The logic of social media clickbait

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Social media
In summary: This is why the algorithm is designed the way it is. They want you to click on the link, even if it's just to see if the teaser is there.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Its easy to look at any social media behavior and facetiously think its developed by idiots, but I wonder if there is a purpose to it that is not so idiotic.

I speak mostly of Facebook baiting - articles that promise all the funniest cartoons, or all the best wardrobe malfunctions or all the best heartwarming feel good stories. In particular - and this is the crux of my question: the teaser in the clickbait ad is almost never included under the click. Statistically, it happens too often to be just randomly picked stuff.

Whether human or program is not th e point -Why would they design an algorithm that makes sure the teaser is not in the body of the story?

For those unfamiliar with the phenom, ill try to post some examples. (No mean feat - Facebook doesn't like direct links to content. )

Computer science news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Its easy to look at any social media behavior and facetiously think its developed by idiots, but I wonder if there is a purpose to it that is not so idiotic.
Of course. These tactics are exquisitely calculated/designed.
DaveC426913 said:
Why would they design an algorithm that makes sure the teaser is not in the body of the story?
Because the fake teaser is better than any of the content in the "story". This both increases the odds of a click and ensures you won't stop reading when you get to that story.

Likes phinds and Bystander
russ_watters said:
Of course. These tactics are exquisitely calculated/designed.

Because the fake teaser is better than any of the content in the "story". This both increases the odds of a click and ensures you won't stop reading when you get to that story.
But why have the teaser be fake? Why not just have it in the content?

Here is an example. This is the clickbait:
1687236413990.png

Which takes you here:
https://www.sneakertoast.com/trendi...ynamicAd PNP2427 SNP 828a - Unknown WW FB SND
(I removed as much tracking crud as I could from the URL)

There are at least two dozen similar items, just not THAT one.

They want the money from advertisers. The aim is to collect clicks, comments and subscriptions.

Never judge a book by its cover. False advertising is like fishing, it baits, then switches, as it sets the hook.

They deliberately talk slowly, um and ah, recap, backtrack, then deliver confusion. If they did a perfect job, they would not get paid when you comment on their errors. They make statements that will provoke a shower of comments, and arguments between commentators, then stoke the fire, to keep the pot boiling. You are just another puppet, or do you chose how you will invest your time.

Search deliberately for a target and ignore all decoys. If you see something advertised, do not buy it from that link, it will be more expensive. Search instead for a similar or better product from a different supplier, then buy through the PF link.

How did this post affect you? Comment below if you have had similar experiences. Click "like" to support this channel.

Likes russ_watters, Hornbein, Bystander and 1 other person
DaveC426913 said:
But why have the teaser be fake? Why not just have it in the content?
....both of my answers address that.

I'll expand a bit: often the teaser is an embellished version of one of the real story. Both reasons still apply.

Baluncore said:
They want the money from advertisers. The aim is to collect clicks, comments and subscriptions.

Never judge a book by its cover. False advertising is like fishing, it baits, then switches, as it sets the hook.

They deliberately talk slowly, um and ah, recap, backtrack, then deliver confusion. If they did a perfect job, they would not get paid when you comment on their errors. They make statements that will provoke a shower of comments, and arguments between commentators, then stoke the fire, to keep the pot boiling. You are just another puppet, or do you chose how you will invest your time.

Search deliberately for a target and ignore all decoys. If you see something advertised, do not buy it from that link, it will be more expensive. Search instead for a similar or better product from a different supplier, then buy through the PF link.

How did this post affect you? Comment below if you have had similar experiences. Click "like" to support this channel.
Subscribe

DaveC426913 said:
Which takes you here:
I thought for sure they would have Cruella De Ville and a picture of that guy from The Cure.

russ_watters said:
....both of my answers address that.
I don't mean to be obtuse, but I don't see how. To-wit:
russ_watters said:
I'll expand a bit: often the teaser is an embellished version of one of the real story.
This does not ever seem to be the case. See my example.

Betty Rubble is the teaser, but that item is not in the content. Clearly, they have that item, so why not include it?

This isn't just a nuance; on certain days Facebook is full of click bait articles, and every one has a teaser that's simply not in the content.

Users have become quite cynical about the trend and consequently most of these articles receive minimal commenting, always saying "Teaser not in article! Same ol same ol"

Baluncore said:
Click "like" to support this channel.
russ_watters said:
Subscribe
Click "like", and "subscribe" to support this channel.

That is now a demonstration of how imperfection increases the number of posts.

DaveC426913 said:
I don't mean to be obtuse, but I don't see how. To-wit:

...Betty Rubble is the teaser, but that item is. It in the content. Clearly, they have that item, so why not include it?
Because they think if they include it you'll just skim for that item and then stop. Your eyes engage for longer if you spend more time searching for it. The longer you search, the better. The idea is to keep you searching for as long as possible; until you give up.

Baluncore said:
False advertising is like fishing, it baits, then switches, as it sets the hook.
You use bait n switch when you want to switch to something *cheaper* .

But why switch when there is no cheaper thing to be had?

In my Betty Rubble example, why not simply include the Betty Rubble example?

Because when you can't find Betty (she is quite alluring ?) you will spend more time searching for her. If you found her immediately you would realize the stupidity of the entire enterprise and leave. Fiendishly clever these Ad-men.

Likes Bystander and russ_watters
hutchphd said:
Because when you can't find Betty (she is quite alluring ?) you will spend more time searching for her. If you found her immediately you would realize the stupidity of the entire enterprise and leave. Fiendishly clever these Ad-men.
Yeah, maybe that's it.

I thought why don't they just ensure the pot o gold is always at the bottom of the article so you have to scroll to it, but readers would get wise to that pretty quick, and just zoom to the bottom. You spend longer on the page if you don't know where to look.

Yeah. OK. I see it now.

Likes Klystron and hutchphd

1. What is clickbait?

Clickbait refers to online content, such as articles, videos, or ads, that use sensational or misleading headlines to entice people to click on the link and visit the website. The content often does not deliver on the promise of the headline and is designed to generate a large number of clicks.

2. Why do people fall for clickbait?

People are drawn to clickbait because it often appeals to their curiosity or emotions. The headlines are designed to pique their interest and make them want to know more. Additionally, social media algorithms are designed to prioritize content that receives a lot of engagement, so clickbait is often promoted and shared widely.

3. How does clickbait affect social media?

Clickbait can have a negative impact on social media by promoting misinformation or spreading harmful content. It can also create a culture of sensationalism and distract from more important or meaningful content. However, clickbait can also be used positively to bring attention to important issues or to drive traffic to legitimate sources of information.

4. Is it ethical to use clickbait?

The ethics of using clickbait can be debated. While it can be seen as a manipulative tactic to drive traffic, it is not inherently wrong. It ultimately depends on the intentions and content behind the clickbait. If the content is misleading or harmful, it is unethical. However, if the content is truthful and provides value to the audience, then using clickbait may be justified.

5. How can we avoid falling for clickbait?

To avoid falling for clickbait, it is important to critically evaluate the headlines and sources of the content. Check the credibility of the source and read beyond the headline to get a better understanding of the content. It is also helpful to limit your time on social media and unfollow or block sources that consistently use clickbait tactics.

Back