The Parametric Functions of a Bezier Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses the parametric form of a Bezier curve and the search for information on how to obtain this form. The conversation also includes equations for polynomial functions and the Bernstein basis functions of a cubic curve. The individual is seeking clarification and help on understanding the parametric function and its relation to the Bernstein basis functions. They have been unable to find much information on this topic and are asking for assistance or resources to further their understanding.
Zorrent12

Homework Statement

Hello. I'm currently doing some work with bezier curves and have come across a certain format, which, from what I can tell, is called the parametric form of a bezier curve. I've run several searches and can't seem to find anything that explains how to obtain this form. The usual notation I see it written in is as follows:

x(t)= x(t)/w(t), y(t)=y(t)/w(y)

So basically, my question is, given I have all the control points of a cubic bezier curve, how do I find the parametric function (assuming that's what the notation above is called)? I've been trying to solve this myself for a while, and feel I won't get much further without help. If someone could explain this or post a link to something that does, I'd be more than grateful.

Homework Equations

The polynomial functions I currently have:

x(t) = axt^3 + bxt^2 + cxt + x0

y(t) = ayt^3 + byt^2 + cyt + y0

The Bernstein basis functions of a cubic curve:

t^3

3t^2(1 - t)

3t(1-t)^2

(1-t)^3

The Attempt at a Solution

As I've said, I've run several searches. From what I can gather, this is called the parametric form of a bezier curve. The x(t) and y(t) functions may be the same as the polynomial functions I have, but I doubt that. I think the third function, w(t), is a "weight function" of the bezier curve. If this is correct, I guess it works as the "magnetic attraction" of bezier control points, so maybe it relates to the Bernstein basis functions somehow? But as I've said, I can barely find anything explaining these functions and most of this is guess work.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, if anyone could provide some help, or point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

1. What is a Bezier Curve?

A Bezier Curve is a mathematical representation of a smooth curve that is commonly used in computer graphics and design. It is defined by a series of control points that determine the shape of the curve.

2. What are the parametric functions of a Bezier Curve?

The parametric functions of a Bezier Curve are equations that describe the position of a point on the curve in terms of a parameter t. These functions are used to calculate the coordinates of the curve for any given value of t.

3. How do you calculate the control points for a Bezier Curve?

The control points of a Bezier Curve can be calculated using various methods, such as the de Casteljau's algorithm or the Bernstein polynomial. These methods involve finding the coordinates of the control points based on the desired shape and smoothness of the curve.

4. What is the significance of the degree of a Bezier Curve?

The degree of a Bezier Curve refers to the number of control points used to define the curve. A higher degree means more control points, which allows for more complex and precise curves. However, higher degrees also require more computational power to calculate.

5. How are Bezier Curves used in graphics and design?

Bezier Curves are widely used in graphics and design applications, such as Adobe Illustrator and AutoCAD. They are used to create smooth and precise curves for shapes, fonts, and other graphical elements. Bezier Curves are also used in animation and video games to create realistic and fluid movements.