The QED experiments Feynman describes in his Auckland lectures on Vega website

In summary, Feynman describes an experiment in his lectures in Auckland where photons are transmitted or reflected by two similar surfaces, showing varying rates of transmission/reflection based on the distance between the surfaces. This experiment is known as "thin film interference" and has been studied in both classical and quantum physics.
roberto85
Hi all, I am looking for some more information about the experiments that Feynman describes during the lectures that he gave in Auckland which can be viewed on the vega science trust website. The first experiment is where photons are transmitted or reflected by one surface with a second similar surface beyond the first and it shows varying rates of trasnmission/reflection depending on the distance between the two surfaces. Is there a particular name given to this experiment or can anyone point me to some information concerning it please?

He also describes some experiments with polaroid sheets but i haven't reached that video yet and i have questions about that particular one, so i will post about it later. I had first seen these lectures the year before i began my physics degree and now 5 years later I am watching them again to refresh my memory. Many thanks

Roberto85

Physics news on Phys.org
roberto85 said:
The first experiment is where photons are transmitted or reflected by one surface with a second similar surface beyond the first and it shows varying rates of trasnmission/reflection depending on the distance between the two surfaces. Is there a particular name given to this experiment or can anyone point me to some information concerning it please?

It's called "thin film interference."

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/thinfilm.html

This is a purely classical treatment. I haven't seen the video that you referred to, so I don't know how Feynman connects it with QED. As far as I know the QED results are the same as the classical ones, except that instead of "intensity" or "brightness" of the reflected or transmitted light, in QED they describe the probability of a single photon being reflected or transmittted.

1. What are the QED experiments described by Feynman on the Vega website?

The QED experiments described by Feynman on the Vega website are a series of experiments that demonstrate the principles and predictions of Quantum Electrodynamics (QED), which is the study of the interactions between light and matter at the subatomic level.

2. What was the purpose of Feynman's Auckland lectures on the Vega website?

The purpose of Feynman's Auckland lectures on the Vega website was to provide a comprehensive and accessible explanation of the concepts and experiments of QED to a general audience, in order to promote a better understanding of this important field of study.

3. How did Feynman contribute to the development of QED?

Feynman made significant contributions to the development of QED through his formulation of diagrams and mathematical techniques that helped to explain and predict the interactions between particles and electromagnetic fields. He also proposed the concept of virtual particles, which play a crucial role in the theory of QED.

4. What were some of the key findings from the QED experiments described by Feynman?

Some of the key findings from the QED experiments described by Feynman include the quantization of electromagnetic energy, the existence of virtual particles and their role in particle interactions, and the verification of QED predictions through precise experiments and calculations.

5. How have the QED experiments described by Feynman impacted our understanding of the universe?

The QED experiments described by Feynman have greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by providing a successful and accurate framework for explaining the interactions between particles and electromagnetic fields. They have also paved the way for further research and developments in the field of quantum physics, leading to new discoveries and technologies.