The mathematics behind airplane lift

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for a book recommendation on the principles of flight, specifically drag/lift and the flight characteristics of an Airbus A-320 or a Cesna-172, for their math IA. They are advised to post their request in a specific subforum and are asked about their level of education and math background. A link to an article on the mathematics of airfoils and lift is also provided for further reading.
tania123
Homework Statement
Hello everyone, so for my math IA, I will be exploring the principals of flight. Does any of you know a book that explains the drag/lift and other principals of flight in a detailed mathematical way ? ( It would be also preferable for it to mention the flight characteristics of an Airbus A-320 or a Cesna-172)
Relevant Equations
none
Hello everyone, so for my math IA, I will be exploring the principals of flight. Does any of you know a book that explains the drag/lift and other principals of flight in a detailed mathematical way ? ( It would be also preferable for it to mention the flight characteristics of an Airbus A-320 or a Cesna-172)

Physics news on Phys.org
yucheng said:
I think you should post your thread in this subforum instead:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/science-and-math-textbooks.21/

No, cross-posting is not allowed. The thread is for schoolwork, so it's fine here.

@tania123 -- what year are you in university? What math courses have you had so far? The mathematics of airfoils and lift can be presented in a simplified way or in a very complex way.

Have a look at this Insights by @boneh3ad to see if it makes sense for you. Let us know your thoughts please. Thank you.

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/airplane-wing-work-primer-lift/

1613241613233.png

1. How does the shape of an airplane wing affect lift?

The shape of an airplane wing, also known as an airfoil, is designed to create a difference in air pressure above and below the wing. This pressure difference creates lift, with the curved shape of the wing creating a lower pressure on top and a higher pressure on the bottom.

2. What is the role of Bernoulli's principle in airplane lift?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid (such as air) increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is essential in creating lift as the shape of the wing causes air to move faster over the top, resulting in lower pressure and creating lift.

3. How does the angle of attack affect lift?

The angle of attack is the angle at which the wing meets the oncoming air. As the angle of attack increases, the lift also increases up to a certain point. However, if the angle of attack becomes too steep, the airflow can become turbulent, reducing lift and potentially causing a stall.

4. What is the relationship between airspeed and lift?

As airspeed increases, the lift also increases due to Bernoulli's principle. However, at higher speeds, the air can become compressed and the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the wing decreases, resulting in a decrease in lift.

5. How do factors such as weight and air density affect airplane lift?

The weight of an airplane affects lift as it determines how much lift is needed to keep the plane in the air. Air density also plays a role, as denser air provides more molecules for the wing to push against, resulting in more lift. This is why airplanes must fly at higher altitudes where the air is less dense.