The more friends a theory has the more interesting to me

• Thread starter mxg
  • Start date
In summary, the more friends a theory has, the more interesting it is to me. This is because a theory with a strong support system suggests that it has been thoroughly examined and accepted by a wider community. It also implies that the theory has real-world applications and potential for further development. Additionally, having a diverse group of friends with different perspectives can lead to new and innovative ideas, making the theory even more intriguing. Overall, the more friends a theory has, the more credible and captivating it becomes.
mxg
How did you find PF?
Kept coming up in the search engine when trying to get an opinion on books or subjects.
Someone in another website told me this is one of the few places where I would get or find serious answers to good questions in Math or Physics.
Since there is a division between "applied" and "pure" mathematics, I feel I'm a bit weird or alone on my journey. I don't like the concept of "Math for the sake of Math".

Yet I'd rather spend my time learning a theory from its foundations, to the point I'm confident of understanding why the applications work. Only then I may rote-memory applications, or at least know their principles to be able to learn them relatively fast. Otherwise, I feel guilty from using a theory, or maybe it's anxiety of not knowing if it's really right (despite all the cues there are to believe the theory is right.) Kudos to those Physics students that go read Rudin[*] on their free time.

I'm on my third year of studying undergraduate Mathematics. Looking forward to read you and maybe make my own threads. I recently got into the fever of buying books (specially if they are cheap like Dover prints), I realized I waste too much time on my computer on top of having to then read digital books; maybe I'll make a thread on books or ask for advice some time in the future.

[*]: I know many don't like Rudin, not even many good Math students like his books. Take it as an idiom for "reading pure math".

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
mxg said:
Someone in another website told me this is one of the few places where I would get or find serious answers to good questions in Math or Physics.
Excellent, and true, advice.

Welcome to the forum. :smile:

Likes mxg and berkeman
Your thread title versus your great OP present a puzzling juxtaposition for me. Welcome to PF. :smile:

Likes Oldman too