The normal and shear stresses

In summary: So the shear stress on the weld is:
Zouatine
Homework Statement
Calcul of stresses
Relevant Equations
1- σ'x=σx*cos(β)^2+σy*sin(β)^2+2*τxy*cos(β)*sin(β)

2- σ'y=σx*sin(β)^2+σy*cos(β)^2-2*τxy*cos(β)*sin(β)

3- τxy'=-σx*sin(β)*cos(β)+σy*sin(β)*cos(β)+τxy*(cos(β)^2-sin(β)^2)
Hi! i have this exercise and solution :

Exercise:
steel plate given in figure (a) is joined by an inclined butt weld ,the plate is subjected to tensile stresses in both x and y directions, σ(x)=54 N/mm^2 and σ(y)=38 N/mm^2 ,
1) Determine the normal and shear stresses of the butt weld.
1.PNG

this is transformation matrices :
2.PNG

2)second question :
in which direction the stress normal will be maximum ?

3.PNG

My problem: is τxy ( why in first we made it 0 in transformation matrice (and why it's 0) and in second question it's calculed .

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can make out, the first part is a calculation for a special case where there is no applied torque, whereas the second finds the weld direction that maximises stress in the more general case.

In this system, the stress tensor is given by$$\boldsymbol{\sigma}=\sigma_x\mathbf{i_x}\mathbf{i_x}+\sigma_y\mathbf{i_y}\mathbf{i_y}$$and the unit normal to the weld is given by: $$\mathbf{n}=\sin{\beta}\mathbf{i_x}+\cos{\beta}\mathbf{i_x}$$So the traction vector on the weld is given by: $$\boldsymbol{T}=\boldsymbol{\sigma}\centerdot \mathbf{n}=\sigma_x \sin{\beta}\mathbf{i_x}+\sigma_y \cos{\beta}\mathbf{i_y}$$The normal component of the traction vector on the weld is equal to the traction vector dotted with the unit normal: $$\sigma_n=\boldsymbol{T}\centerdot \mathbf{n}=\sigma_x \sin^2{\beta}+\sigma_y\cos^2{\beta}=\frac{(\sigma_x+\sigma_y)}{2}-\frac{(\sigma_x-\sigma_y)}{2}\cos{2\beta}$$The unit tangent vector to the weld is given by $$\mathbf{t}=\cos{\beta}\mathbf{i_x}-\sin{\beta}\mathbf{i_y}$$The shear component of the traction is obtained by dotting the traction vector with the unit tangent:$$\tau=(\sigma_x-\sigma_y)\sin{\beta}\cos{\beta}=\frac{(\sigma_x-\sigma_y)}{2}\sin{2\beta}$$

Last edited:

What are normal and shear stresses?

Normal and shear stresses are two types of forces that act upon an object. Normal stress is the force that is applied perpendicular to the surface of an object, while shear stress is the force that is applied parallel to the surface of an object.

What is the difference between normal and shear stresses?

The main difference between normal and shear stresses is the direction in which they act. Normal stress acts perpendicular to the surface, while shear stress acts parallel to the surface. Additionally, normal stress causes an object to deform in a perpendicular direction, while shear stress causes an object to deform in a parallel direction.

How are normal and shear stresses calculated?

Normal stress is calculated by dividing the force applied to an object by the cross-sectional area of the object. Shear stress is calculated by dividing the force applied parallel to the surface by the cross-sectional area of the object.

What are some real-world examples of normal and shear stresses?

Normal stress can be seen in everyday life when we apply force to objects, such as sitting on a chair or stepping on a scale. Shear stress can be observed in situations where objects slide or shear against each other, such as when cutting through a piece of paper with scissors or when a car turns a corner.

Why are normal and shear stresses important in engineering and materials science?

Normal and shear stresses are crucial in understanding the behavior of materials under different types of forces. Engineers and materials scientists use this knowledge to design structures and materials that can withstand these stresses and prevent failure. It also helps in predicting the lifespan and durability of various materials in different applications.