The important non-fundamental electrical components?

In summary, through various classes, the fundamentals of electronics such as resistors, inductors, capacitors, BJTs, Mosfets, and FETS have been learned. Other fundamental components that should be considered include transformers, antennas, heat sinks, fuses, and diodes. Additionally, gates and PCBs can also be considered fundamental within their own contexts. For those interested in telecommunications, wire should also be a key component to consider, especially in regards to minimizing reflection and taking into account impedance.
Boltzman Oscillation
TL;DR Summary
What are the most important non-fundamental components I should learn about.
Through my 2 analog classes and 2 electronics classes I have learned about resistors, inductors, capacitors, BJTs, Mosfets, and FETS. What are some other fundamental components that I should be taking a look at? To add to this, I don't consider gates as fundamental because they are built up from transistors and thus I don't count them here.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might have to say more about what you consider fundamental and composite (or whatever other term). Would these qualify?
  • Transformers (for isolation, impedance transformation, impedance matching, power conversion, etc.)
  • Antennas (all different sizes and shapes and frequency bands)
  • Heat sinks
  • Fuses / MOVs / TVS devices, etc.

Likes dlgoff and DaveE
I find it amusing that nowhere in this thread has the lowly diode been mentioned.

Likes sophiecentaur
Averagesupernova said:
I find it amusing that nowhere in this thread has the lowly diode been mentioned.
Lol yeah the diode too.

berkeman said:
You might have to say more about what you consider fundamental and composite (or whatever other term). Would these qualify?
  • Transformers (for isolation, impedance transformation, impedance matching, power conversion, etc.)
  • Antennas (all different sizes and shapes and frequency bands)
  • Heat sinks
  • Fuses / MOVs / TVS devices, etc.
Fundamental to me is similar to something that cannot be broken down into other components and is used to build up other components.

Light emitting diodes, Photodiodes, Thermisters, piezoelectric elements, liquid crystal displays,various solid state lasers

Wire! :DD:sorry::wink:

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes dlgoff, hutchphd, anorlunda and 3 others
Boltzman Oscillation said:
I don't consider gates as fundamental...
Then you are wrong. Gates are fundamental within their own context.

Well, just around the wires: PCBs are fundamental too.

Rive said:
Then you are wrong. Gates are fundamental within their own context.
As are boxcars in the context of a train. Just depends on where you choose the demarcation for discussion.

Do you have a rough idea of what kind of things you want to work on when you graduate?

Joshy said:
Do you have a rough idea of what kind of things you want to work on when you graduate?
Yes, telecommunications.

Tom.G said:
Wire! :DD:sorry::wink:
See people laugh at you but wire is something you should be considering specially with long wires. You also want to make sure you minimize reflection and thus you have to take into consideration the impedance of the wire.

1. What are some examples of non-fundamental electrical components?

Non-fundamental electrical components include resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, and transistors. These components are essential for controlling the flow of electricity in a circuit.

2. How do non-fundamental electrical components differ from fundamental components?

Fundamental electrical components, such as wires and batteries, are necessary for creating a basic circuit. Non-fundamental components, on the other hand, are used to modify or enhance the behavior of a circuit.

3. What is the role of resistors in a circuit?

Resistors are used to limit the flow of electricity in a circuit. They are often used to control the amount of current that passes through a particular part of a circuit.

4. How do capacitors store and release electrical energy?

Capacitors store electrical energy in an electric field between two conductive plates. When the capacitor is connected to a circuit, it can release this stored energy to provide a burst of power.

5. What are the main functions of diodes and transistors?

Diodes are used to control the direction of current flow in a circuit, while transistors are used to amplify or switch electrical signals. Both components are essential for the operation of electronic devices.