What is the resonant frequency and peak current drawn

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the resonance frequency and peak current of an RLC circuit with a resistance of 40ohms, inductance of 400mH, and capacitance of 300microfarad, energized from a 50Hz, 200V AC supply. The resonance frequency was calculated using the formula 1/2pi * sqrt (L*C) and was found to be 0.3263*10^-3. The formula for peak current, I0 = vpeak/z, was mentioned, but its use for this specific problem was unclear. Resources for AC circuit analysis and the resonance frequency formula were provided for further understanding.
Perodamh

Homework Statement

A series RLC current having a resistance of 40ohms and inductance of 400mH and a capacitance of 300microfarad is energized from 50Hz, 200V A.C supply. Find
i) Resonance Frequency of the circuit
ii) Peak current drawn by the circuit at 50Hz
iii) Peak current drawn by the circuit at resonance frequency.

Homework Equations

Resonance frequency: 1/2pi * sqrt (L* C), where L is the inductance and C capictance
the formula for peak current, I'm not so sure I0 = vpeak/ z (impedance)

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first solution
Resonance frequency = 1/2pi * sqrt (L* C)
L = 400mH
C= 300microfarad
=1/6.28 * Sqrt ((400/1000) * (300*10^-8) )
=0.3263 * 10^-3

for the second and third solution I'm not sure how to use the formula and if it applies to this particular question. I don't mind being referred to any pdf file that covers A.c circuit analysis well and could help me solve this, or maybe the right formula and I could try solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Microfarads are 10^-6, not 10^-8.
Perodamh said:
the formula for peak current, I'm not so sure I0 = vpeak/ z (impedance)
Yes, but that will give you a complex value (a phasor, actually). You'll want its magnitude, which will give you the instantaneous peak current.

Hello Perodamh,

Perodamh said:
Resonance frequency: 1/2pi * sqrt (L* C)
Check the dimension !
Your equation lacks some brackets !

There is some material here , here , and even a calculator here to check your result.
I like the text https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/accircuits/series-circuit.html
and the resonance frequency formula https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/accircuits/series-resonance.html

Last edited:
Thanks, i'd try and let you know what I came up with
BvU said:
Hello Perodamh,

Check the dimension !
Your equation lacks some brackets !

There is some material here , here , and even a calculator here to check your result.
I like the text https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/accircuits/series-circuit.html
and the resonance frequency formula https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/accircuits/series-resonance.html
gneill said:
Microfarads are 10^-6, not 10^-8.

Yes, but that will give you a complex value (a phasor, actually). You'll want its magnitude, which will give you the instantaneous peak current.

What is the resonant frequency?

The resonant frequency is the frequency at which an object or system will naturally vibrate with the greatest amplitude. In other words, it is the frequency at which the object or system will oscillate most easily.

What is peak current drawn?

Peak current drawn refers to the maximum amount of electric current that is drawn by an electrical system or device at any given time. This is often measured in amperes (A) and can be used to determine the power consumption and electrical load of a system.

How is resonant frequency determined?

Resonant frequency can be determined through calculations or experiments. In a simple system, it can be calculated using the formula f = 1/2π√(k/m), where f is the resonant frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the object. In more complex systems, it may require experimentation or computer simulations to determine the resonant frequency.

What factors affect resonant frequency?

The resonant frequency of a system can be affected by various factors, such as the mass and stiffness of the object, the tension or compression of the material, and any external forces or vibrations acting on the system. It can also be affected by the shape and size of the object, as well as the medium in which it is vibrating.

How does peak current drawn relate to resonant frequency?

The peak current drawn by a system is often highest at the resonant frequency. This is because at the resonant frequency, the system is vibrating with the greatest amplitude, which requires the most energy and results in the highest current draw. However, the peak current drawn can also be affected by the impedance and resistance of the system, as well as the power source supplying the current.