The physics of wave properties on a string

In summary: To get the answer to question e do I divide 125000 / 0.0004 to get the time required for a particle on a string to move through a total distance of 1.0 km which would equal 312500000? If this is right then ignore this question about where does the amplitude fit in?No, to get the time for 125000 cycles, multiply the period by 125000.The amplitude doesn't factor into the time calculation. No, to get the time for 125000 cycles, multiply the period by 125000.The amplitude doesn't factor into the time calculation. Oh, okay. So the answer to question e is 0.05 seconds.Oh, okay. So
amandine

Homework Statement

The speed of a transverse wave on a string is 450 m/s, while the wavelength is 0.18 m. The amplitude of the wave is 2.0 mm.

a. What is the total up and down distance moved by the wave particle for each cycle of the wave?
b. What is the frequency of the wave?
c. What is the period of motion of the wave?
d. How many cycles of the wave would have to pass by a given point so that a particle on the string moves a total distance of 1.0 km?
e. How much time is required for a particle on a string to move through a total distance of 1.0 km?

Homework Equations

v = f lambra
t = 1/f
time = d/v

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Amplitude is 2.0 mm therefore the crest and trough is 4.0 mm. Up and down distance is 8.0 mm because two crest and troughs (4.0 mm) add up to 8.0 mm.

b. v = f lambra
450 m/s = f 0.18 m
450 m/s / 0.18 m = f
f = 2500 Hz

c. t = 1/f
t = 1 / 2500 Hz
t = 0.0004 s

d. 1 km = 1,000 m but this is it because I don't know what to do.

e. time = d/v
time = 1000 m/450 m/s
time = 2.22 s

I think my answers are right but correct me if I'm wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't do e until you get d. Others look good!
For d, remember that the particles of the string only move transversely (side to side) so you have 4 mm out to the crest, 4 mm back to center, ... and so on. Figure out the total distance moved in one cycle (which is one period or one wavelength). Then it will be easy to get the number of such cycles that gives 1 km of distance moved side to side.

Delphi51 said:
You can't do e until you get d. Others look good!
For d, remember that the particles of the string only move transversely (side to side) so you have 4 mm out to the crest, 4 mm back to center, ... and so on. Figure out the total distance moved in one cycle (which is one period or one wavelength). Then it will be easy to get the number of such cycles that gives 1 km of distance moved side to side.

The 8 mm must be in m if I'm doing this: 0.18/8 or 0.008 = 0.0225 or 22.5

Sorry, didn't understand that! You should be adding some 4 mm's or .004 m's movements together to get the distance moved in each cycle. How many?

Delphi51 said:
Sorry, didn't understand that! You should be adding some 4 mm's or .004 m's movements together to get the distance moved in each cycle. How many?

I'm just guessing but 1000000 because 1 km is 1000000 mm. For starters, the question doesn't make sense to me.

up to peak, back to center, down to trough, back to center
4 + 4 + 4 +4
16 mm per cycle.
How many cycles to make a km?

Delphi51 said:
4 + 4 + 4 +4
16 mm per cycle.

How did you know to add 4? Or that it was 16 mm per cycle?

Delphi51 said:
4 + 4 + 4 +4
16 mm per cycle.

62500 cycles because 1 km = 1000000 mm and 1000000 mm / 16 mm = 62500.

amandine said:
62500 cycles because 1 km = 1000000 mm and 1000000 mm / 16 mm = 62500.

you already correctly computed 8mm for each cycle for question a.

willem2 said:
you already correctly computed 8mm for each cycle for question a.

Oh, so is this the answer or is there more?

Thank goodness for Willem! Yes, the amplitude is 2 mm; don't know where I got the 4 from! You'll have to redo your calc for (d) dividing by 8 instead of 16. Sorry!

Delphi51 said:
Thank goodness for Willem! Yes, the amplitude is 2 mm; don't know where I got the 4 from! You'll have to redo your calc for (d) dividing by 8 instead of 16. Sorry!

Dividing by 8 with what? I'm lost. Could you make up an example of the question d and e? I don't understand the questions...

I fear I have mixed you up! You already did it with the 16.
Just 1000 000/8 is the answer to d.

You can do e in a jiffy after you finish (d) so you know the number of cycles and you already have the time for one cycle.

Delphi51 said:
I fear I have mixed you up! You already did it with the 16.
Just 1000 000/8 is the answer to d.

You can do e in a jiffy after you finish (d) so you know the number of cycles and you already have the time for one cycle.

I finished (d) by 1000000 mm / 8 mm = 125000 mm
For (e) would the answer be 125000 mm = 125 m therefore 125 m / 450 m.s = 0.27 s because the number of cycles is 125000 mm or 125 m and the time for one cycle is 450 m.s?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

the answer for d should be in cycles, not mm. This mistake probably caused you
to do the wrong thing in e as well
e) is the time to complete 125000 cycles. you already computed the period in c.

willem2 said:
the answer for d should be in cycles, not mm. This mistake probably caused you
to do the wrong thing in e as well
e) is the time to complete 125000 cycles. you already computed the period in c.

The period is the time to complete 125000 cycles? The period being 4x10^-4s is the answer to question e?

amandine said:
The period is the time to complete 125000 cycles? The period being 4x10^-4s is the answer to question e?

No, the period is the time to complete 1 cycle.

willem2 said:
No, the period is the time to complete 1 cycle.

To get the answer to question e do I divide 125000 / 0.0004 to get the time required for a particle on a string to move through a total distance of 1.0 km which would equal 312500000? If this is right then ignore this question about where does the amplitude fit in?

Related to The physics of wave properties on a string

1. What is a wave and how does it travel on a string?

A wave is a disturbance or variation that travels through a medium, such as a string. In the case of a string, the wave travels through the vibrations of the particles of the string. When one end of the string is moved, it creates a disturbance that travels through the string in the form of a wave.

2. What are the properties of a wave on a string?

The properties of a wave on a string include wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and velocity. The wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on a wave that are in phase. Frequency is the number of waves that pass a point in a given time. Amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position. Velocity is the speed at which the wave travels through the string.

3. How is the velocity of a wave on a string determined?

The velocity of a wave on a string is determined by the tension of the string and the mass per unit length of the string. The higher the tension and the lower the mass per unit length, the faster the wave will travel through the string.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in a wave on a string?

The relationship between wavelength and frequency in a wave on a string is inverse. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: velocity = wavelength x frequency.

5. How does the amplitude of a wave on a string affect its energy?

The amplitude of a wave on a string is directly proportional to its energy. This means that the higher the amplitude, the more energy the wave carries. This is because a higher amplitude wave has a greater displacement of particles and therefore, more energy is needed to create and sustain the wave.