The James Webb Space Telescope

In summary, the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a highly advanced telescope that is set to launch in 2021. It is designed to study the universe in infrared light and will be able to see further and with more clarity than any other telescope before it. The JWST will be placed in orbit around the Sun, approximately 1.5 million kilometers from Earth, and will be able to observe objects dating back to the early universe. Its primary goals include studying the formation of galaxies, the birth of stars and planets, and potentially even finding signs of life on other planets. The JWST is expected to provide groundbreaking discoveries and revolutionize our understanding of the universe.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Oldman too said:
Brilliant!

They need a new graphic now though.

Otherwise we will just sit at “stage 7 complete” for the next two months.

1651235353703.png

• Haha
Likes Oldman too and anorlunda
pinball1970 said:
That would be such a cruel irony, (considering how smoothly the progress has been so far) they They must be planning some type of sideshow.

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Brilliant!

They need a new graphic now though.

Oldman too said:
That would be such a cruel irony, (considering how smoothly the progress has been so far) they They must be planning some type of sideshow.

NASA graphics have made small changes https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/whereIsWebb.html

Smallish. This is NASA though, I will take it.

Today

1651581592474.png

Last week

1651581611956.png

Last edited:
Likes Oldman too
pinball1970 said:
I had no need to worry.
I know, I just want to be able to say that after science operations begins. An amazing job so far though.

pinball1970 said:
They have pushed back the curser on the progress line, we are now only 84% of the way along whereas last week we were at 98%.
I guess that's one way to define progress.

Likes pinball1970
Oldman too said:
I know, I just want to be able to say that after science operations begins. An amazing job so far though.I guess that's one way to define progress.
I was being a tad facetious. Obviously everything has gone like clock work so far and that's great. However since we cannot see it and we are not getting images (besides those few cool images) it's nice to see each milestone pass successfully and the next few goals.
Let's see what they do.

Last edited:
Likes Oldman too
Have you seen this image? How's that for progress??!
IR_Telescope_Comparison_03May22.png

Likes pinball1970, russ_watters, berkeman and 5 others
That's a bit misleading - WISE is actually younger (2009/10) than Spitzer (2003). It just had a smaller primary mirror (40cm vs Spitzer's 85cm, if Wikipedia is to be believed), presumably because WISE was a sky survey instrument.

Webb, of course, has a 6.5m main mirror.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, mfb and Oldman too
phyzguy said:
Have you seen this image? How's that for progress??!View attachment 300975
Amazing! Tremendously amazing!

Likes pinball1970
Oldman too said:
I guess that's one way to define progress.

It is a computer science tradition. The progress bar chugs along until it gets to 95% then freezes.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, Oldman too, vanhees71 and 1 other person
phyzguy said:
Have you seen this image? How's that for progress??!View attachment 300975

Ibix said:
That's a bit misleading - WISE is actually younger (2009/10) than Spitzer (2003). It just had a smaller primary mirror (40cm vs Spitzer's 85cm, if Wikipedia is to be believed), presumably because WISE was a sky survey instrument.

Webb, of course, has a 6.5m main mirror.
I saw those images on youtube and was sceptical as I do not know enough about the technology to judge if the comparison was fair or not.

The first image on WISE looks like its pixels have been blown up. So it would look blurred compared to the other two.

I found this discussion.

https://www.universetoday.com/15568...compare-webb-to-other-infrared-observatories/

• Informative
Likes russ_watters and Oldman too
pinball1970 said:
The first image on WISE looks like its pixels have been blown up. So it would look blurred compared to the other two.
You'd pick your pixel size to match the telescope resolution, so the smaller telescopes would have fewer pixels in an image of the same region of sky. There's no point in spending lots of money getting a super fine grid on a big blur, and you'd get fewer photons per pixel into the bargain. So the size of the blobs of light is a function of the optics, and the size of the pixels is a function of how big you calculate the blobs are going to be. Notice that the biggest blob just above the center of the image is ~10 pixels across in both the WISE and Spitzer images.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman, BillTre, Oldman too and 1 other person
All the numbers are now the same brightness. So not greyed out.
Screenshot_2022-05-13-13-19-56.png
Screenshot_2022-05-14-14-13-44.png

There is the big tick too, I love the big tick! The press conference said the number of checks now out of 1000s was now at 200 or so but that was on the 9th May.

Last edited:
Likes Oldman too
Last edited:
Likes Oldman too
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970
Likes Astranut and Oldman too
The instrument checkout page has a first completed item, images with NIRCam.

There are rumors that 55 Cancri might be one of the first, or even the first, target. It has five known exoplanets, the innermost orbits the star in less than a day.

• Informative
Likes atyy, Oldman too, Lord Crc and 1 other person
mfb said:
On the where is Webb? page that has been linked multiple times.Deployable Tower Assembly is in progress.
I have tried Where's Webb from 6.30am BST till now. It never fails on my desk top and never mid week. Can you access?
Edit. Where's Webb is back. Normal. Nominal.

Last edited:
Likes atyy
mfb said:
NIRISS now has "Imaging (parallel only)" as completed step.

One mirror segment was hit by a larger than expected micrometeoroid. The impact on data-taking is likely small but they are still studying it.
This is a from DEC 2017

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...-about-the-toughness-of-nasa-s-webb-telescope

“Q: Once Webb is in orbit, how susceptible will it be to micrometeoroid strikes? For example, what would happen if one of Webb’s primary mirror segments or the sunshield got struck?

Paul: Although space is mostly empty, there is some debris. In the inner Solar System where Webb will orbit, we have a good understanding of what the population of meteoroids is like from years of observations and research. It’s mostly dust and very small particles, with the majority being sparsely distributed and tinier than grains of sand. There are some pebbles, rocks, and boulders, but they are very sparse and very rare. At Webb’s orbit at L2, the debris is all natural and the environment is not as hazardous as it is much closer to Earth, where there is a fair amount of human-generated “space junk.”

We know Webb will get struck by micrometeoroids during its lifetime, and we have taken that into account in its design and construction. We sized Webb’s main mirror so that even after years of little impacts it will still have the reflective surface area and quality necessary to do the science. We even did tests on the ground that emulated micrometeoroid impacts to demonstrate what will happen to the mirrors in space.

Similarly, part of the reason the sunshield has five layers is so it can tolerate more than the number of expected small holes, and even some tears, and still work as it should.
Also, almost all of Webb’s sensitive components (besides the mirrors and sunshield) are protected behind “micrometeoroid armor.” When micrometeoroids do strike, most are so small that they totally disintegrate upon impact, even when they hit something thin like thermal blankets or a sunshield membrane. Critical wires and electronics are shielded behind even more robust metal “armor” or inside metal boxes.”
So when you say, “larger than expected” you mean from the data they had on the environment at L2 prior to launch?

The site was down for a while, any connection? Or was that just to update the instrument completion?

Likes atyy and fresh_42
All spacecraft are expected to experience and designed to withstand micrometeoroid impacts, and JWST is no different. The observatory's engineers even subjected mirror samples to real impacts to understand how such events might affect the mission's science.

However, the recent impact was larger than those that mission personnel had modeled or could test on the ground, according to the statement.
from the link provided by @mfb

• Informative
Likes atyy and pinball1970
Motore said:
from the link provided by @mfb
165 days since launch, 33 days till first image I was just hoping the words meteor/micrometeoroid would not feature significantly on the thread before July 12th.

Likes Oldman too, atyy and hutchphd
Better news, A few more signed off yesterday.

1655277352139.png

Likes Oldman too and collinsmark
An early contender for observation time, the "Next Generation Deep Extragalactic Exploratory Public" will build on Hubble's deep field observations. The "P.I." is a Hubble Fellow with plenty of experience in Deep Field, high redshift work.
From the news release: https://webbtelescope.org/contents/news-releases/2022/news-2022-015.html
(“We’re using two science instruments at once, and they will observe continuously.” They will point Webb’s Near-Infrared Imager and Slitless Spectrograph (NIRISS) on the primary Hubble Ultra Deep Field, and Webb’s Near-Infrared Camera (NIRCam) on the parallel field, getting twice the bang for their “buck” of telescope time.)

Principal Investigator, Prof. S. Finkelstein
NGDEEP Proposal #2079 Cycle: 1, GO
https://www.stsci.edu/jwst/phase2-public/2079.pdf

An overview from the above pdf.
"We propose NGDEEP: The Webb Deep Extragalactic Exploratory Public Survey. NGDEEP leverages efficient parallel observations over 121.7 hr with NIRISS in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field (HUDF) and NIRCam in the HUDF-Par2 field to constrain the physical processes dominating feedback in galaxies from z~1-12. Observing with JWST in the HUDFs leverages off the deepest optical imaging from Hubble and makes NGDEEP a premier legacy field for both missions.

NGDEEP observes deeply with NIRISS (60-190 ks) to detect faint emission lines (~ 10^-18 cgs) for >1000 mostly low-mass (log M/Msol = 7-9) galaxies. NGDEEP-NIRISS will enable robust constraints on the low-mass end of the mass-metallicity relation and constrain stochastic star-formation by probing H-alpha based star-formation rates to 0.1 Msol/yr in these low-mass galaxies. These measurements will limit chemical enrichment and feedback physical prescriptions in models, which are currently unconstrained at these masses.

In parallel, NGDEEP will obtain the deepest 6-band NIRCam imaging (m~30.6-30.9) on the HUDF-Par2 field. NGDEEP-NIRCam will probe z > 12, and constrain stellar feedback prescriptions in models by precisely measuring the shape of the faint-end of the UV luminosity function at z~10. These data will provide unprecedented morphological detail in galaxies at all redshifts, and reconnoiter the sites of first black hole formation.

Being public immediately, NGDEEP follows in the footsteps of the Hubble deep field programs, enabling the community to explore the power of Webb when pushed to its limits. As a treasury program, we are committed to the rapid reduction and release of high-quality reduced data products and catalogs."

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Filip Larsen said:
Almost there. It appears that we should be ready to become teary eyed on July 12th ...
https://arstechnica.com/science/202...dinary-images-captured-by-its-webb-telescope/
Yes Just two modes to sign off and If the NASA scientists are overcome with emotion at this stage then we should buckle in!
The “our beautiful universe” community will probably go nuts, be great some feedback from them on the 12th

Attachments

• 1656591663705.png
    1656591663705.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 45
Likes collinsmark and Oldman too
Likes Oldman too