The power measured by a hydrophone in Watts or Watts/cm^2

In summary, the conversation is about finding the sound pressure level of a hydrophone and converting it to watts per cm^2. The attempted solution involves using the formula RL = 20 log10(Vrms) - OCV to calculate the sound pressure level in dB, and then converting it to pascals (Pa) using the equation Pa = 10^(dB/20) X 10^(-6). The discussion also includes confusion about converting pascals to watts and watts per cm^2, and the use of an online converter to check the calculations. Ultimately, the individual realizes their mistake and acknowledges it for others who may have a similar issue.
rwooduk

Homework Statement

6WuzAyX.jpg

Homework Equations

RL = 20 log10(Vrms) - OCV
For this hydrophone OCV = -211dB

The Attempt at a Solution

1. RL = 20 log10(Vrms) - OCV
RL = 20 log10(3.5mV) - (-211)
RL = 161dB re uPa

2. 20 log10 (uPa) = dB
Pa = 10^(dB/20) X 10^(-6) = 10^(161/20) X 10^(-6) = 112 kPa

3. ?

4. ?

5. Impedance

So I'm basically stuck in how to convert pascals to watts, and watts per cm^2. Would I use the volume of the water? but wouldn't that be cm^3? why is power measured in W/cm^2? and how do I convert the original 20W into this unit?

Thanks for any help with this!

p.s. If I use the online converter here:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-soundlevel.htm

I get 112 kPa = 194 db(SPL) = 25118864 W/m^2 = 2511 W/cm^2 which is HUGE, the value should be ~10W/cm^2 maximum

Physics news on Phys.org
err why has this been moved to Introductory? am I being that dumb? if there is a simple answer to this problem i'd love to hear it. aahhhhh yeah I am being dumb ... W = Pa m^3 /s

hmmm nope that doesn't work, if I use Pa = 112kPa the volume of the liquid = 400mL and divide by 1us, the value is huge.

yeah it was me being dumb, i'll just leave this here for anyone else who has a similar moment of dementure

yfEgAx8.jpg

1. What is a hydrophone?

A hydrophone is a type of underwater microphone used to detect and measure sound waves in water. It consists of a transducer that converts sound waves into electrical signals, which can then be measured and analyzed.

2. How is the power measured by a hydrophone expressed?

The power measured by a hydrophone is typically expressed in two units: Watts (W) or Watts/cm^2. Watts refers to the total amount of energy produced by the sound waves, while Watts/cm^2 is a measure of the intensity or concentration of the sound waves over a specific area.

3. What factors affect the power measured by a hydrophone?

The power measured by a hydrophone can be affected by several factors, including the strength and frequency of the sound source, the distance between the hydrophone and the source, and any obstacles or obstructions in the water that may affect the sound waves.

4. Can the power measured by a hydrophone be converted into other units?

Yes, the power measured by a hydrophone can be converted into other units, such as decibels (dB) or pascals (Pa). These conversions are often used to compare the power of different sound sources or to analyze the effects of sound on marine life.

5. How is the power measured by a hydrophone used in scientific research?

The power measured by a hydrophone is an important tool in various fields of scientific research, including oceanography, marine biology, and underwater acoustics. It can be used to study the behavior and communication of marine animals, map ocean currents and seafloor features, and monitor the effects of human activities on marine environments.