The "Lifting Your Fridge with a Pulley System

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up a pulley system to lift a fridge weighing 950N to a height of 2.4m. The maximum force that can be applied is 250N. The minimum number of pulleys needed to achieve this is discussed, as well as calculating the distance the rope needs to be pulled. The work done with and without the pulley system is compared, and the IMA of the system is determined. Relevant equations are provided but the conversation notes that the teacher has not taught how to apply them to this type of problem.
Practice

Homework Statement

You wish to put your fridge on the second floor of your house (again).
You decide to rig up a pulley system so as to not overexert yourself.
Your maximum force is 250N and the fridge weighs 950N.

a) diagram a pulley system using the fewest number of pulleys, which can achieve
this feat
b)The fridge must be raised 2.4 m, how far must you pull the rope?
(Hint: you can still calculate this without the diagram)
c) Calculate the work done using the pulley system and the work you
would have done without the pulley system.
d) What is the IMA of the system?

Homework Equations

W=F*D
P= W/t
AMA= FL/FA
IMA= DA/DL
EFFICIENCY= (work done by machine/work done on machine)x 100
or
EFFICIENCY= (AMA/IMA) * 100

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done anything at all? How about applying some of those equations?

What "mechanical advantage" do you need? (In other words, how many times the maximum force you can apply is the weight of the fridge?) Since the total work you do does not change (conservation of energy) over what distance must you apply your maximum force to be equal to the "weight times distance" for the fridge?

Your "relevant equations" are meaningless unless you know what the letters stand. I might guess that "W= FD" is "work", "force" and "distance" but what are "FL", "FA", "DA", and "DL"?

wait

I didn't do anything yet because our teacher did not teach us how to do problems with pulleys, or a problem like this in general.
da: distance applied
dl: distance load
fl:force load
fa:force applied.
I just don't know how to start it, if I get a lead on how to do it I think I'll be able to get through it.

1. How does a pulley system work to lift a fridge?

A pulley system is composed of a rope or cable, a fixed point (such as a ceiling beam), and one or more pulleys. By looping the rope through the pulleys and attaching one end to the fridge and the other end to a counterweight, the weight of the fridge is distributed and it becomes easier to lift.

2. What materials do I need to create a pulley system for lifting my fridge?

To create a basic pulley system for lifting a fridge, you will need a rope or cable, one or more pulleys (depending on the weight of the fridge), a fixed point (such as a ceiling beam or sturdy hook), and a counterweight (such as a bucket filled with sand or water).

3. How much weight can a pulley system lift?

The weight that a pulley system can lift depends on the number of pulleys used and the strength of the rope or cable. With a single fixed pulley, the maximum weight that can be lifted is equal to the weight of the counterweight. However, by adding more pulleys and increasing the mechanical advantage, a pulley system can lift much heavier objects.

4. Is it safe to lift a fridge with a pulley system?

If the pulley system is set up correctly and all materials are in good condition, it can be safe to lift a fridge with a pulley system. It is important to use a sturdy rope or cable, secure the pulleys properly, and make sure the counterweight is heavy enough to balance the weight of the fridge.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a pulley system for lifting a fridge?

Yes, there are other ways to lift a fridge, such as using a dolly or enlisting the help of another person. However, a pulley system can be a more efficient and less physically demanding method, especially for lifting heavy fridges or in situations where there is limited space or no other assistance available.