Torque required to rotate an object at an angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the torque required to rotate a platform initially declined at an angle. The speaker mentions having a load at the end of the platform and wanting to rotate it 180 degrees from its initial position. They also mention ignoring the platform's self weight for simplicity. The torque required is related to the work required to lift the load from one point to another, and the final torque will depend on the chosen slew ring for circular movement. The opposing torque is maximum at 90 degrees and is determined by the load and its distance from the axis. The purpose of the slew ring is unclear.
jhogue74
I am trying to work out the torque required to rotate a platform, initially declined at an angle. See attached hand sketch.
My situation is
- I have a platform initially at a declined angle, say at 0 degrees.
- I have a load at the end of the platform at 0 degrees
- I want to be able to rotate the platform and load 180 degrees from its initial position
- I am ignoring the platform self weight at the moment for simplicity

My thoughts are that the torque required is related to the amount of work required to lift the load F from point 1 to point 2, for now ignoring efficiencies of components etc. The final torque required will be based on the slew ring I choose to allow the circular movement.

Could anyone give me their thoughts on my situation. Trying to work my way through what loads/forces are to be considered and then resolving this back to a torque at the drive motor.

Thanks,

Jason

Attachments

• Sketch.jpg
    Sketch.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 370
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello jhogue, ##\quad## :welcome: ##\quad## !

torque in your scenario depends on how far the platform has rotated: it's 0 at 0 and 180 degrees and maximum at 90.

At that point you have an opposing torque ##\ F\sin(85) \ ## times the distance between load and axis.

I don't understand what a slew ring is or what it is supposed to do.

1. What is torque and how is it measured?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is measured in units of newton-meters (N*m) or pound-feet (lb*ft).

2. How is the torque required to rotate an object at an angle calculated?

The torque required to rotate an object at an angle can be calculated using the formula: torque = force x distance, where force is the perpendicular force applied to the object and distance is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

3. Does the angle at which the force is applied affect the torque required?

Yes, the angle at which the force is applied does affect the torque required. The torque required is directly proportional to the sine of the angle between the force and the lever arm (distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied).

4. What factors can affect the torque required to rotate an object at an angle?

The torque required to rotate an object at an angle can be affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and the angle at which the force is applied.

5. How can torque be increased or decreased?

Torque can be increased by increasing the force applied or by increasing the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. It can be decreased by decreasing the force applied or by decreasing the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.