The torque required to rotate 675 lbs mass?

In summary, the operator will need to turn the object 180 degrees with a minimum torque of 23871.534 pounds at the center of gravity.
shawnycoconut
1651161749058.png

Hello everyone,
I am trying to design a fixture that can clamp onto and turn an equipment 180 degrees for maintenance.
I am trying to figure out what torque will be required at the hand wheel to turn it.
The piece of equipment will be clamped at its center of gravity. However, its mass is not symmetrical.

Pleases guide me along this problem. Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What is the MOI of the object?

Here are the mass properties of the equipment that needed to be turned.
source: Solidworks Mass = 673.280 pounds

Volume = 3065.995 cubic inches

Surface area = 9939.267 square inches

Center of mass: ( inches )
X = 0.012
Y = 7.023
Z = 0.002

Principal axes of inertia and principal moments of inertia: ( pounds * square inches )
Taken at the center of mass.
Ix = ( 0.000, 1.000, 0.001) Px = 23871.534
Iy = (-0.997, 0.000, 0.072) Py = 37167.538
Iz = ( 0.072, -0.001, 0.997) Pz = 37745.029

Moments of inertia: ( pounds * square inches )
Taken at the center of mass and aligned with the output coordinate system.
Lxx = 37170.503 Lxy = 1.103 Lxz = -41.273
Lyx = 1.103 Lyy = 23871.541 Lyz = 9.484
Lzx = -41.273 Lzy = 9.484 Lzz = 37742.057

Moments of inertia: ( pounds * square inches )
Taken at the output coordinate system.
Ixx = 70379.321 Ixy = 55.828 Ixz = -41.258
Iyx = 55.828 Iyy = 23871.633 Iyz = 18.187
Izx = -41.258 Izy = 18.187 Izz = 70950.963

shawnycoconut said:
Pleases guide me along this problem.
1) How will you get it mounted so that the CG will be on the axis of rotation? What is your location tolerance?

2) Given the worst case location tolerance (CG farthest from axis of rotation), what is the worst case torque (CG is horizontally displaced from axis of rotation)?

3) How much force can a normal person exert on a handwheel handle? From that, calculate the minimum handwheel diameter.

4) Is there a reason why the operator cannot turn it by grabbing the object directly? No handwheel.

5) How fast does the operator need to turn it 180 degrees? If more than about 10 seconds, then acceleration/deceleration torque can be ignored. I faster than 4 or 5 seconds, then you need to calculate acceleration/deceleration torque about the axis of rotation.

The above is enough for you to get started. Work through the above carefully, then we can help you with the next steps.

Likes Lnewqban
jrmichler said:
4) Is there a reason why the operator cannot turn it by grabbing the object directly? No handwheel.
Excellent question!

$$ \sum T = I \frac{d^2 \theta}{dt^2}$$

What is the moment of inertia of the body about the axis you wish to rotate it about? Your coordinates of the mass center and MOI calculated by the program are RELATIVE to the CM coordinate system in your 3D model. Which axis are you rotating about. Is that axis coincident with a principal axis? I simple diagram of the part ( indicating the axis of rotation ) would greatly help.Then you are going to have some opposing torque that is a function of the bearing load ( and the quality, type of bearing), and a torque applied by the operator ( through the wheel )

Last edited:

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is commonly measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque related to mass?

The torque required to rotate an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the more torque is needed to rotate it.

3. How do you calculate the torque required to rotate a mass?

The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the applied force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. To calculate the torque required to rotate a specific mass, you will need to know the mass of the object and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

4. Can the torque required to rotate a mass be reduced?

Yes, the torque required to rotate a mass can be reduced by either decreasing the mass or decreasing the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This is why it is easier to rotate a lighter object or to apply a force closer to the axis of rotation.

5. What factors can affect the torque required to rotate a mass?

The torque required to rotate a mass can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and the type of force being applied (e.g. a pushing or pulling force).