The Lagrangian a function of 'v' only and proving v is constant

In summary, the Lagrangian is a function of the magnitude of velocity only, but its derivative with respect to the components of velocity is not constant. This can be shown by taking the partial derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the components of velocity, which yields a factor of 2 multiplied by the velocity components and the derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the magnitude of velocity. This does not automatically prove that the velocity is constant.
Ren Figueroa
Hi everyone. So I'm going through Landau/Lifshitz book on Mechanics and I read through a topic on inertial frames. So, because we are in an inertial frame, the Lagrangian ends up only being a function of the magnitude of the velocity only (v2) Now my question to you is, how does one prove that the velocity is constant like in (3.2)? When I first went through it, I thought it was obvious because it makes sense that the partial derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to velocity has to be a constant in order for the derivative with respect to time to equal zero. But a professor, who is mentoring me, brought it to my attention that this is not as obvious as it looks and once he explained to me why it wasn't obvious, I started to think so too.
Actually, when I think about it, if the Lagrangian is only a function of the magnitude of velocity, then the derivative with respect to time automatically should be zero. But, this doesn't automatically prove that velocity is constant. (At least it doesn't to me) I am curious to know anyone else's explanation/feedback on this subject. Thanks!
(Also, I am not sure if this is a graduate level text or undergraduate but I have already read undergraduate texts by Morin and Taylor. I put the thread under "graduate level" based on what I found on other forums but if it is actually and undergrad text then I apologize!)
I5q0K_reCjlH2qP1Hb3Zk9CmJ-a6XXg-kX_hTsips4C0J-KGStm_BYR1MfI0LHQXLharrYy9elTV7SrGv=w1308-h1742-no.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
While the Lagrangian is a function of the speed only, its derivative with respect to the components of ##\vec v## are not. Generally, if ##L = L(v^2)##, then
$$
\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^i} = L'(v^2) \frac{\partial(v^2)}{dv^i} = 2v^i L'(v^2).
$$

Orodruin said:
While the Lagrangian is a function of the speed only, its derivative with respect to the components of ##\vec v## are not. Generally, if ##L = L(v^2)##, then
$$
\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^i} = L'(v^2) \frac{\partial(v^2)}{dv^i} = 2v^i L'(v^2).
$$
Hi. Thanks for the response. I understood that the derivative is a different type of function, but it doesn't convince me that v is constant. Do you have another explanation to help me through this? Or maybe some recommended literature?

Ren Figueroa said:
Hi. Thanks for the response. I understood that the derivative is a different type of function, but it doesn't convince me that v is constant. Do you have another explanation to help me through this? Or maybe some recommended literature?
Which part do you not understand? Whatever that derivative is is constant and it holds for all components. If you are worried about the ##L'## factor you can easily show that ##v^2## also is constant and therefore so is ##L'(v^2)##.

Normally, the Lagrangian contains the kinetic term ##mv^2/2##, making ##L' = m/2##.

Related to The Lagrangian a function of 'v' only and proving v is constant

1. What is the Lagrangian function of 'v' only?

The Lagrangian function of 'v' only is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system solely in terms of the velocity 'v' of the system. It is derived from the Lagrangian formulation of classical mechanics, which is an alternative to the Newtonian formulation.

2. How is the Lagrangian function of 'v' only different from other Lagrangian functions?

The Lagrangian function of 'v' only is different from other Lagrangian functions in that it does not depend on any other variables such as position, time, or acceleration. This makes it a simplified form of the general Lagrangian function and is often used in systems with constant velocity or when the motion is restricted to a particular path.

3. What does it mean to prove that 'v' is constant using the Lagrangian function of 'v' only?

Proving that 'v' is constant using the Lagrangian function of 'v' only means showing that the velocity 'v' of the system remains constant over time. This can be done by solving the equations of motion derived from the Lagrangian function and showing that the velocity remains the same at all times.

4. What are some applications of the Lagrangian function of 'v' only in science?

The Lagrangian function of 'v' only has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in classical mechanics to study the motion of particles and systems with constant velocity. It is also used in the study of celestial mechanics, fluid dynamics, and control systems.

5. How is the Lagrangian function of 'v' only related to the principle of least action?

The Lagrangian function of 'v' only is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the true path of a system is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity defined by the Lagrangian function. In the case of the Lagrangian function of 'v' only, the action is minimized by keeping the velocity constant, leading to the proof that 'v' is constant.