The James Webb Space Telescope

In summary, the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a highly advanced telescope that is set to launch in 2021. It is designed to study the universe in infrared light and will be able to see further and with more clarity than any other telescope before it. The JWST will be placed in orbit around the Sun, approximately 1.5 million kilometers from Earth, and will be able to observe objects dating back to the early universe. Its primary goals include studying the formation of galaxies, the birth of stars and planets, and potentially even finding signs of life on other planets. The JWST is expected to provide groundbreaking discoveries and revolutionize our understanding of the universe.
This one is also pretty good with some 3D topography.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
NASA released an alignment picture. 18 images of a star, one from each segment. They already know which image is from which segment. The alignment will put the star in focus in each of them and then move them all to the same spot.

Likes Motore, BvU, collinsmark and 2 others
mfb said:
NASA released an alignment picture. 18 images of a star, one from each segment. They already know which image is from which segment. The alignment will put the star in focus in each of them and then move them all to the same spot.
This may not seem like much, but to me this is a huge step. It means the detectors are working and they are able to read out the data from the detectors and send it back to Earth.

Likes Hamiltonian, collinsmark, BillTre and 2 others
phyzguy said:
This may not seem like much, but to me this is a huge step. It means the detectors are working and they are able to read out the data from the detectors and send it back to Earth.
They must be able to identify each mirror without 'turning off' the others. Wobbling it a bit is the only way I could think of. No wonder it's all taking a long time. It's going to be even more of a problem when all the images are in one place; wobbling will have a much more subtle effect when an image is in amongst all the others. A very painstaking system and (yet again) very impressive. Unlike Apollo, there is no room for any seat of the pants stuff here.

Likes BillTre and berkeman
I think wobbling the mirrors one at a time is exactly how they determined which spot goes with which mirror.

Yes. And the positioning is so precise that they can get back accurately to the starting point.
Much harder when they are looking at an interference pattern of multiple beams.

The topic of this video is the mirror actuator mechanism that allows such precise adjustments. Very clever mechanical engineering. The video producer 3D printed a replica to test and demonstrate which IMO is also very clever.

• Wow
Likes Tom.G, sophiecentaur, BvU and 2 others
JWST power supply; any left over?
The life of the vehicle is said to be limited by the amount of fuel available. Also, they have been ultra careful with the navigation so much less fuel was used and its estimated life is now double what was expected.

My question is, though, why didn't they use an electrical propulsion system, powered by PV panels, for station keeping? The potential surface it sits on has a very gentle slope so the energy needed would be very little, at anyone time. A few m2 of PV panels (or less?) could provide an endless electrical supply for an Ion Drive, for instance.

Perhaps the project started so long ago that the decision to use a rocket engine was made with 'older' technology in mind.

On the same sort of topic, how much power does the refrigeration system use? I heard that it only works at all because the passive system keeps the refrigerant cold enough already. Other low noise imagers on other missions have needed to take fuel with them to achieve the same cooling facility.

My guess: ions would condense out on mirror. Just a guess.

sophiecentaur said:
My question is, though, why didn't they use an electrical propulsion system, powered by PV panels, for station keeping?
There are too many factors for us to speculate on the optimum choice. Mass, simplicity, reliability, contamination (as @hutchphd suggests), plus more I can't think of.

But the pressure to make JWST last a long time is deprecated by these four additional projects coming "soon" that may surpass JWST's capabilities.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...es-webb-space-telescope.1008536/#post-6558722

Likes sophiecentaur
hutchphd said:
My guess: ions would condense out on mirror. Just a guess.
Yikes - I never thought of that - however, the ions would be traveling much faster than rocket ejecta so would they not disperse more?

I presume there is a distribution of speeds emitted... is there a slow tail? Also do you build up a noticeable opposite charge on the spacecraft ? I really have no idea here as to the numbers

Curiosity led me to look into the Ion drive as far as issues of compatibility with JWST. Its all way over my head but this link seems to have an abundance of info on Ion drive development as well as pro vs. con points. Perhaps someone more academically inclined may get something useful from it. I believe the attitude is controlled mainly with reaction wheels rather than boosters, I could be wrong about this but it seems this is the the way I remember it.
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0010134
An update, it seems reaction wheels as well as boosters are used.

https://jwst-docs.stsci.edu/jwst-ob...acecraft -bus/jwst-attitude-control-subsystem

https://jwst-docs.stsci.edu/jwst-observatory-hardware/jwst- spacecraft -bus/jwst-propulsion

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
They must be able to identify each mirror without 'turning off' the others. Wobbling it a bit is the only way I could think of. No wonder it's all taking a long time. It's going to be even more of a problem when all the images are in one place; wobbling will have a much more subtle effect when an image is in amongst all the others. A very painstaking system and (yet again) very impressive. Unlike Apollo, there is no room for any seat of the pants stuff here.
If I understand correctly, mostly they just adjust the telescope's pointing, not so much the mirrors to get the initial state. I could be wrong, but it is a reasonable proposition that none of the primary mirrors have the same aim prior to alignment. It only took a handful of captures to identify which mirror corresponded to which target. Don't be so pessimistic.

valenumr said:
If I understand correctly, mostly they just adjust the telescope's pointing, not so much the mirrors to get the initial state. I could be wrong, but it is a reasonable proposition that none of the primary mirrors have the same aim prior to alignment. It only took a handful of captures to identify which mirror corresponded to which target. Don't be so pessimistic.
Not “pessimistic”, just saying that it’s easier to spot one image moving about on its own and one image moving amongst 17 others when they are all on the same basic spot. Wouldn’t you also expect an interference pattern?

valenumr said:
Don't be so pessimistic.
I dunno, seems like a pretty hard problem to me unless you can cover up individual mirrors somehow (which they can't). Anybody know how often they plan to re-calibrate the alignments? Once a "day", once a year, etc.?

sophiecentaur said:
Wouldn’t you also expect an interference pattern?
The alignment of each optical axis seems almost "easy". If fact at first cosideration the most difficult part if this design would seem to me to get the distance to the center of each mirror exactly adjusted. Each of those (d~1m) mirrors will produce a Rayleigh limit $$\theta =1.22\frac \lambda d$$ but for the coherently adjusted group of 18 where $$D\approx 4d$$ then the diffraction spot gets smaller by 4. How do they get that distance correct?

berkeman said:
I dunno, seems like a pretty hard problem to me unless you can cover up individual mirrors somehow (which they can't). Anybody know how often they plan to re-calibrate the alignments? Once a "day", once a year, etc.?

According to the article below, they'll do a check every few days, it seems.

hutchphd said:
The alignment of each optical axis seems almost "easy". If fact at first cosideration the most difficult part if this design would seem to me to get the distance to the center of each mirror exactly adjusted. Each of those (d~1m) mirrors will produce a Rayleigh limit $$\theta =1.22\frac \lambda d$$ but for the coherently adjusted group of 18 where $$D\approx 4d$$ then the diffraction spot gets smaller by 4. How do they get that distance correct?

This article might shine some light:
https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/12753

During coarse phasing, engineers point the telescope toward a bright star and use NIRCam to find any large offsets between the mirror segments (though “large” is relative, and in this case it means mere millimeters). NIRCam has a special filter wheel that can select, or filter, specific optical elements that are used during the coarse phasing process. While Webb looks at the bright star, grisms in the filter wheel will spread the white light of the star out on a detector. Grisms, also called grating prisms, are used to separate light of different wavelengths. To an observer, these different wavelengths appear as parallel line segments on a detector.

[...]

During fine phasing, engineers will again focus the telescope on a bright star. This time, they will use NIRCam to take 18 out-of-focus images of that star — one from each mirror segment. The engineers then use computer algorithms to determine the overall shape of the primary mirror from those individual images, and to determine how they must move the mirrors to align them. These algorithms were previously tested and verified on a 1/6th scale model of Webb’s optics, and the real telescope experienced this process inside the cryogenic, airless environment of Chamber A at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston. Engineers will go through multiple fine-phasing sessions until those 18 separate, out-of-focus images become a single, clear image.

[...]

The entire alignment process is expected to take several months, and once Webb begins making observations, its mirrors will need to be checked every few days to ensure they are still aligned

• Informative
Likes berkeman, Filip Larsen and hutchphd
Motore said:
This site (the Webb blog) was referred here several times already, so if you are interested I would advise you to look it up every once in a while.
Well now I know and that is indeed a very nicely presented synopsis. I'm pleased I was asking the right questions: it makes the answers more satisfying ! First time I've seen the term "piston difference" which is very descriptive.

hutchphd said:
First time I've seen the term "piston difference" which is very descriptive.

If you're interested in the actuators' engineering, here is a good video with a working, 3D-printed replica of the actuators:

Attachments

• telescope_alignment_evaluation_image_labeled.jpg
    telescope_alignment_evaluation_image_labeled.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Love
Likes sophiecentaur, valenumr, mfb and 2 others
Casual observations of some extremely far away galaxies taken while still aligning the telescope.

That star is magnitude 11, so even amateur telescopes can see it - it's extremely bright compared to typical JWST targets. You can see three pairs of diffraction spikes from the mirror borders and smaller horizontal diffraction spikes from the support of the secondary mirror (the other spikes from that are merged with the mirror segment spikes). These things will be far less prominent in science exposures, as it's obvious from the background galaxies.

• Informative
Likes nsaspook, pinball1970, anorlunda and 2 others
fresh_42 said:
Which bit is what here?

Circled the whole image conventional? On the right, same area with Webb?

pinball1970 said:
Which bit is what here?

Circled the whole image conventional? On the right, same area with Webb?
It was said to be the first sharp image from Webb in the article.

Likes pinball1970 and Oldman too
On "killing time" while awaiting commissioning... about that commissioning,
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/20205010662

After looking at the last image posted (the background was a nice bonus), I decided to look into some of the instrument details to get an idea of what's in store when the science begins.Reading through this site, https://webbtelescope.org/resource-gallery/articles/pagecontent/filter-articles/how-does-webb-see-the-universe.html
it links me to, https://sci.esa.int/web/jwst/-/45694-nirspec-the-near-infrared-spectrograph
This is a truly amazing instrument, https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/about/innovations/microshutters.htm
"Capable of measuring the spectra of up to 200 objects simultaneously in a 3.4 arcminute × 3.6 arcminute field of view."Looking into Webb's connectivity, it's better than I thought.
"Webb can downlink at least 57.2 gigabytes of recorded science data each day, with a maximum data rate of 28 megabits per second."This video explains its title nicely.

"Webb's Field of Regard"

It's also worth noting that someone must have learned a thing or two from the Hubble primary mirror issue, this looks like a contingency plan should there be a problem with optics on JWST.
https://jwst.nasa.gov/content/about/innovations/wavefront.html

And a couple of random upcoming science proposals.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2111.14865

https://arxiv.org/abs/2109.03829

Cheers, Scott

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes phinds, valenumr and pinball1970
This a pretty cool comparison of the same shot from spitzer:

Likes mfb, phyzguy and pinball1970
As I recall Spitzer mirror was about 1 meter. So that looks just about perfect! Great

Likes valenumr