The Theoretical Minimum: Length Contraction and Time Dilation

In summary: No, they should be the same. The lower [x',ct'] on the right is just at the origin of the coordinate system.In summary, the x'-axis is oriented perpendicular to the t'-axis and the ct'-axis is oriented parallel to the t'-axis. You can use these axes to grade any axes in your Minkowski diagram.
DavidBalut
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to understand Minkowski diagrams.
Hello,

My name is Dave and I'm a physics major at UIUC. It looks like I will be taking the special relativity course (phys 225) this fall. I've always been fascinated by the theory so I decided to get a head start with Lenny and Art's perspective on it.

My first head-scratching moment came in section 1.4. First with the "geometry" of length contraction. I completely agree that on pg 38 the line OP is shorter than line OQ, due to the transforming coordinate Q onto the x prime axis in the form of point P. However, what I can't get my mind around is the "geometry of this situation" how can the "leg of a right triangle" be longer than the "hypotenuse of a right triangle"

This happens again on page 42. Time moves slower in the moving frame such that t_stationary frame > t_moving frame. Yet, once again the leg is greater than the hypotenuse.

I have a feeling that apparent lengths on different axes are irrelevant and arbitrary and what really matters is calculated values by Lorentz transformations.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

20220703_145859.jpg
20220703_145842.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
DavidBalut said:
However, what I can't get my mind around is the "geometry of this situation" how can the "leg of a right triangle" be longer than the "hypotenuse of a right triangle"
Because it's Minkowski and not Euclidean geometry. A line in Minkowski geometry can have zero length if it is light-like. I.e if ##\Delta x = c\Delta t##. That's definitely non-Euclidean.

Likes malawi_glenn
The length L' in S' is defined as Δx' when Δt' = 0

You can use the following for space time diagrams, when S' moves in S in the x-direction with speed v

## \dfrac{\text{one } c t' \text{ unit}}{\text{one } c t \text{ unit }} = \dfrac{\text{one } x' \text{ unit}}{\text{one } x \text{ unit}} = \sqrt{\dfrac{1+ \beta^2}{1-\beta^2}}## where ## \beta = v/c## it is quite easy to prove this relation with the Lorentz-transformation and it is good to write it down somewhere on a piece of paper and always have it next to you when dealing with space-time diagrams

PeroK said:
Because it's Minkowski and not Euclidean geometry. A line in Minkowski geometry can have zero length if it is light-like. I.e if ##\Delta x = c\Delta t##. That's definitely non-Euclidean.
Oh! That is awesome! Thanks for the quick reply!

So trust the math for values, not the pictures?

DavidBalut said:

The pictures are good, but you need to remember that the units along the ct' and ct axes are not the same. Similarly for x' and x axes, see my post above

Likes DavidBalut
Aha! I got it now! Thanks so much

DavidBalut said:
Aha! I got it now! Thanks so much
also remember how the axes in the S' system are oriented. You do not measure with right angles

1656880301904.png

DavidBalut said:
Summary: I am trying to understand Minkowski diagrams.

I completely agree that on pg 38 the line OP is shorter than line OQ
Isn't OP longer than OQ in the diagram on page 38? In S' you should project OP non-orthogonally on the t'- and x'-axis, parallel to both of them.

DavidBalut said:
Trust both! But your interpretation of the pictures must be based on the correct geometry.

As already stated in this thread, Minkowski space is not Euclidean space which means you cannot go around applying Euclidean tools such as a graded ruler to go around measuring things.

The difference between the geometries can be traced back to the Minkowski space equivalent of the Pythagorean theorem:
$$
s^2 = t^2 - x^2
$$
(I put ##c=1## because it is convenient)
Note the big difference in the appearance of a minus sign (!) for the spatial part. This means that the Minkowski equvalent of hypothenuse length squared can be positive, zero, or even negative. We refer to such lines as timelike, lightlike (or null), and spacelike, respectively.

You can use this to grade any axes in your Minkowski diagram much in the same way you can use a unit circle to grade axes in Euclidean space. In Euclidean space, you can draw the curve ##x^2+y^2=1##. Wherever that crosses an axis (as long as you keep to only ising coordinates with a common origin), that is the 1 mark of the axis.

Similarly, in Minkowski space, the curves ##t^2 - x^2 =\pm 1## are unit hyperbolae. The one with the positive sign will cross any time axis at the 1 mark for that axis and the same for the minus sign but for the spatial axis.

To deduce qualitative results such as length contraction rather than length elongation you do not even need to be very accurate with your hyperbola drawings.

Likes bhobba and PeroK
drmalawi said:
also remember how the axes in the S' system are oriented. You do not measure with right angles

View attachment 303716
Shouldn't the lower [x',ct'] on the right be [x,ct]?

JandeWandelaar said:
Isn't OP longer than OQ in the diagram on page 38? In S' you should project OP non-orthogonally on the t'- and x'-axis, parallel to both of them.
No. OP is shorter than OQ. This is the entire point of length contraction. This is independent of what frame is used to compute it because the length of any spacelike line is invariant.

Likes bhobba
JandeWandelaar said:
Shouldn't the lower [x',ct'] on the right be [x,ct]?
it should yes, I just took the first best pic I could find online that showed the "shape" of geometry. I was too tired to scrutinize the labelings

Orodruin said:
What circle?

I guess he means circle in euclidian space

DavidBalut said:
Oh! That is awesome! Thanks for the quick reply!

Spacetime diagrams, IMO, are not as straightforward as some people like to claim. Especially if you are trying to illustrate a scenario in two different reference frames. As is the case here.

Moreover, if you try to apply your knowledge of Euclidean geometry to them, then they will be misleading.

They can be very useful, nevertheless.

Orodruin said:
What circle
I indeed mean the circle in the Euclidean space. The arc-length, which is the same as the angle, corresponds to the arclength of the hyperbola.

JandeWandelaar said:
I indeed mean the circle in the Euclidean space. The arc-length, which is the same as the angle, corresponds to the arclength of the hyperbola.
In the correspondence of Euclidean to Minkowski geometry, yes. But with the important point that the arc length is measured with the appropriate geometry, ie, the hyperbola’s arc length measured using the Minkowski geometry. If you draw a hyperbola in a Euclidean plane the argument of cosh and sinh etc are instead related to area. Hence, why the standard names of the inverse hyperbolic functions are arsinh, arcosh etc instead of arcsinh, arccosh, … as many believe.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba, JandeWandelaar and malawi_glenn
In order to talk about "look" you need to take into account that ligth has to travel from the event to the observers eyes. Measuring and "seeing" are two separate things in relativity. Look up for instance Terrell rotation of a square. If the square's restlenght is L, the viewer will actually see the length L, but will measure the contracted length L/γ
1656925142029.png

Lets do the actual calculations (using c = 1 to avoid cluttering) for the space-interval as measured in S': xP' - xO'.
In S the event O has coordinates (xO, tO) = (0, 0) in S' this event has coordinates (xO', tO') = (0, 0)
In S the event P has coordinates (xP, tP) = (1, v)
Thus, the space-interval as measured in S is: xP- xO = 1
In S' the event P has coordinates (xP', tP') = (γ⋅(1-v2), 0) = (1/γ, 0)
Thus, the space-interval as measured in S' is xP' - xO' = 1/γ
Since γ ≥1, we have xP' - xO' < xP - xO
The length in S' as MEASURED in S' is shorter than what it is MEASURED in S.

Likes JandeWandelaar
drmalawi said:
Events are points yes, but you wrote interval.

No idea what you are after, but the clock in the S frame is stationary in S so it is always positioned there at the (x,t) = (0, t) coordiate. The clock in the S' frame is stationary in S' so its stays positioned at the (x', t') = (0, t') coordinate. Now perform a Lorentz-transformation and you will get that t' = γ⋅(t - 0⋅v) = γ⋅t and this is called time dilation. As you poined out, since the origins of S and S' coincide, we have that Δt' = γ⋅Δt

View attachment 303725

That transforms S-frame-coordinates of a clock ##A##, that is at rest in frame S, into coordinates of frame S'.

The 2nd picture in the OP and the text below show the transformation of the S'-frame-coordinates of a clock ##B##, that is at rest in frame S', into coordinates of frame S:
##t_B=\gamma ({t'}_B+0 \cdot v) = \gamma {t'}_B##

I think, that Minkowski diagrams in textbooks should always show scales at their axes for better understanding.

pf2.png

via:
https://www.geogebra.org/m/NnrRvA46

Last edited:
Likes malawi_glenn
@JandeWandelaar you are cluttering up someone else's thread with incorrect information. That is not helpful to either the OP or to other readers. You have now been banned from further posting in this thread.

Likes weirdoguy, Vanadium 50 and Orodruin

1. What is "The Theoretical Minimum: Length Contraction and Time Dilation"?

"The Theoretical Minimum: Length Contraction and Time Dilation" is a concept in physics that describes the effects of special relativity on the measurement of distance and time between two objects moving at high speeds relative to each other.

2. How do length contraction and time dilation occur?

Length contraction occurs when an object moves at high speeds relative to an observer, causing it to appear shorter in the direction of motion. Time dilation occurs when time appears to slow down for an object moving at high speeds relative to an observer.

3. What is the relationship between length contraction and time dilation?

Length contraction and time dilation are two sides of the same coin, known as the Lorentz transformation. As an object's length contracts, time for that object appears to slow down, and vice versa.

4. How are length contraction and time dilation measured?

Length contraction and time dilation can be measured using the Lorentz factor, which takes into account the speed of an object relative to an observer. This factor can be used to calculate the amount of contraction or dilation that will occur.

5. What are the practical applications of length contraction and time dilation?

Length contraction and time dilation are important concepts in modern physics and have practical applications in fields such as particle accelerators, GPS systems, and space travel. They also play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.