Voltages, currents and power between a power plant and a transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a plant connected to a 20/0.4 kV transformer and the calculations needed to determine voltage, tolerance, and cable requirements. However, the conversation highlights the difficulty in solving the problem without information on cable lengths and transformer impedance.
stipan_relix
Homework Statement
Calculate voltages on the main plant switchboard, M1 and O, power and current loads, etc.
Relevant Equations
I=P/sqrt(3)*U*cos(phi), Z=X*l - but I don't think this can be used here and I don't have an idea of any other equations to use
This is the first part of the problem, which I solved.

Now to the second part which I can't manage to find the equations I need to use.

Problem:
This plant is connected to a 20/0.4 kV transformer of 250 kVA power, through an XP00-A cable (4x150 mm2, IN=300 A, Z1=0.26 Ω/km).

a) Calculate voltages for the main plant switchboard and voltages on the connections to M1 and O
b) Are those voltages within the 10% tolerance?
c) Do the cables meet the real current load requirements?
d) Does the transformer meet the real power load requirement?

Cables:
Plant to transformer: 4x150 mm2, IN=300 A, Z1=0.26 Ω/km
Installation cables (M1 and O): 4x50 mm2, IN=150 A, Z2=0.705 Ω/km

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is everything I tried to do, and I don't know if any of it is right.

Do I just need to use the values I got in the first part, or what? I know of the Z=X*l equation, but I have no given length here, so I have no idea what else to use for any of this, including voltages for the switchboard and for M1 and O.

Physics news on Phys.org
Transformer to Plant.jpg

Babadag said:
So do you think this is unsolvable without cable lengths?

The cable length is required in order to calculate the cable actual impedance.

If the 20 kV line voltage will be the unchanged voltage then the transformer impedance also will be required in order to calculate the voltage drop.

If the Main Switchgear has to be able to get the rated transformer current the XPOO-A cable is too small.

Babadag said:
The cable length is required in order to calculate the cable actual impedance.
You were right, just got an email from the professor that he forgot to include the cable lengths. Thanks for trying to help!

1. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage is the measure of electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit, while current is the flow of electrical charge. In simpler terms, voltage is the push that makes the electrons move, while current is the actual movement of the electrons.

2. How are voltage and current related to power?

Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. In an electrical circuit, power is equal to the product of voltage and current (P=VI). This means that an increase in voltage or current will result in an increase in power.

3. Why is a transformer needed between a power plant and a consumer?

A transformer is needed to step up or step down the voltage from the power plant to match the voltage needed by the consumer. This is important for efficient and safe distribution of electricity. Higher voltages are used for long-distance transmission to minimize power losses, while lower voltages are used for household appliances.

4. What are the effects of high voltage and low voltage on power transmission?

High voltage transmission results in lower current and therefore lower power losses. However, it requires more expensive equipment and has higher safety risks. Low voltage transmission has lower safety risks but results in higher power losses and requires thicker and more expensive wires.

5. How is power measured in a circuit?

Power is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) and current (I) in a circuit. In larger systems, power is measured in kilowatts (kW) or megawatts (MW).