The impossibility of any life due to an expanding universe and entropy

In summary, according to the information given, it seems that the universe will eventually reach a point where all energy and matter transformations will cease, making it impossible for any form of life to exist.
aipragma
Hi All,

I'm a newbie here and I don't know enough about physics to answer my question, so I will submit what I think I know to be true, then pose some questions, therefore please pardon any allowable mistakes.

1) Time is immaterial for my purposes in this posting, at least in a non-cosmic(local) manner, so there is no need to be apologetic, in any manner, for relationships with local time versus cosmic time (i.e. relationships with local time for instance for our kind of life forms, etc.)

2) Let's assume that an neverending expanding universe is more probable versus the universe reaching a state where it will start to collapse in on itself. In the end, it doesn't matter which one, at least for my purposes, but nonetheless let's assume the expanding universe.

3) Entropy is an intrinsic property of all energy/matter transformations.

4) Taking the assumption in (2) to be true of an neverending expanding universe, then the universe will reach some point where ALL energy/matter transformations will no longer be possible, due to the entropic properties of energy/matter transformations.

5) Questions:
a) Am I so far correct (in laymen's terms)?
b) Will the universe eventually reach the point (based on the assumption in (2)) where all is star dust (with absolutely no more energy/matter transformations) thus making it impossible for any form of life (not just our own) to exist?

Thanks,
Ai Pragma

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Whenever I take any classes at my local university, teachers insist on never using sources like wikipedia due to the unreliability of its sources, nonetheless I enjoyed reading the content given at that link you provided.

Thx.

I don't really care what teachers or academia say about wikipedia. It should be used with caution and context, but it has helped me so many times in engineering work and in my studies. Textbooks are just as prone to errors and false information since their level of peer review can vary widely. Until there is something else in as clear a format that is free and has as much information with more credible sources, I'll always use wikipedia.

I agree with DragonPetter, as long as you read it critically Wikipedia is one of the best sources out there. It does have editors and contributors, it boggles my mind that people seem to have this vision of it being a free-for-all forum where everything is wrong.

I have a problem with your poll, non of the options are valid. What you say fits with contemporary understanding but in science we never use terms like "absolutely correct". Due to the heat death there will be a point when no interactions take place so by our current understanding there will be no possibility of life.

Freeman Dyson did suggest some possible way of around the heat death[/url] but it seems like a flawed and impossible concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.
I'm eliminating the poll, for brevity sake.

1. Will the universe eventually expand to the point where life is no longer possible?

No, the expansion of the universe will not directly lead to the impossibility of life. While the expansion may cause challenges for life forms, it is not the sole factor determining the existence of life.

2. How does entropy play a role in the impossibility of life in an expanding universe?

Entropy, or the tendency for systems to become increasingly disordered over time, can impact the availability of energy and resources necessary for life. As the universe expands and becomes more chaotic, the amount of usable energy decreases, making it difficult for life to thrive.

3. Could advanced technology or adaptations allow for life to continue in an expanding universe?

It is possible that advanced civilizations could develop technology or adaptations that allow for survival in an expanding universe. However, it is also possible that the entropy of the universe may eventually make it impossible for any form of life to exist.

4. Are there any known examples of life forms that have adapted to an expanding universe?

As far as we know, there are no known examples of life forms that have adapted to an expanding universe. However, this does not mean that it is impossible for such adaptations to occur in the future.

5. Could alternative universes or dimensions exist where life is not affected by the expansion and entropy of our universe?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of alternative universes or dimensions. While it is a popular concept in science fiction, it is not a proven scientific theory and therefore cannot be used to explain the possibility of life in an expanding universe.