The Importance of Damping in Simple Harmonic Motion Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses various aspects of oscillations, including the effect of damping on S.H.M., the relationship between mass density and frequency, and the role of good suspension in preventing resonance. The conversation also touches on the topic of forced oscillations and the calculation of k in an equation.
krissh
Q+MS.png

I need help for the second part please. How do the oscillations being damped prevent them from being S.H.M. as well the other 2 points? I need an explanation so I can understand. The oscillations would still have the same time period eve if they are damped.

Q+MS 2.png

Low frequency due to mass/density (of spheres)

Can someone please explain that to me as I don't understand it.

Q+MS 3.png

Isn't T supposed to be constant as it is independent of the amplitude theta, right?

T=2π√(m/k)
So surely as m increases T increases like the graph of y=√x?

How does good suspension in a car help prevent resonance in the various parts of the car?
Prevention of resonance:
Damps oscillations (1)
Fewer forced oscillations (1)
Explanation of damping [e.g. in terms of energy transfers] (1) Max 2

For the last part, I understand that the suspension damps oscillations, but I'm not fully sure how there are fewer forced oscillations. Is it because that the damping causes the oscillations to die away quicker, so they stop quicker. Hence there are fewer forced oscillations?

Q+MS 5.png

I think the MS answer is wrong as I got k=1.40Nm^-1 using T=2π√(m/k). What did others get?

THANKS SO MUCH!:biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
krissh said:
View attachment 65258
I need help for the second part please. How do the oscillations being damped prevent them from being S.H.M. as well the other 2 points? I need an explanation so I can understand. The oscillations would still have the same time period eve if they are damped.
What do the letters "S.H.M." stand for? Does this describe damped harmonic motion?

Low frequency due to mass/density (of spheres)
Can someone please explain that to me as I don't understand it.
How does the mass density affect the movement?

Isn't T supposed to be constant as it is independent of the amplitude theta, right?
Depends.

T=2π√(m/k)
So surely as m increases T increases like the graph of y=√x?
That equation makes some assumptions about the system - what if those assumptions do not hold?

How does good suspension in a car help prevent resonance in the various parts of the car?
Prevention of resonance:
Damps oscillations (1)
Fewer forced oscillations (1)
Explanation of damping [e.g. in terms of energy transfers] (1) Max 2

For the last part, I understand that the suspension damps oscillations, but I'm not fully sure how there are fewer forced oscillations. Is it because that the damping causes the oscillations to die away quicker, so they stop quicker. Hence there are fewer forced oscillations?
When the suspension is good - what do you want to happen to the oscillations?
Think about situations where you experience good suspension.

I think the MS answer is wrong as I got k=1.40Nm^-1 using T=2π√(m/k). What did others get?
Nope - that would amount to "doing the work for you", which is not allowed.
How did you get that answer? What was your reasoning?

Related to The Importance of Damping in Simple Harmonic Motion Explained

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with a restoring force that is directly proportional to its displacement from the equilibrium point. This results in a sinusoidal or wave-like motion.

2. What are the characteristics of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The characteristics of Simple Harmonic Motion include a constant amplitude, a constant period, and a sinusoidal or wave-like motion. The restoring force is also proportional to the displacement, and the motion is reversible, meaning the object will pass through the same points in its path when moving in either direction.

3. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from the equilibrium point, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. This equation can also be written as x = A sin(ωt + φ) depending on the initial conditions of the motion.

4. What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some common examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include a swinging pendulum, a mass-spring system, and a vibrating guitar string. Other examples include a child on a swing, the motion of a piston in an engine, and the motion of a satellite in orbit.

5. How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to energy?

Simple Harmonic Motion has a relationship with energy in that the total energy of a system in SHM is conserved. This means that the sum of the kinetic energy and potential energy remains constant throughout the motion. As the object moves towards its equilibrium point, potential energy increases and kinetic energy decreases. As the object moves away from the equilibrium point, potential energy decreases and kinetic energy increases, but the total energy remains the same.