The net current through a circle of radius R, in the xy plane and centered at the origin is given by?

In summary, the error is in the step from: "∮ B * dl =μ0 * I" to "∮ AR * 2π*R =μ0 * I". The error is in the replacement of the symbol "dl" with "2πR".
hidemi
Homework Statement
The magnetic field at any point in the xy plane is given by B vector = A r vector times K, where r vector is the position vector of the point, A is a constant, and K is a unit vector in the +z direction. The net current through a circle of radius R, in the xy plane and centered at the origin is given by:

A) π AR^2/μ0
B) 2 π AR/μ0
C) 4 π AR^3/3μ0
D) 2 π AR^2/μ0
E) π AR^2/2μ0

Ans : D
Relevant Equations
∮ B * dl =μ0 * I
Here's what I did:
∮ B * dl =μ0 * I
∮ AR * 2π*R =μ0 * I
∮ 2π*AR^2 / μ0 = I
∮ 2π*AR^3 / 3μ0 = I

Where did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
"B vector = A r vector times K, where r vector is the position vector of the point, A is a constant, and K is a unit vector in the +z direction"
Not sure what that means. Is that ##\vec B=A\vec r\times\hat k##?

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
"B vector = A r vector times K, where r vector is the position vector of the point, A is a constant, and K is a unit vector in the +z direction"
Not sure what that means. Is that ##\vec B=A\vec r\times\hat k##?
yes!

hidemi said:
Here's what I did:
∮ B * dl =μ0 * I
∮ AR * 2π*R =μ0 * I
∮ 2π*AR^2 / μ0 = I
∮ 2π*AR^3 / 3μ0 = I

Where did I do wrong?
The mistake is in the step going from
“∮ B * dl =μ0 * I”
to
“∮ AR * 2π*R =μ0 * I “
Can you spot it?

Learning to use Latex for equations is not that hard. Click the 'Latex Guide' link (bottom/left of the window where you enter message). If you are posting regularly, it's worth the time/effort.

Likes Delta2
Steve4Physics said:
The mistake is in the step going from
“∮ B * dl =μ0 * I”
to
“∮ AR * 2π*R =μ0 * I “
Can you spot it?

Learning to use Latex for equations is not that hard. Click the 'Latex Guide' link (bottom/left of the window where you enter message). If you are posting regularly, it's worth the time/effort.
Could you give me a hint? please.

hidemi said:
Could you give me a hint? please.
Hint 1:
What are you integrating with respect to, in your expression “∮ AR * 2π*R ?

Hint 2:
Going from:
“∮ B * dl =μ0 * I”
to:
“∮ AR * 2π*R =μ0 * I “
your have removed the "dl" and replaced it with 2πR. What does that tell you?

If you still haven't got it, click on this spoiler:

By using 2πR you have completed the line-integral. So your second equation should simply be:
“AR * 2π*R =μ0 * I “
without the “∮" symbol. You have completed the integration! No further integration is needed!

As an additional note, you should really be writing expressions such as ##∮ \vec B \cdot \vec {dl}## because the question is stated in terms of vectors and we are integrating the scalar (dot) product of two vectors.

Steve4Physics said:
Hint 1:
What are you integrating with respect to, in your expression “∮ AR * 2π*R ?

Hint 2:
Going from:
“∮ B * dl =μ0 * I”
to:
“∮ AR * 2π*R =μ0 * I “
your have removed the "dl" and replaced it with 2πR. What does that tell you?

If you still haven't got it, click on this spoiler:

By using 2πR you have completed the line-integral. So your second equation should simply be:
“AR * 2π*R =μ0 * I “
without the “∮" symbol. You have completed the integration! No further integration is needed!

As an additional note, you should really be writing expressions such as ##∮ \vec B \cdot \vec {dl}## because the question is stated in terms of vectors and we are integrating the scalar (dot) product of two vectors.
Thank you for answering my stupid question :)

Likes Steve4Physics

1. What is the formula for calculating the net current through a circle?

The formula for calculating the net current through a circle of radius R, in the xy plane and centered at the origin is given by I = (μ₀/2π) * (1/R²), where μ₀ is the permeability of free space.

2. How is the direction of the net current determined in a circle?

The direction of the net current in a circle is determined by the direction of the magnetic field lines. The current flows in the direction perpendicular to the magnetic field lines.

3. What is the significance of the radius in the formula for net current through a circle?

The radius in the formula for net current through a circle represents the distance from the center of the circle to any point on the circle. It is an important factor in determining the strength of the current.

4. Can the net current through a circle be negative?

Yes, the net current through a circle can be negative if the direction of the current is opposite to the direction of the magnetic field lines. This is known as a "reverse current."

5. How is the net current through a circle affected by changes in the radius?

The net current through a circle is inversely proportional to the square of the radius. This means that as the radius increases, the net current decreases, and vice versa. Therefore, changes in the radius can significantly impact the strength of the current.