The only prime p for which 3p+1 is a perfect square is p=5?

In summary, the assertion that the only prime p for which 3p+1 is a perfect square is p=5 can be proven by supposing p is a prime and 3p+1=n^2 for some n##\in\mathbb{Z}##, and using the definition of a prime and the fundamental theorem of arithmetics to show that the only possible solution is p=5.
Math100
Homework Statement
Prove the assertion below:
The only prime p for which 3p+1 is a perfect square is p=5.
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof: Suppose that p is a prime and 3p+1=n^2 for some n##\in\mathbb{Z}##.
Then we have 3p+1=n^2
3p=n^2-1
3p=(n+1)(n-1).
Since n+1>3 for ##\forall n\in\mathbb{N}##,
it follows that n-1=3, and so n=3+1=4.
Thus 3p+1=n^2
=4^2
=16,
which implies that 3p=16-1=15,
this means p=15/3=5.
Therefore, the only prime p for which 3p+1 is a perfect square is p=5.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Prove the assertion below:
The only prime p for which 3p+1 is a perfect square is p=5.
Relevant Equations:: None.

Proof: Suppose that p is a prime and 3p+1=n^2 for some n##\in\mathbb{Z}##.
Then we have 3p+1=n^2
3p=n^2-1
3p=(n+1)(n-1).
Since n+1>3 for ##\forall n\in\mathbb{N}##,
How is that? What about ##n=0,1,2##?
Math100 said:
it follows that n-1=3, and so n=3+1=4.
Thus 3p+1=n^2
=4^2
=16,
which implies that 3p=16-1=15,
this means p=15/3=5.
You should use the definition of a prime here. We have ##3\,|\,3p\,|\,(n+1)(n-1) \Longrightarrow 3\,|\,(n-1) \text{ or }3\,|\,(n+1)## and go on from here.

Or you use the fundamental theorem of arithmetics which says that every number can be written uniquely as a product of primes. With that we get ##3=n-1## or ##3=n+1.## In both cases, you should discuss both cases, i.e. what about ##3=n+1?## If that is excluded, then you can go on with ##3=n-1.##

But you have used this theorem. With only using the definition of a prime, you can only conclude ##3\,|\,(n\pm 1).##

Last edited:
Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
How is that? What about ##n=0,1,2##?

You should use the definition of a prime here. We have ##3\,|\,3p\,|\,(n+1)(n-1) \Longrightarrow 3\,|\,(n-1) \text{ or }3\,|\,(n+1)## and go on from here.

Or you use the fundamental theorem of arithmetics which says that every number can be written uniquely as a product of primes. With that we get ##3=n-1## or ##3=n+1.## In both cases, you should discuss both cases, i.e. what about ##3=n+1?## If that is excluded, then you can go on with ##3=n-1.##

But you have used this theorem. With only using the definition of a prime, you can only conclude ##3\,|\,n\pm 1).##
Yes, I did a mistake, I didn't think about n=0, 1, 2. But is 0 a natural number? Because I thought that natural numbers start at 1 and above.

Math100 said:
But is 0 a natural number?
Some say this, others say that. Personally, I do not consider it a natural number because I think it was a great achievement in human history when for the first time someone counted something that wasn't there. But I think most people nowadays start with ##0##. Anyway, since you haven't said what you mean by ##\mathbb{N}## both cases are possible.

Likes Math100
Here's my revised proof for this assertion:

Suppose that p is a prime and 3p+1=n^2 for some n##\in\mathbb{Z}##.
Then we have 3p+1=n^2
3p=n^2-1
3p=(n+1)(n-1).
Applying the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic produces:
n+1=3 or n-1=3.
Now we consider two cases.
Case #1: Suppose n+1=3.
Then we have n=3-1=2.
Thus 3p+1=n^2
=2^2
=4,
and so 3p=4-1=3,
which implies that p=3/3=1.
Case #2: Suppose n-1=3.
Then we have n=3+1=4.
Thus 3p+1=n^2
=4^2
=16,
and so 3p=16-1=15,
which implies that p=15/3=5.
Note that p=1 is not a prime number.

Likes nuuskur, Delta2, FactChecker and 1 other person
Is it correct now? The above proof?

This looks good to me.

Likes Math100
IMO, your proofs are certainly improving rapidly. The logic flow is good and you are providing the right amount of detail.

Likes Math100, Delta2 and fresh_42
FactChecker said:
IMO, your proofs are certainly improving rapidly. The logic flow is good and you are providing the right amount of detail.
Thank you so much!

Math100 said:
Thank you so much!
There are also some neat ideas appearing in your proofs. Perhaps the two things go together. Once you get the basics of logic sorted out you also start to get insights into specific problems.

Likes Math100
PeroK said:
There are also some neat ideas appearing in your proofs. Perhaps the two things go together. Once you get the basics of logic sorted out you also start to get insights into specific problems.
This is a good idea. Maybe this little problem is a nice challenge for you:

A Størmer number ##n## is a number for which there is a prime ##p## that is greater than ##2n## and a divisor of ##n^2+1##. E.g. ##n=16## and ##p=257.## We have ##257 > 2\cdot 16## and ##257\,|\,(16^2)+1=257##. Another one is ##n=33.## Can you figure out ##p## in this case?

Challenge: Prove that there cannot be a Størmer number of the form ##n=2k^2>2,## e.g. ##n=2\cdot 4^2=32## cannot be a Størmer number.

Another question: If we examine primes, what would be a natural distinction between two kinds of primes? And, no, odd and even doesn't get us very far.

Last edited:
I'm confused, isn't ##k=1## going to give a Størmer number? I think it's the only one though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Office_Shredder said:
I'm confused, isn't ##k=1## going to give a Stromer number? I think it's the only one though.
##2\,|\,1^2+1## but ##2 \not\gt 2\cdot 1.##

##16## and ##33## are Størmer numbers.
Størmer numbers ##n## are exactly those numbers for which there isn't a linear combination
$$
\operatorname{arccot}n =\sum_{k=1}^{n-1}a_k\cdot \operatorname{arccot}k\, , \,a_k\in \mathbb{Z}
$$
Størmer numbers are therefore also called arc-cotangent irreducible numbers.

fresh_42 said:
##2\,|\,1^2+1## but ##2 \not\gt 2\cdot 1.##
No, I meant ##2=2(1)^2## is a Størmer number since ##2^2+1=5, contrary to your post. I think it's the only one though.

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
No, I meant ##2=2(1)^2## is a Stromer number since ##2^2+1=5, contrary to your post.
Where?
##2## is a Størmer number, so what? ##p\,|\,n## is not required.
Office_Shredder said:
I think it's the only one though.
What is wrong about ##16##?

I corrected the post. I had forgotten to demand ##n>2.##

fresh_42 said:
This is a good idea. Maybe this little problem is a nice challenge for you:

A Størmer number ##n## is a number for which there is a prime ##p## that is greater than ##2n## and a divisor of ##n^2+1##. E.g. ##n=16## and ##p=257.## We have ##257 > 2\cdot 16## and ##257\,|\,(16^2)+1=257##. Another one is ##n=33.## Can you figure out ##p## in this case?

Challenge: Prove that there cannot be a Størmer number of the form ##n=2k^2>2,## e.g. ##n=2\cdot 4^2=32## cannot be a Størmer number.

Another question: If we examine primes, what would be a natural distinction between two kinds of primes? And, no, odd and even doesn't get us very far.
p in this case would be 109.

Likes fresh_42 and SammyS

1. What does it mean for a number to be a "perfect square"?

A perfect square is a number that is the product of a whole number multiplied by itself. For example, 9 is a perfect square because it is the product of 3 multiplied by itself (3x3=9).

2. How do you determine if a number is a perfect square?

To determine if a number is a perfect square, you can take the square root of the number. If the square root is a whole number, then the original number is a perfect square. For example, the square root of 9 is 3, so 9 is a perfect square.

3. Why is the only prime p for which 3p+1 is a perfect square p=5?

This is because the equation 3p+1 must be a perfect square itself. The only prime number that satisfies this condition is 5, as 3(5)+1=16, which is a perfect square (4x4=16).

4. Can there be any other values for p that make 3p+1 a perfect square?

No, there cannot be any other values for p that make 3p+1 a perfect square. This is because 3p+1 must be a perfect square itself, and the only prime number that satisfies this condition is 5.

5. Why is this property of p=5 significant?

This property of p=5 is significant because it is a rare occurrence in mathematics. It is a special case where a prime number, when multiplied by 3 and added by 1, results in a perfect square. This property has been studied and proven by mathematicians, and it has practical applications in number theory and cryptography.