Is the Universe Expanding Due to Spinning?

In summary: I did not read post #7. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for clearing that up.In summary, Christopher R. believes that if the universe were spinning, there would be outward pull, and therefore keep the universe expanding. This could solve the dark energy problem, as if the universe was spinning, there would be outward pull. However, there is no evidence that the universe is spinning, and therefore this solution is not possible.
R0dr1go
TL;DR Summary
Is the universe spinning? Plus rotational inertia calculations.
Hello all,

I recently did a thought experiment and thought, "what if the universe as a whole is spinning?" This could solve the dark energy problem, as if the universe was spinning, there would be outward pull, and therefore keep the universe expanding. And, I don't know if this means anything, but I did a rotational inertia calculation for the visible universe and came up with the number 6.99*10^63, and the percentage of dark energy in the universe is 69%. This could mean absolutely nothing, as they are two different numbers, but I found that kind of interesting. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Christopher R.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore, davenn, PeroK and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
R0dr1go said:
This could solve the dark energy problem, as if the universe was spinning, there would be outward pull

Why would there be an outward pull?

R0dr1go said:
Is the universe spinning?
And just where do you think the center is that it is spinning about?

Your question is asked here several times a year. I suggest a forum search to gain understanding of why it makes no sense.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
And just where do you think the center is that it is spinning about?

Your question is asked here several times a year. I suggest a forum search to gain understanding of why it makes no sense.
I found this old thread where you essentially posted the same thing and were told you were wrong. :)

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-spinning-universe.72186/post-3238600

• Skeptical
Likes davenn, lomidrevo and PeroK
Thanks for the link, Vela. I can't remember ever reading about the possibility of rotation being intrinsic in GR before.
@R0dr1go from the other thread:

Because all of the present observation are consistent with zero rotational velocity, it is not possible to attribute any prominent cosmological role to rotation. In particular, centrifugal forces cannot contribute significantly to cosmological expansion.

Likes lomidrevo
Naively, I would say that "rotating universe" doesn't make any sense unless you embed 4-dimensional universe into higher-dimensional "ambient" spacetime. But that seems to be wrong as I further read about the Goedel metric mentioned in the thread linked by @vela in post #4. The metric looks like a solution to Einstein's equation in regular 4D spacetime.

Anyway, the observations suggest that we are not living in a rotating universe. Few statements from wiki:
Besides rotating, this model exhibits no Hubble expansion, so it is not a realistic model of the universe in which we live, but can be taken as illustrating an alternative universe
Less well known solutions of Gödel's exhibit both rotation and Hubble expansion and have other qualities of his first model, but traveling into the past is not possible. According to S. W. Hawking, these models could well be a reasonable description of the universe that we observe, however observational data are compatible only with a very low rate of rotation.

Likes PeroK
vela said:
I found this old thread where you essentially posted the same thing and were told you were wrong. :)

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/a-spinning-universe.72186/post-3238600
Ah yes. You are correct. Thanks. I forgot that there IS a math solution that shows rotation with no center. I see @Drakkith has already quoted what I think is the most pertinent observation in that thread (aside from the fact that there can be a solution without a center)

Thanks for the feedback! I now see the errors in my question, and why it couldn't be possible. Although this particular thought wasn't the answer to the universe, every question lies an answer, whether as noticeable as the sun or as hidden as quarks. Thanks again!

I mean if you think about it every galaxy would have to be spinning around the same thing for us not to hit each other so as it is a possibility I don't think well ever know I know it's short but that's what I believe.

AndrewWayneHarville said:
I mean if you think about it every galaxy would have to be spinning around the same thing for us not to hit each other...
I take it you did not read post #7

1. Is the Universe spinning?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that the entire Universe is spinning. However, individual objects within the Universe, such as planets and galaxies, can spin on their own axis.

2. How does the Universe rotate?

The Universe does not rotate as a whole, but it does have certain regions that rotate. For example, our own Milky Way galaxy rotates around its center, and planets rotate on their own axis as they orbit around the sun.

3. What causes the rotation of objects in the Universe?

The rotation of objects in the Universe is caused by the conservation of angular momentum. This means that as objects form and collapse, their rotational speed increases due to the conservation of their initial angular momentum.

4. Is there a center point of rotation for the Universe?

Since the Universe does not rotate as a whole, there is no single center point of rotation. However, galaxies and other structures within the Universe may have their own centers of rotation.

5. Could the Universe start spinning in the future?

It is highly unlikely that the entire Universe will start spinning in the future. The laws of physics do not support such a drastic change in the rotation of the Universe. However, individual objects within the Universe may continue to spin or change their rotational speed over time.