In summary, PF Advisors were asked about their thoughts on the rise of AI and its impact on STEM in various areas. Some advisors expressed skepticism about its potential, while others acknowledged the potential for both positive and negative outcomes. Some mentioned the need for more clarity and understanding in terms of what truly constitutes AI. Others saw it as a valuable tool that can be used for beneficial purposes or misused for harmful ones. Overall, there were mixed opinions and levels of interest in the topic among the advisors.
We asked our PF Advisors “How do you see the rise in A.I. affecting STEM in the lab, classroom, industry and or in everyday society?”. We got so many great responses we need to split them into parts, here are the first several. Enjoy!

156839.jpg

Ranger Mike
If things run true as before, and I have seen no vast improvement in the correct forecasting of future trends from these areas, I see lots of money going in these areas but not much usable product coming out. I chose not to dwell on such predictions like back in the early 1980s when we were told the factory of the future would be a lights out manufacturing trend with only a few humans doing maintenance to keep the...

Continue reading...

Attachments

• 156839.jpg
    156839.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 617
  • 156839.jpg
    156839.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
This means I won't have to answer? I didn't so far, as I have nothing profound to say about it.

Likes jim mcnamara, member 587159, russ_watters and 1 other person
Same here. Glad the other troops stepped up! :smile:

Likes Wrichik Basu, member 587159, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
I did not participate, as my algorithms could not process this, and returned NaN.

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, Astronuc, Delta2 and 3 others
Sigh, I feel the subject is so speculative ATM I preferred to not even try.

Not that I doubt we will see more and more AI in the future. I am just not sure what it will really be.

Same for me. Now I don't have to think of anything clever about it.

fresh_42 said:
This means I won't have to answer? I didn't so far, as I have nothing profound to say about it.
berkeman said:
Same here. Glad the other troops stepped up! :smile:
George Jones said:
I did not participate, as my algorithms could not process this, and returned NaN.
Borek said:
Sigh, I feel the subject is so speculative ATM I preferred to not even try.

Not that I doubt we will see more and more AI in the future. I am just not sure what it will really be.
Doc Al said:
Same for me. Now I don't have to think of anything clever about it.

Since I have no idea what I'm talking about I just went ahead and speculated. :smile:

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Likes bhobba, Wrichik Basu, jim mcnamara and 7 others
Wait. I don't know a great deal about the science of AI either but I do routinely follow developments as you might know because of thread I introduced last year "Notable Accomplishment in AI".

OK, AI is a bit speculative especially AGI. But the impact will still be great even if AGI is not attainable. AI can be a tool for the solution to an almost infinite number of varied problems or an instrument for the creation of some very serious ones. Considering this I am surprised that members of this forum are so disinterested.

So yeah I'm willing to stick my neck out a bit.

gleem said:
Considering this I am surprised that members of this forum are so disinterested.
I don't see it as lack of interest, I see it as an unwillingness to speculate by some people which is quite different. Besides, Greg said the response was amazing. How do you interpret that as "disinterested"?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
phinds said:
I don't see it as lack of interest, I see it as an unwillingness to speculate by some people which is quite different.
My problem was, that I am not quite sure where algorithmic determinism and data analysis ends and AI begins. I doubt that all programs labeled AI deserve this categorization. So it wasn't the unwillingness to speculate, rather was it the unwillingness to check whether and where the label is justified. I have seen too many pigs chased through the village in my life as we say here to take any of those for serious in advance. The odds that it is just the latest trend and nothing substantial behind it, yet, are simply to high. I'd rather read a scientific paper in Computer Science than judging whether a program is AI or not.

Likes nsaspook, bhobba, StatGuy2000 and 2 others
fresh_42 said:
My problem was, that I am not quite sure where algorithmic determinism and data analysis ends and AI begins.
Perhaps we could write some kind of learning algorithm to help with that task...

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, berkeman and BillTre
Sorry Greg I think I had a mental flatulation. I was so taken aback by the posts in this thread that I overlooked (dont't ask me how) your statement.

@Greg Bernhardt I have begun a response, do I send it to you or post in the thread when it is created.

Likes berkeman and Greg Bernhardt
gleem said:
@Greg Bernhardt I have begun a response, do I send it to you or post in the thread when it is created.
Great! You can send it to me, thanks!

My problem is that I know not enough to make a statement about AI. From time to time I've heard talks about "deep learning algorithms" used as a special data-analysis technique, but that's all I've so far heard about it from non-popular sources.

Here's a nice summary.
https://www.the-scientist.com/magazine-issue/artificial-intelligence-versus-neural-networks-65802
"AI refers to any machine that is able to replicate human cognitive skills, such as problem solving," pattern recognition, or signal/signature analysis.

AI programs are found at many universities and scientific institutions. It has evolved with the advancement of computational resources, i.e., systems with faster and more numerous processors.

A bit more detail on neural networks.
http://news.mit.edu/2017/explained-neural-networks-deep-learning-0414

IMO AI should be defined as capable to lie on purpose.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and russ_watters
AI is simply a tool. It can be used (for beneficial purposes) or misused (for harmful purposes).

Likes vanhees71 and russ_watters
phinds said:
Since I have no idea what I'm talking about I just went ahead and speculated. :smile:
When I think a question is too broad/vague or speculative, I just ignore it and ask and answer my own!

Likes Evo and BillTre
Heck, I thought everyone here but me is AI anyway...

If I prick you, do you not... short out?

• Haha
Likes russ_watters and BillTre
chemisttree said:
Heck, I thought everyone here but me is AI anyway...

If I prick you, do you not... short out?
I don't know about the other guys here but if you try to prick me, I'm calling the cops !

fresh_42 said:
My problem was, that I am not quite sure where algorithmic determinism and data analysis ends and AI begins. I doubt that all programs labeled AI deserve this categorization. So it wasn't the unwillingness to speculate, rather was it the unwillingness to check whether and where the label is justified. I have seen too many pigs chased through the village in my life as we say here to take any of those for serious in advance. The odds that it is just the latest trend and nothing substantial behind it, yet, are simply to high. I'd rather read a scientific paper in Computer Science than judging whether a program is AI or not.

I agree with. In my field (experimental SC quantum computing) AI comes up in two contextsL

1) In helping run experiments. Primarily to optimise experimental parameters "on the fly" when dealing with very large parameter spaces (which is very often the case) and/or in feedback. Here the "boundaries" between AI, ML and regular optimisation are very blurry.
See e.g.
Lennon, D.T., Moon, H., Camenzind, L.C. et al. Efficiently measuring a quantum device using machine learning. npj Quantum Inf 5, 79 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41534-019-0193-4

However, some of the "ML" work is little more than clever curve fitting, so I wouldn't count that as AI.

2) As a possible application. Quantum machine learning is quite a hot topic at the moment (e.g. image recognition) and there is also work on things like deep learning (which I guess is more like "proper" AI)

Likes berkeman, Astronuc and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:

You raise a good point, which is connected to my own reply in the Conversations regarding AI.

I find that discussions regarding AI are often confused, because there are a number of different definitions on what artificial intelligence actually encompass.

According to Chapter 1 of the best-selling and standard textbook on AI -- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach, by UC Berkeley computer scientist Stuart Russell and Google researcher Peter Norvig (a copy of which I own) -- AI can be defined in four different areas:

1. Thinking humanly
2. Thinking rationally
3. Acting humanly
4. Acting rationally

#1 and #2 together are concerned with thought processes and reasoning, whereas #3 and #4 together are concerned with behaviour.

#1 and #3 together measure success in terms of fidelity to human performance, whereas #2 and #4 together measure against an ideal performance measure, which we call rationality.

Any discussions regarding what AI is or is not needs to take the above definitions into account.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" It doesn't matter what you call it, machine learning, expert systems, natural language processing, intelligent retrieval, artificial learning, etc. Let us not get hung up on what we call AI and just concentrate on why, how, and where this technology can or should be implemented. Concentrate on the benefits and risks of its implementation. Develop plans and strategies to maximize the benefits relative to risks before things get out of hand and we end up with untenable problems.

fresh_42 said:
I think that's an end game scenario. We'll have highly versatile, useful, and productive AI LONG before we get to that.

Likes vanhees71
phinds said:
I think that's an end game scenario. We'll have highly versatile, useful, and productive AI LONG before we get to that.
I'm still insecure whether AI isn't simply a better data analysis method rather than Intelligence. It isn't that long ago that we refused the animal world to have any intelligence beyond instinct and heritage at all! At the same time we started to use the term AI? This doesn't make much sense to me. Some species are capable to lie. Yet, we refused to call it Intelligence. And now some data mining tools should be called as such? Ridiculous.

Likes russ_watters
fresh_42 said:
I'm still insecure whether AI isn't simply a better data analysis method rather than Intelligence. It isn't that long ago that we refused the animal world to have any intelligence beyond instinct and heritage at all! At the same time we started to use the term AI? This doesn't make much sense to me. Some species are capable to lie. Yet, we refused to call it Intelligence. And now some data mining tools should be called as such? Ridiculous.
I think it gets down to just arguing about terminology. I'm an engineer. I'm more interested in actual characteristics than I am in names.

Likes gleem
phinds said:
I think it gets down to just arguing about terminology. I'm an engineer. I'm more interested in actual characteristics than I am in names.
Not really. The question is: What makes AI different from all classical algorithms? Is it a new property or a only a sophisticated algorithm?

But I admit that I'm playing the devil's advocate in this discussion and not all of my statements would survive a further analysis. Personally, I don't like the "I" in AI. To me this is a sign of the usual human arrogance rather than a justified name. And a point of sales. So far we have had (probably among others):
ERP's (80's), IT certification (90's), OO (90's), Customer Relationship Management (90's), Risk Analysis and Backup Systems (00's), Data Mining (00's), Cloud Computing and other remote concepts (10's) and now it is quantum computing and AI. It keeps consultancies busy and fills team meetings.

In this sense it is about terminology. But is also the question whether the word Intelligence is justified, especially under the scope that we refuse(d) to label Intelligence in non human nature. If terminology suggest a property which isn't there, then terminology becomes an issue.

@fresh_42 You may be interested in one of the first AI projects (programs) call the "Logic Theorist" developed by A. Newell, J C Shaw, and H A Simon. Newell was a cognitive psychologist. Among other things, they used it to prove theorems from Ch 2 of Whitehead and Russell's "Mathematica Principia".

You can download it at https://www.rand.org/pubs/papers/P1320.html

fresh_42 said:
The question is: What makes AI different from all classical algorithms? Is it a new property or a only a sophisticated algorithm?
No matter what is the answer to those questions, The question that was asked was:«How do you see the rise in A.I. affecting STEM in the lab, classroom, industry and or in everyday society?»

One point I raised in my answer is the fact that a lot of people want to use AI (or whatever you want to call that technology) to make final decisions, without any human supervision (like driving a car or maybe even make societal choices). If we do go down that road (should we allow it?), we will have to redefine what responsibilities one individual has towards another one or even the group.

You must have an opinion about that.

Likes russ_watters and BillTre
jack action said:
I do. I would consider it as an additional parameter rather than a trigger for decisions. But I'm a bit old fashioned and things are far less dramatic in reality than Asimov's laws would suggest. It is not the apocalypse waiting around the corner, neither the futurological congress, nor skynet, nor the matrix. It will be a useful tool and certainly not all fantasies will come true. I am strongly against decision making by machines, It causes people to drive into rivers because GPS tells them to do. Just a few hours ago, Cortana informed me where she (?) put my alerts into. As if that was an "I". If I knew how, I would deinstall that rubbish.

fresh_42 said:
... Cortana informed me where she (?) put my alerts into. As if that was an "I". If I knew how, I would deinstall that rubbish.
I also find Cortana incredibly obnoxious. I got rid of it as soon as I installed Win10 but that's been several years now and I don't recall what all I did. I do know I found instruction on the internet. We are not the only ones who hate it.

jack action said:
No matter what is the answer to those questions, The question that was asked was:«How do you see the rise in A.I. affecting STEM in the lab, classroom, industry and or in everyday society?»

One point I raised in my answer is the fact that a lot of people want to use AI (or whatever you want to call that technology) to make final decisions, without any human supervision (like driving a car or maybe even make societal choices). If we do go down that road (should we allow it?), we will have to redefine what responsibilities one individual has towards another one or even the group.

There was this book " Weapons of Math Destruction" based on that, on decisions made by machines bypassing or ignoring human judgement and the risks associated with it.

So @Greg Bernhardt , when will these be published?

I prefer an extremely broad definition of AI. One that would include almost all technology and automation. I would include James Watt's flyball governor from the 1700s as an AI device. It "decided" how to adjust the throttle to maintain nearly constant speed. The methods of making the "decision" are beside the point.
1593431786791.png

My reason is simple, if we replace some human with some machines, who cares if the machine is AI or not? Even that flyball governor displaced some intelligent human workers who could have sat there with their hands on the throttle and made intelligent decisions to regulate it.

If we have technology providing benefits on one hand, risks on the second hands, and displacing human workers on the third hand, what difference does it make if that technology deserves the label AI?

IMO debate over what AI really means is a needless distraction. IMO claims that AI is a discrete approach or "quantum leap" are false. Comparisons to human intelligence and the magic of cognition are not helpful. We will have continuous spectrum of machine abilities, and methods to achieve those abilities.

Likes 256bits, Averagesupernova, russ_watters and 1 other person
anorlunda said:
So @Greg Bernhardt , when will these be published?
First part tonight or tomorrow!

Likes anorlunda
fresh_42 said:
I wrote some AI for myself:
Code:
main( ) {
        printf("You are smart and attractive. Everybody likes you.\n");
}

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, phinds and anorlunda