The Mystery of 8 Gluons: Uncovering the Secrets of Particle Physics

• Thread starter tade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gluons
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of gluons in quantum chromodynamics (QCD) and how they are represented by the color charge of quarks. There are eight gluons in total, with one being a color-neutral gluon that behaves like a photon and is not seen in nature. The remaining eight gluons do not have specific names but can be represented by different combinations of the three color-anticolor pairs. The conversation also mentions the use of different bases and how physics remains the same, but the names of the gluons change. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the abstract nature of the eight gluons and their role in QCD.
tade
I've only read some popular science books on particle physics so my understanding is pretty basic.

There are three colors and three anticolors. 3 x 3 will give us 9 gluons.

Subtracting the red-antired and the other two leaves us with 6 gluons.

Those science books only explain the first part but they don't explain how we wind up with 8.

Physics news on Phys.org
because there are 8 generators of the lie algebra of su(3)

Jim Kata said:
because there are 8 generators of the lie algebra of su(3)

So the popular explanation is off-tangent?

The popular explanation misses the color-neutral gluon, which should behave like a photon (and which must be absent b/c we don't see long-range color-electric forces in nature).

We start with 3 colors for the quarks. We represent these three colors as something like a 3-component vector. Then we act with 3*3 matrices A on these 3-vectors. Now one can represent all 3*3 matrices A as a sum A = ƩaAaTa where we use 9 matrices Ta as a vector space basis. The 9 real numbers Aa represent the gluons.

Now we have to make a choice regarding the matrices we are talking about. They could be u(3) = u (1) + su(3) matrices, or they could be su(3) matrices w/o the u(1) part. The u(1) corresponds to the T0=1, i.e. to the 3*3 identity matrix. But this would correspond to the photon-like gluon, which we do not see in nature. Therefore we use a=1..8 instand of a=0..8 in the sum Ʃa, i.e. we explicitly exclude the photon-like gluon. That's why we can say that QCD has the gauge symmetry SU(3) instead of U(3).

Please note that this difference does not show up on the level of the quarks, so any explanation using quarks only will fail to explain the reason for 8 instead of 9 gluons. And it's not math but nature telling us that there are only 8 gluons.

Last edited:
The popular explanation misses the color-neutral gluon, which should behave like a photon
Why should it behave like a photon? And what does "behave like a photon" mean?

Bill_K said:

Both have zero electric charge, zero rest mass and spin 1. A gluon has color charge, a photon has none. (haha that rhymes)So the "white" gluon under SU(3) behaves like a photon and would not play a part in QCD. Hence there are 8 left.But what are the 8 remaining gluons called?

Bill_K said:
It decouples from the other gluons a=1..8 b/c [T0, Ta]=0, i.e. b/c the structure constants f0bc=0. That means that all terms in the Yang-Mills eq. with structure constants are 'abelian' (like Maxwell's eq.) if at least one adjoint index is 0. So for the a=0 gluon there is no coupling to other gluons, which means that it behaves like a color-neutral gauge boson. But this is precisley the case for photons.

Looking at the Gauß law constraint (DE)aa = 0 which introduces the self-interaction in the color-Coulomb-potential it becomes evident that this constraint reduces to ∂E00 = 0 for a=0, so I expect a standard Coulomb interaction ~ ρ0(x)ρ0(y)/|x-y|, neither with any dynamical gluon-dependent integral operator, nor with non-vanishing Fadeev-Popov determinant.

In addition the color charge density ρ0 is closely related to the electric charge density of the quark fields. Thefore U(3) ~ U(1) * SU(3) is (up to some algebraic issues) nothing else like QED + QCD.

Last edited:
tade said:
But what are the 8 remaining gluons called?
They don't have a special name (unless you count things like "red antiblue" as name), and their identity depends on your choice of a basis anyway.

mfb said:
(unless you count things like "red antiblue" as name)

If I do that, how would I list out the 8?

tade said:
the one in the bottom right is written in a unique way
But keep in mind that any other basis T'a = U Ta U-1 will work as well.

tom.stoer said:
But keep in mind that any other basis T'a = U Ta U-1 will work as well.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to keep that in mind because I only have a layman understanding :redface:

Last edited:
You don't have to use the gluons used there. If ##\psi## and ##\phi## are two gluons, you can replace them by ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi+\phi)## and ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\psi-\phi)##, for example (keep the other 6 gluons), and get another possible set of 8 gluons.

tade said:
Unfortunately, I'm unable to keep that in mind because I only have a layman understanding :redface:
Think about the eight T-matrices as basis vectors in an eight-dim vector space. You can chose any rotated basis you like, physics remains the same, but you have to change the "names" of the basis vectors (the colors)

tom.stoer said:
Think about the eight T-matrices as basis vectors in an eight-dim vector space. You can chose any rotated basis you like, physics remains the same, but you have to change the "names" of the basis vectors (the colors)

Hmm, thinking about 8-D space? That's a little hard. :smile:

But I'm sort of getting the picture.

Think about four dimensions; then forget one dimension b/c of the photon-like gluon; now you can rotate the remaining three axes arbitrarily, respecting pairwise perpendicular dictions

Last edited:
tom.stoer said:
Think about four dimensions; then forget one dimension b/c of the photon-like gluon; now you can rotate the remaining three axes arbitrarily, respecting pairwise perpendicular dictions

So there are nine dimensions but we drop one and it becomes eight?

yes; but these eight dimensions are not spacetime dimensions but an abstract mathematical concept; but if QCD symmetry were SU(2) instead of SU(3) you could visualize 22-1 = 3 gluons using three mutually orthogonal axes in three-space

tom.stoer said:
yes; but these eight dimensions are not spacetime dimensions but an abstract mathematical concept; but if QCD symmetry were SU(2) instead of SU(3) you could visualize 22-1 = 3 gluons using three mutually orthogonal axes in three-space

I see. Now my question would be why QCD symmetry uses SU(3), but I think that's for another day.

tade said:
Now my question would be why QCD symmetry uses SU(3), but I think that's for another day.
The answer is simple: nobody knows! There are experimental hints for SU(3) instead of other symmetry groups, but math and theoretical physics would work equally well with other symmetries.

tom.stoer said:
The answer is simple: nobody knows! There are experimental hints for SU(3) instead of other symmetry groups, but math and theoretical physics would work equally well with other symmetries.

Color charge is often compared to electric charge, but electric charge is so simple, just positive and negative, whereas SU(3) is so complex.

I guess the person who finds out why could find himself richer by 10 million kronor. :smile:

In physics you never know "why", unfortunately. Why is electric charge - which is related to an U(1) symmetry which is nothing else but a rotation of a pointer in a two dim plane - so simple? Why do we have electric charge at all, not just SU(173) or SU(362524273644)? Why do we live in four spacetime dimensions? Why do the particles behave as they behave? Why is the electron mass 511 keV instead of 798 keV (or any other random number). Why do we see the quark flavours u,d,s,c,b,t, not 12, or 274656, or just u,d,s,c? Knobody knows.

tom.stoer said:
In physics you never know "why", unfortunately. Why is electric charge - which is related to an U(1) symmetry which is nothing else but a rotation of a pointer in a two dim plane - so simple? Why do we have electric charge at all, not just SU(173) or SU(362524273644)? Why do we live in four spacetime dimensions? Why do the particles behave as they behave? Why is the electron mass 511 keV instead of 798 keV (or any other random number). Why do we see the quark flavours u,d,s,c,b,t, not 12, or 274656, or just u,d,s,c? Knobody knows.

true. We can say "it's just so".

By the way, what did Wittgenstein mean by throwing away the ladder?

He means that after a discussion one may find out that the discussion was based on ill-defined terms, therefore the whole discussion may not really make sense. Unfortunately he writes this in a book, so this conclusion may apply to his book as well. Nevtheless I think he is right ;-)

Just google for 'Wittgenstein's ladder'.

I think we observe similar phenomena in science as well. If you look at the history of quantum mechanics it was quite often the case that after having fully understood an explanation or interpretation of a model it became clear that one has to throw it away. Bohr's model is definately wrong, but w/o this model we would never had a starting point for QM. So after having climbed up the QM ladder using Bohr's model we through away the ladder = Bohr's model.

I doubt that this is what Wittgenstein had in mind but it fits to the history of science in many cases.

tom.stoer said:
Unfortunately he writes this in a book, so this conclusion may apply to his book as well.

Hmm, you can't apply Wittgenstein's ladder to Wittgenstein's ladder. That would lead to a self-referential paradox. :smile: Am I right?

tom.stoer said:
I think we observe similar phenomena in science as well. If you look at the history of quantum mechanics it was quite often the case that after having fully understood an explanation or interpretation of a model it became clear that one has to throw it away.
I doubt that this is what Wittgenstein had in mind but it fits to the history of science in many cases.

I suddenly feel like going into a long discussion about the way in which scientists should conduct their scientific endeavors.

tade said:
Hmm, you can't apply Wittgenstein's ladder to Wittgenstein's ladder. That would lead to a self-referential paradox. :smile: Am I right?

I suddenly feel like going into a long discussion about the way in which scientists should conduct their scientific endeavors.

They've been several arguments for and against reductionism.

1. What are gluons and why are they important in particle physics?

Gluons are particles that mediate the strong nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. They are important in particle physics because they are responsible for binding quarks together to form protons, neutrons, and other hadrons, which make up the building blocks of matter.

2. How many types of gluons are there?

There are eight types of gluons, also known as color-anticolor pairs. These are called red-antired, green-antigreen, and blue-antiblue gluons, as well as red-antigreen, red-antiblue, green-antired, green-antiblue, and blue-antired gluons.

3. How were gluons discovered?

Gluons were first proposed in the 1960s by physicists Murray Gell-Mann and George Zweig as part of the quark model, which explains the structure of matter. They were experimentally confirmed in 1979 by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) with the discovery of the Z boson, which is a carrier particle of the strong nuclear force.

4. What is the current research on gluons?

Scientists are still studying gluons to better understand the strong nuclear force and its role in the structure of matter. Some current research includes studying the spin and polarization of gluons, as well as their interactions with other particles. Researchers are also using experiments at particle accelerators to study the properties of gluons at higher energies.

5. How does the mystery of 8 gluons contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The discovery and study of gluons is important for our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up the universe. By studying gluons, scientists can gain insights into the structure and behavior of matter at the smallest scales, which can help us understand the origins of the universe and how it has evolved over time.