The relationship between angle and static coefficient

In summary: I appreciate it!In summary, the incline can be moved by raising it until it begins to move and then measuring the tangent of that angle. If we introduce another force parallel to the slope, we can get the slip/no slip boundary at a different angle.
Solweak
Homework Statement
Hello, I'm very confused about one of my lab activities. It asks "Design a procedure to find the coefficient for static friction of a mass at different angles." But from what I've read online there should be no relationship as you find the static friction from when it begins to slide and the tangent of that angle. Do I just say there is no relationship?
Relevant Equations
tan(θ) = μs
I know you find the static friction of an incline by raising it until it begins to move and then measure the tangent of that angle, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to show a relationship or create a procedure based off that.

Physics news on Phys.org
One possibility would be to introduce another (known) force parallel to the slope. I'll leave you to come up with options for that.

haruspex said:
One possibility would be to introduce another (known) force parallel to the slope. I'll leave you to come up with options for that.
If we had a pulley and string would that work? Also sorry I'm a little confused but what does the spring system show us?

Solweak said:
If we had a pulley and string would that work? Also sorry I'm a little confused but what does the spring system show us?
By having another force in there you can get the slip/no slip boundary at a different angle. Knowing the applied force, you can still calculate the static friction coefficient. You should find it comes out the same, of course, but the scientific spirit says it is worth checking.

haruspex said:
By having another force in there you can get the slip/no slip boundary at a different angle. Knowing the applied force, you can still calculate the static friction coefficient. You should find it comes out the same, of course, but the scientific spirit says it is worth checking.
Oh okay, that makes more sense, also if we didn't apply some force wouldn't the applied force be the downhill force from the normal force? So if we didn't do anything the applied force would just be mgsin(a)
e-body-force-diagram-block-on-frictionless-incline.png

Yes. But your diagram omits friction, and you should not show the whole mg as well as a component of it. Just show mg or both components.

Oh okay thank you so much for your time

1. What is the relationship between angle and static coefficient?

The relationship between angle and static coefficient is that as the angle of an object increases, the static coefficient also increases. This means that the object becomes more difficult to move or slide along a surface.

2. How does the angle affect the static coefficient?

The angle of an object affects the static coefficient by changing the distribution of weight and force on the object. As the angle increases, more weight and force are placed on the surface, resulting in a higher static coefficient.

3. Why is the relationship between angle and static coefficient important?

The relationship between angle and static coefficient is important because it helps us understand how objects behave on different surfaces. It also allows us to predict the amount of force needed to move or slide an object at different angles.

4. Does the material of the surface affect the relationship between angle and static coefficient?

Yes, the material of the surface does affect the relationship between angle and static coefficient. Different materials have different levels of friction, which can impact the static coefficient at different angles.

5. How can we measure the static coefficient at different angles?

The static coefficient at different angles can be measured using a force gauge or a dynamometer. These tools can measure the amount of force needed to move or slide an object at different angles, allowing us to determine the static coefficient.