The past generation is responsible for today's obesity problem

In summary: Stop listening to other people, and start listening to yourself. You'll be able to figure out what you want and what is best for you.In summary, the author is talking to someone and explaining that they are not listening to themselves and are instead listening to other people.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
Right now, my parents are angry at me because I won't eat with them. I'm just not hungry. I had a big breakfast and I haven't done any physical activity all day, so I have no need to eat more at this time. That doesn't matter though, they're still angry and being dramatic because I won't eat when I'm not hungry. What the hell? Why is the entire previous generation like this? If I don't eat my parents food, they get offended. If I don't eat my grandparents food, they get offended. If I don't eat food at a friend's house, his parents are offended.
This doesn't seem to be tied to any specific culture. My still-alive grandparents are English, one of friends is Italian, a few are Vietnamese, one is German, one is Irish, one is Jewish (she won't tell me what country she's from), one is French, and I have a few others with anomalous heritages. All of these people have parents that are like this.

Mystery solved. Stop forcing people to eat when they're not hungry.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are starving kids in China who would kill for a plate of food, quite being so ungrateful.

everything is responsible for everything.

Because people work to make the food and you aren't eating it. What if you were... say in class and you did your homework and your teacher comes into class the day its due and goes "well, I've decided not to collect the homework". I'd just tell them ahead of time if you are not hungry. I've beared the brunt of this before as well so i either just shut up and eat a little or tell them ahead of time that I am not hungry.

no, but you may be responsible for incomprehensible posts

god dammit quit jumping in before me and putting posts when I'm answering a previous post. I'll tell you when I'm done then you can post. okay I'm done

tribdog said:
no, but you may be responsible for incomprehensible posts

i agree

this forum seems to have disproportionally large numbers of non-sensicle posts and circular logic.

tribdog said:
god dammit quit jumping in before me and putting posts when I'm answering a previous post. I'll tell you when I'm done then you can post. okay I'm done

roar! How dare you speak to the supreme penguin leader like that!

*draws his light saber* BRING IT ON!

nonsense it does too
you did it again you son of b,.

one takes responsibility or one gives blame/makes excuses. either way, their actions affect everything and everyone.

Time must be perceived as the totality of Time, and never as a particular fragment. wisdom arises thusly.

ex.: we used oil cause it was cheap and easy and beneficial to many, in a particular fragment of time. the use of oil thusly has created a sense of dependancy, and resulted, in Time, to the costly effort of cleaning and fixing the problems created by, what seemed to be very beneficial and cheap. see how short-sightedness results in contradictory results of to what was initially intended?

action taken out of Time and projected intentionally in time, virtually always result in hypocracy and contradiction of the initial intention.

I think I understand. for example, I thought it would be benificial for me to read your entire post. Upon reading it became slightly tired and sick to my stomach. Now I am going to go poop and go to sleep. Now I won't be reading more posts for the rest of the night. Wow.

responsibility is taken when the whole is perceived and taken into account, when choosing. selfishness and passing blame only leads to more contradiction and passing of blame. someone must take responsibility for all that has happened and all that is to happen and act, knowing that karma runs endlessly deep.

it was "me" who decided to profit from oil, and it is "me" who must take responsibility for and clean up "my" mess, caused by "my" ignorance.

it's always just a "me", though "you" perceive "me" as a "you", when i say, "I am Me". we all say I am "Me". so we all share the experience of being "me". "me" could be anyone of "us". in fact, it is all of us.

What if I say "I" am not listening to "you" because "you" ramble and "I" think "you" are a nut?

Pengwuino said:
roar! How dare you speak to the supreme penguin leader like that!
*draws his light saber* BRING IT ON!
http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/celeb/starwars.gif

Mk said:
http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/celeb/starwars.gif

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

pick a thread for your smilies and stick to it. because the consequences of "you" or is it "we", no "you" have too much time on your hands

tribdog said:
What if I say "I" am not listening to "you" because "you" ramble and "I" think "you" are a nut?

first i'd ask: Who are you talking to?
then i'd say that you haven't recognized your own self.

you think you are so separate and individual, when in fact you are completely dependant, though you may not see it, or fully understand it.

or care about it

so then it is, that you are ignorant. further, you wish to remain ignorant, as you would rather ignore the opportunity to find out.

i ask again: who are you talking to?

according to you I'm talking to everyone

clever, tribdog.

one is Ignorant for so long one wishes to be so.

the earnest seeker does not cower from the question.

The Question.

The Answer.

we are really talking about "responsibility", in this post. aren't we?
or the lack thereof.

if one wishes to comment on responsibility, one should consider this the place.

"what is Responsibility?"
"who is Responsible?"

Listen, I'm sure you have some deep and philosophical idea you are trying to get out and I get it. I understand what you are saying. I just don't care. Yes everything is related, everything effects everything else. Did you know that a double pendulum's motion cannot be predicted and it is effected (or is it affected) by something so small as the gravity of a raindrop a quarter mile away? I simply don't care about your opinion and reading a post filled with "I" and "me" is "we" and blah blah blah. I thought this thread was about the kid with the chubby parents

tribdog said:
I simply don't care about your opinion and reading a post filled with "I" and "me" is "we" and blah blah blah. I thought this thread was about the kid with the chubby parents

Ignorance is the refusal to see what It's Really about. Rather, Ignorance is the condition of ignoring the question about what It really is.

it is futile to argue, in this thread or any other, unless we are aware of what we are really talking about. That is, to Know what is really being discussed.

that is irresponsible. ! then, at least we are aware of what is not responsibility.

tribdog said:
There are starving kids in China who would kill for a plate of food, quite being so ungrateful.
There are probably few (read "NO") Chinese children who would contemplate murdering you so they could get the food off your plate. There are probably millions of Chinese children, however, that would sleep easier if they knew that their parents could dish up a decent meal once a day.

I grew up in a family that gathered/grew most of our food and we spent additional energy/resources on catching fish, birds, mammals for meat for immediate consumption and for the freezer. We had traditional knowledge and skills and some more modern tools (firearms, vehicles) and we did OK. I still try to live this way, as much as possible. If you buy your food at the supermarket, please do not pretend that you understand how it is to go out in the morning for food and come back in the evening (succesful or unsuccesful).

if you want to argue about what I am ignorant about it is going to take a much bigger thread and a lot of free time. but we aren't really talking about ignorance, we are talkking about a concentrated effort to deny myself the grief of learning your philosophy. I don't come to General discussion to talk about deep and thought provoking ideas. I come to talk about pink condoms and candy bars and accidentlly fusing a frozen soda to a shag carpet. If I wanted a deep conversation I would go to a different forum and I would find someone other than you to have it with because people who try to push their inane ideas on someone who doesn't want to hear it, irritate me especially when their deep idea turns out to be an asinine waste of time.

turbo-1 said:
There are probably few (read "NO") Chinese children who would contemplate murdering you so they could get the food off your plate. There are probably millions of Chinese children, however, that would sleep easier if they knew that their parents could dish up a decent meal once a day.
I grew up in a family that gathered/grew most of our food and we spent additional energy/resources on catching fish, birds, mammals for meat for immediate consumption and for the freezer. We had traditional knowledge and skills and some more modern tools (firearms, vehicles) and we did OK. I still try to live this way, as much as possible. If you buy your food at the supermarket, please do not pretend that you understand how it is to go out in the morning for food and come back in the evening (succesful or unsuccesful).
lol
I said there were starving kids who would kill because that is what parents (at least in my neck of the woods) used to tell their kids to make them eat. I know chinese kids aren't murdering people for food. I'm not stupid. Chinese kids only murder for clothes.

perhaps the first example of someone taking responsibility!

of course, out of necessity. which may, in fact, be the only way to take responsibility.

unfortunately, in a society of "plenty", the necessity of taking responsibility is, often, not so directly understood.
"let someone else do it." "it's someone else's problem." "we'll worry about it later."

cheers turbo!

except that I won't worry about it later. I've got plenty to eat
cheers simeanrot

I'm not stupid. Chinese kids only murder for clothes.

and americans only enslave for nikes.

no we enslave for lots of stuff.

tribdog said:
cheers simeanrot

name-calling.

hey! when is recess?

I apologize I thought you were misspelling my name when you cheered turbo. I didn't realize you were talking to someone else