The Obstetrical Conundrum: Fontanelles & Human Birth Canals

In summary, the conversation discusses the obstetrical conundrum and the impact of selective pressures on pelvic morphology and fontanelle size in human babies. The individual is seeking help in finding literature on the topic and mentions the relevance of extended postnatal development and parental care. A good source for scientific literature in this field is suggested.
Nick tringali
I want to do a project for my class on the obstetrical conundrum. Which is basically the antagonism of selective pressures on pelvic morphology. I need help to find literature. I want to know if over the course of history, if Human baby's fontanelles increased in size in order to compensate for the narrow birth canal. Does anyone know any good articles that talk about the change in size or efficacy of the fontanelles over time? Let me know.

Likes berkeman
Biology news on Phys.org
I don't have any particular expertise on this topic, but a good source to search the scientific literature in the biological sciences is pubmed.gov

For example, the searching for human evolution fontanelles gives three papers that might be a good starting point (all three papers appear to be freely available in case you don't have access to a university library system):
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=human+evolution+fontanelles+&sort=date

Likes jim mcnamara, BillTre, Nick tringali and 1 other person
Ygggdrasil said:
I don't have any particular expertise on this topic, but a good source to search the scientific literature in the biological sciences is pubmed.gov

For example, the searching for human evolution fontanelles gives three papers that might be a good starting point (all three papers appear to be freely available in case you don't have access to a university library system):
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=human+evolution+fontanelles+&sort=date
Thank you!

Its not only involves an "antagonism of selective pressures on pelvic morphology" involving pelvic morphology and baby head flexibility, but also the extended post natal development (extended childhood) and investment in parental care which result of these kind of limitations.

These are big expensive evolutionarally significant investments by the parents.

Likes Nick tringali

1. What are fontanelles and why are they important in human birth?

Fontanelles are the soft spots on a baby's skull where the bones have not yet fully fused together. They are important in human birth because they allow the baby's head to compress and change shape during delivery, making it easier to pass through the birth canal.

2. How do fontanelles affect the size of the human birth canal?

The presence of fontanelles in a baby's skull allows for the bones to overlap and compress during delivery, effectively reducing the size of the baby's head and making it easier to pass through the birth canal.

3. Are there any risks associated with fontanelles during birth?

In most cases, fontanelles pose no risk during birth. However, if the fontanelles are unusually large or small, it may indicate an underlying health issue that could complicate the delivery. Additionally, if the fontanelles close too early, it can lead to developmental issues in the baby.

4. Do all mammals have fontanelles?

No, not all mammals have fontanelles. Primates, including humans, have fontanelles due to the relatively large size of our brains at birth. Other mammals with relatively large brains, such as dolphins and elephants, also have fontanelles.

5. Can the size and shape of fontanelles be used to determine the difficulty of labor for a pregnant woman?

While the size and shape of fontanelles can give some indication of the difficulty of labor, there are many other factors that play a role in the birthing process. These include the size and shape of the pelvis, the position of the baby, and the strength of the mother's contractions. Therefore, fontanelles should not be the sole factor in determining the difficulty of labor for a pregnant woman.