The spin of quarks in an H dibaryon

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of an exercise regarding the dibaryon H, which is composed of uuddss particles with total spin and relative angular momentum of zero. The question raised is why the spin of every pair of particles (uu, dd, ss) is equal to 1 and why it cannot be zero, considering that these particles can carry different colors and not violate Pauli's exclusion principle. The question also asks how the total spin can be zero if there is an odd number of integer spins. Additionally, the conversation poses a simpler problem of adding two J=1 spins to obtain a total spin of J=1.
Keru
I have some difficulties interpreting an exercise. It states that the dibaryon H is made of uuddss, with total spin zero, and relative angular momentum 0 as well. It then proceeds to use that the spin of every pair of particles uu, dd, and ss is equal to 1. Why is that the case?
It seems obvious that spin doesn't have to be necessarily zero, since these particles can carry different colors and therefore not violate Pauli's exclusion principle. But why can't it be zero? And how can the total spin be zero, if I have an odd number of integer spins?

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please post the complete question?

And how can the total spin be zero, if I have an odd number of integer spins?

Let's ask a simpler problem. Suppose I add two J=1 spins. Can I get total J=1? How?

Keru said:
an exercise

Where? Please give a reference.

1. What is a quark spin?

A quark spin refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a quark, which is a fundamental particle that makes up protons and neutrons. It is a quantum property that determines the quark's orientation in space.

2. What is an H dibaryon?

An H dibaryon is a hypothetical particle made up of two baryons, which are particles composed of three quarks. The H dibaryon is predicted to have a spin of 0, meaning that the spins of the two baryons cancel out.

3. How is the spin of quarks in an H dibaryon determined?

The spin of quarks in an H dibaryon is determined through experiments that measure the spin of the H dibaryon. Theoretically, the spin of the quarks can also be calculated using mathematical models and equations based on the known properties of quarks.

4. Why is the spin of quarks in an H dibaryon important?

The spin of quarks in an H dibaryon is important because it can provide insight into the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding quarks together to form particles. Studying the spin of quarks in an H dibaryon can also help us understand the structure and properties of baryons and the fundamental building blocks of matter.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying the spin of quarks in an H dibaryon?

While there are no direct practical applications, understanding the spin of quarks in an H dibaryon can contribute to our overall understanding of the universe and the fundamental forces that govern it. This knowledge can also potentially lead to advancements in fields such as nuclear physics and particle physics.