The Power Cable Voltage Sinusoid Word Problem Question (How do you obtain C?)

The wiki page says that frequency is 2pi*whatever, so that means angular frequency is 2pi times the frequency, which is pi/10, so B is pi/5, not pi/10. This is a common mistake when people convert to frequency, they forget the 2pi. But it's easy to check for this mistake too, if you know the period is 10 and you know that period is also 2pi/B, then you just do 10=2pi/B and solve for B, which is how I got B=pi/5.But just saying frequency is 1/T is easier, and it's right. But it's not cool, and there's no
NastyAccident

Homework Statement

The voltage V in a power cable varies sinusoidally with time t. At t = 1, the voltage is 12 volts. The voltage rises to its maximum level of 20 volts by t = 6. At t = 11, the voltage returns to 12 volts and then begins to fall. The minimum voltage is 4 volts.

Homework Equations

y = (+/-)A*cos(Bx (+/-) C)+D or y = (+/-)A * sin(Bx (+/-) C)+D

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding A:
The use of (M-m) / 2 yields the amplitude, which is (20-4)/2 = 8.
So, A = 8.

Finding B:
The use of 2pi / B yields the period. So, assuming that the period of the average voltage function is 10 (11-1=10), I have 2pi / B = 10.
2pi=10B
2pi/10 = B
pi/5 = B
So the period is pi/5.

Finding C:
Unsure of how to proceed in this step, please advise.

Finding D:
The use of (M+m)/2 yields the vertical shift, which is (20+4)/2 = 12.
So, D or vertical shift in this case is 12.

My guess at the equation of this sinusoid is y = -8cos((pi/5)*x + C) + 12.

Any assistance is helping me understand how to obtain C would be invaluable to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You figured out A and D right I believe(8 and 12)

If you ever forgot what these things meant, you could just use some given info and the kinda "framework" wave, V=A*cos(B*t+C)+D (remember V is a function of t here, not x) so V=8*cos(B*t+C)+D, you can do whatever you want with the negatives, like if you did -8 instead of 8, that's peachy but it'll change the phase shift(C) by some amount. There's more than one right answer depending on if you use sin, cos, + or - in various places

so at t=1 V=12, so 12=8*cos(B+C)+12
at t=6 V=20, so 20=8*cos(B*6+C)+12

two equations, two unknowns! I assume you found B correctly and used the correct equation, note that you mispoke and said the period is pi/5 and also B, which is untrue. In that case you just go with 12=8*cos(pi/5+C)+12 and solve for C

More properly though, C is how much it's shifted left or right, and you can immediately eyeball the answer from the first two sentences in your question and knowing that 12 is the middle value for the wave

I meant to say B = pi/5.

The period is 10 in this particular case, due to it taking a total amount of 10 time units to complete a full cycle.

I'll attempt to solve for C as you suggested, I thought that there was another equation / option.

Err, the period should be 20...

So, B = 2pi/20 -> B = pi/10.

The horizontal shift C would be 1 to the right...

The correct equation would be something like: V = 8*sin(pi/10 * (t-1)) + 12

Can anybody validate that?

Mostly, you got C the right way but then fiddled with the equation's set up.

First: Remember it was all V=A*sin(B*t+C)+D but you threw the t in with the C for some reason

Just to make a quick semi-related point, notice that you also could've used cos instead of sin, and that would've changed your answer for C, but it would've still been right! That's easy to know if you remember sin is the same as cos, but shifted...pi/2? That wouldn't make it easier, but just to show that that weird equation with all the + or - and sin or cos stuff is just saying use whatever you want

NOTE: I don't think this is right, gimme a sec...
ok here's a graph of what V=8*sin(pi*t/10-1)+12
http://www.gomath.com/cgi-bin/plot.py?eq=8*sin%28pi*x%2F10-1%29%2B12&eq=&eq=&eq=&eq=&autoscale=1&xlow=&xhigh=&ylow=&yhigh=

Amplitude's right, vertical shift is right, but at t=1 it's clearly NOT 12 volts like it should be, and so on. See how easy these are to check? I checked and your equation for B is slightly wrong, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_frequency (B is angular frequency, if you want to know the cool names. C is phase shift. Now impress your teacher!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to The Power Cable Voltage Sinusoid Word Problem Question (How do you obtain C?)

1. How do you obtain C in the Power Cable Voltage Sinusoid Word Problem?

In order to obtain C, you need to use the formula C = V/√(2)πf. This formula represents the relationship between C, voltage (V), frequency (f), and the value for pi (π).

2. What is the significance of C in the Power Cable Voltage Sinusoid Word Problem?

C is a constant value that represents the amplitude of the sinusoidal function in the power cable voltage problem. It is an important factor in determining the maximum voltage and current values in the circuit.

3. How do you determine the value for frequency (f) in the Power Cable Voltage Sinusoid Word Problem?

The value for frequency can be obtained from the given data or by using a frequency meter. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and represents the number of cycles per second.

4. Can C have a negative value in the Power Cable Voltage Sinusoid Word Problem?

Yes, C can have a negative value if the sinusoidal function has a negative amplitude. This indicates a phase shift of 180 degrees in the waveform.

5. What are the units for C in the Power Cable Voltage Sinusoid Word Problem?

C is a unitless constant and does not have any specific units. However, it is often represented in volts (V) when solving for the maximum voltage in the circuit.