The peak frequency of solar radiation?

In summary, the question at hand is what is the color of the peak frequency of solar radiation. After some discussion and searching, it was found that the answer may not be green and further research is needed.
zachcumer
Hey guys. The question I have to answer is What is the color of the peak frequency of solar radiation? Now is there a certain way to figure this out or...very hard to find on the internet...

best

zach

Physics news on Phys.org
is it green?

Not hard at all to find on the Internet. Type solar spectrum into the Google search box, and click the first link (happens to be a wikipedial.org link). Done.

my book says its green... its black?!? what?

zachcumer said:
my book says its green... its black?!? what?

Black? LOL. Did you follow any of the links? What is the peak of the spectrum shown at the top of the wikipedia.org page?

I am on solar radiation on wiki..there is no solar spectrum...give me the link please.

zachcumer said:
I am on solar radiation on wiki..there is no solar spectrum...give me the link please.

Google solar spectrum and click on the wikipedia.org link, or any of the other links. You are looking for the peak in the solar spectrum -- that is a lot more directed than looking through pages about general solar radiation.

That page certainly has a solar spectrum on it.

what is the color??!

zachcumer said:
what is the color??!

We don't give out answers here on the PF, we just help you to figure it out for yourself. Are you saying that you have gotten the wavelength (or wavenumber or whatever) of the peak off of the chart(s), and now want to know what color that wavelength corresponds to?

sure. i thinks its green is it? ?

zachcumer said:
sure. i thinks its green is it? ?

To be honest, I have no idea. So to try to find out for myself, I added a term to the google search to find out. I googled solar spectrum peak, and got several good hits. BTW, I also got a hit for this PF thread already in that google search -- that was fast!

Here is a link that should get you what you want, but read the whole link carefully. The answer may not be green -- you may have to re-read your homework question carefully after reading this link!

http://thulescientific.com/LYNCH & Soffer OPN 1999.pdf

Let us know the final answer you figure out.

1. What is the peak frequency of solar radiation?

The peak frequency of solar radiation is the frequency at which the Sun's energy is emitted most intensely. It is located in the visible light spectrum and has a wavelength of about 500 nanometers.

2. How is the peak frequency of solar radiation measured?

The peak frequency of solar radiation is measured using a spectrometer, which separates light into different wavelengths. The highest intensity of light corresponds to the peak frequency.

3. Does the peak frequency of solar radiation change over time?

No, the peak frequency of solar radiation remains constant over time. It is a characteristic of the Sun's energy emission and is not affected by external factors.

4. What is the significance of the peak frequency of solar radiation?

The peak frequency of solar radiation is significant because it determines the color of sunlight that reaches Earth. It also affects the amount of light and heat energy that is absorbed by different materials.

5. How does the peak frequency of solar radiation impact life on Earth?

The peak frequency of solar radiation plays a crucial role in sustaining life on Earth. It provides the necessary light and heat energy for photosynthesis and helps regulate the Earth's climate and weather patterns.