The Salty Chemistry of Kitchen Salt in Water

In summary, when kitchen salt is dissolved in water, the molecules of NaCl dissociate into Na+ and Cl- ions. When a solution is poured into another glass, it is possible for there to be an imbalance of ions. This is because the ions are randomly dispersed in water. However, the differences are typically very small and can be assumed to be electrically neutral. Friction charges are much larger in comparison.
Carlos Gouveia
Kitchen salt is soluble in water. Whenever this happens, molecules of NaCl dissociate into the two chemical entities that form such molecule, the cation Na+ and the anion Cl-. Suppose I dissolve some amount of NaCl in water. Then I pour part of this solution into another glass. Is it possible that such operation might cause some ion unbalance, I mean, in the end one of the glasses might contain more Na+ cations than Cl- anions, or vice versa? Because cations and anions are chaotically/randomly dispersed in water, right? Therefore, more Na+ than Cl- ions may pass from the first to the second glass.

Not sure if I made myself clear, but that's my question. Thanks for any light shed on this matter.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, it is possible. However, these differences are so small we can safely assume both parts are electrically neutral. Charges accumulated due to friction are much larger.

Likes Carlos Gouveia and FBarbuto

1. How does salt dissolve in water?

When salt (sodium chloride) is added to water, the polar water molecules are attracted to the positively charged sodium ions and the negatively charged chloride ions. These water molecules surround the ions and pull them away from the crystal, causing the salt to dissolve.

2. Why does adding salt to boiling water make it boil faster?

Adding salt to water increases the boiling point of the water. This means that the water needs to reach a higher temperature before it can boil. As a result, adding salt to boiling water can make it boil faster because it is already at a higher temperature than plain water.

3. How does salt affect the taste of food?

Salt is a flavor enhancer and can make food taste better by stimulating the taste buds on our tongues. It also helps to balance and enhance other flavors in a dish, making it taste more complex and satisfying.

4. Can saltwater conduct electricity?

Yes, saltwater can conduct electricity because it contains free-moving ions (sodium and chloride) that are able to carry an electrical current. This is why saltwater is often used in science experiments to demonstrate the flow of electricity.

5. Why does salt dissolve faster in hot water than cold water?

Salt dissolves faster in hot water because the molecules in hot water have more energy and are able to move around and interact with the salt particles more quickly. This helps to break apart the crystal and dissolve the salt faster than in cold water where the molecules have less energy and move more slowly.