The TOE: Does It Explain Everything?

• Thread starter rghusted
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of a Theory of Everything (TOE) and how it could potentially explain everything in the universe. The participants also discuss the concept of nothingness and how it may exist in different forms and directions. It is suggested that common sense may not always apply in the realm of physics and that a TOE may involve mathematical principles similar to K_Godel's Golden Rule.
rghusted
The TOE should explain EVERYTHING. We may not know what it is, but if it does indeed explain everything, odds are that we already possesses a formula which describes a very commonplace phenomenon of physics, but have not yet recognized the universality of that phenomenon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you suggesting something like : 'we don't have the understanding behind everything we have learnt' ?

Hmmmm, what could it be...

If the universe was entirely scientific why would it need to exist? Say 'nothingness' existed. What is it? Half comprised +ve, and half comprised -ve... each cancelling to form the 'nothingness'... but then WHERE would the +ve be and WHERE would the -ve be and WHY? Would there be more than one set of +ve and -ve or MORE, and WHY would that need to be?

Nothingness exists. If i were to tell you of a place 100 billion miles in space from where i am in a specified direction, i would give that place meaning. I have given that place meaning because i have defined that it exists. No matter how small that location is, it still exists because it has been given meaning. If you say, "What about 2 inches to the left of that place, is that nothing"? Not any more it isn't because it has been defined. Nothing is indeed something. I believe that is why space continues forever in every direction. Because all that nothingness out there has some more nothingness in all directions.

You are using common sense to try to define physics

A lot of the time, common sense makes less sense in physics

K_

Godel's Golden Rule

This statement is false.
this can be spelled out mathmatically in any number system worth its salt. If any TOE were sufficiently developed I would have to assume it would come down to a like statement. QM seems like a good place to start looking.

Related to The TOE: Does It Explain Everything?

1. What is the TOE?

The TOE, or Theory of Everything, is a theoretical framework in physics that aims to explain all physical phenomena in the universe. It is also known as the "theory of everything," "final theory," or "ultimate theory."

2. Can the TOE explain everything?

The TOE is a highly debated topic in the scientific community. While some scientists believe that it has the potential to explain everything, others argue that it may not be possible for any single theory to explain all physical phenomena in the universe.

3. Who came up with the TOE?

The idea of a TOE has been explored by many scientists throughout history, including prominent figures such as Einstein and Newton. However, the term "theory of everything" was coined by physicist John Archibald Wheeler in 1967.

4. How does the TOE differ from other theories in physics?

The TOE seeks to unify all of the fundamental forces of nature (such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces) into a single theory. This sets it apart from other theories in physics that only explain specific aspects of the universe.

5. Is there evidence to support the TOE?

Currently, there is no definitive evidence to support the TOE. This is because it is a theoretical framework that has yet to be fully developed and tested. However, many scientists continue to work towards finding a unifying theory that can explain all physical phenomena in the universe.