The name of the process underlying distributons with a hazard rate

In summary: I9lK5qk6UYIn summary, the conversation discusses the hazard rate in exponential distributions and how it can be constant or a function of time, leading to different distributions. The question at hand is what the stochastic process is called that underlies these types of distributions. It is called a random point process, also known as failure rate analysis.
Ad VanderVen
TL;DR Summary
In the exponential distribution, the hazard rate is constant. The hazard rate does of course not always have to be constant, but can also be a function of time, which then leads to different distributions. But my question is: what is the stochastic process called that underlies this type of distributions with a constant or variable hazard rate?
In the exponential distribution, the hazard rate is constant. The hazard rate does of course not always have to be constant, but can also be a function of time, which then leads to different distributions. But my question is: what is the stochastic process called that underlies this type of distributions with a constant or variable hazard rate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ad VanderVen said:
The hazard rate does of course not always have to be constant, but can also be a function of time, which then leads to different distributions.
You have this the wrong way round: different distributions have different hazard rates. You can easily calculate the hazard function for any distribution.

pbuk: Actually you are wrong. 'different distributions have different hazard rates' should be 'different hazard rate functions have different distributions'. Moreover, you do not answer my question: What is the name of the stochastic process which leads to hazard rate distributions?

Reference: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ying-distributons-with-a-hazard-rate.1045495/'

• Skeptical
Likes pbuk
I've heard it called failure rate analysis if that helps.

Also this argument the two of you are having is over whether the pdf or the cdf comes first, which seems silly.

I now know what the process is called that underlies probability distributions with a hazard rate that is a function of time, such as the exponential distribution where the function of time is a constant. The process is called a random point process. Explanation can be found on Youtube:

1. What is the name of the process underlying distributions with a hazard rate?

The name of the process underlying distributions with a hazard rate is the "hazard process".

2. What is a hazard rate?

A hazard rate is a measure of the probability that an event will occur within a specific time interval, given that it has not yet occurred.

3. How is the hazard rate related to probability distributions?

The hazard rate is a key component of probability distributions, particularly those that model time-to-event data. It describes the rate at which events are occurring over time.

4. What is the significance of the hazard rate in scientific research?

The hazard rate is important in many fields of science, particularly in survival analysis and reliability engineering. It allows researchers to understand the likelihood of failure or death over time, and can inform decision-making and risk assessment.

5. Can the hazard rate change over time?

Yes, the hazard rate can change over time. It can increase, decrease, or remain constant depending on the specific process being studied. This is why it is important to continually monitor and analyze hazard rates in scientific research.