The preganglionic fibers which supply the thoracic viscera

In summary, Asmaa read that the preganglionic fibers which supply the thoracic viscera originate in the lateral horn of the upper 4 thoracic segments, while the preganglionic fibers which supply the head and neck originate in the lateral horn of the first and second thoracic segments. There is an explanation for this if T1/2 go to more than one anatomical region, as there will be many neurons projecting out to the autonomic ganglia.
Asmaa Mohammad
Hello,

In my textbook, I read that the preganglionic fibers which supply the thoracic viscera originate in the lateral horn of the upper 4 thoracic segments.

I read too that the the preganglionic fibers which supply the head and neck originate in the lateral horn of the first and second thoracic segments.

What I don't understand is how would the preganglionic fibers of the first and second thoracic segments (i.e. T1 and T2) supply both the region of the thoracic and the region of head & neck?

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi Asmaa,

Your question seems not too clear to me:
Your book says:
T4 --> thoacic viscera
and
T1/2 --> head and neck
It doesn't say T1/2 does both (from your description).

Although I am not an expert on the autonomic nervous system, there seems to be an obvious explanation (if in fact T1/2 go to more than one of these anatomical regions).

There will be many neurons projecting out to the autonomic ganglia. The different neurons could be projecting their axons to different places.
The autonomic ganglia are in a connected chain adjacent to the spinal cord.
Axons going out from the spinal cord to the sympathetic ganglia can turn and go anterior to other more anterior ganglia that in turn innervate the head and neck.
The neurons from T1/2 could do this, or some of the neurons at these levels could do it while other neurons in T1/2 could just go straight out (go neither anterior nor posterior).
Neurons do this kind of thing frequently.

BillTre said:
T4 --> thoacic viscera
The book said that the upper 4 segments supply the thoracic viscera, i.e. T1, T2, T3 and T4 (that's how I interpreted it).
BillTre said:
There will be many neurons projecting out to the autonomic ganglia. The different neurons could be projecting their axons to different places.
BillTre said:
Neurons do this kind of thing frequently.
I think I got it. Nice explanation!

But let's wait until one expert in ANS will tell us more information.

What are preganglionic fibers?

Preganglionic fibers are nerve fibers that originate from the spinal cord and travel to autonomic ganglia, where they synapse with postganglionic fibers to regulate autonomic functions.

Which thoracic viscera do the preganglionic fibers supply?

The preganglionic fibers supply the organs and structures in the thoracic cavity, such as the heart, lungs, esophagus, and major blood vessels.

How do the preganglionic fibers regulate functions in the thoracic viscera?

The preganglionic fibers release neurotransmitters that stimulate or inhibit the activity of the postganglionic fibers, which then control the functions of the thoracic viscera.

What happens if the preganglionic fibers are damaged?

If the preganglionic fibers are damaged, it can lead to dysfunction in the autonomic regulation of the thoracic viscera, resulting in symptoms such as difficulty breathing, abnormal heart rate, and digestive problems.

Can the preganglionic fibers be affected by diseases or disorders?

Yes, various diseases and disorders can affect the preganglionic fibers, leading to conditions such as autonomic neuropathy, autonomic dysreflexia, and Horner's syndrome.