The process of the method of images

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of the method of image and how it relates to electrostatic shielding. The main question revolves around whether the conducting plane should be grounded before or after placing the positive charge near it. The concept of induced charges and electroscopes are also mentioned as ways to further understand the method.
ta66505477
I am really confused that the whole process of the method of image.

Suppose I have the + q near the infinite conducting plane which is grounded.
My first question is: Is the conducting plane grounded before putting the +q or after putting the +q then grounded?

The first question would lead to my second question.

If I have an infinite neutral plane, then I am putting a +q near it, it will induce the negative charge on the plane. Next, I grounded the plane, so the positive charges on the plane will be neutralized (All the positive charges flowing away). After that, what you remain is the induced negative charges on the plane.

In another case, I am going to ground the infinite neutral plane first, then put the positive charge near the plane. Can the plane also be induced negative charges? If yes, will the +charges flow away?

Physics news on Phys.org
No matter you ground it first or later, I think the plane would both remain negative charges, which is induced by +q.
The method of the image can be grabbed directly by the concept of electrostatic shielding. Maybe you can try on it.

tommyxu3 said:
No matter you ground it first or later, I think the plane would both remain negative charges, which is induced by +q.
The method of the image can be grabbed directly by the concept of electrostatic shielding. Maybe you can try on it.
If you could find a gold leave electroscope you could try these experiments very easily.

Thank you!
I am going to find this electroscope.

What is the method of images?

The method of images is a mathematical technique used to solve certain types of boundary value problems in physics and engineering. It involves creating a mirror image of a given object or charge distribution to simplify the problem and find a solution.

How does the method of images work?

The method of images works by creating a mirror image of a given object, charge distribution, or boundary condition. By placing the mirror image in a specific position, the resulting electric potential or field satisfies the boundary conditions, simplifying the problem and allowing for an easier solution.

What types of problems can the method of images solve?

The method of images is commonly used to solve problems involving point charges near conductors, conducting spheres, and infinite parallel conducting plates. It is also useful in problems involving conducting cylinders or spheres in an electric field, and in certain cases of electrostatics and magnetostatics.

What are the advantages of using the method of images?

The method of images allows for the simplification of complex boundary value problems, making them easier to solve. It also provides a visual representation of the problem, making it easier to understand and conceptualize. Additionally, it can be used to solve problems with symmetrical boundary conditions, which may not be possible with other methods.

What are the limitations of the method of images?

The method of images is limited to problems with simple geometries and specific boundary conditions. It is not applicable to all types of boundary value problems, and may not provide an accurate solution in cases where the boundary conditions are not met. Additionally, it may not be suitable for problems involving time-varying fields or non-stationary objects.