The USA's foreign Policy (or the unacceptable face of capatilism)

• News
  • Thread starter Art
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of the USA's foreign policy in global affairs and the potential consequences of its actions. One person defends the USA, claiming that without them, the world might be under the control of communism. The other person presents a list of examples of US intervention and support for dictatorships and terrorist regimes, challenging the first person's argument. The conversation also touches on the topic of assassination attempts against foreign leaders, with both sides providing examples.
alexandra said:
Evo, this is what Pengwuino wrote: Pengwuino was responding to Art, and my interpretation of the above was that Pengwuino was implying that Art (the author of the list) is not 'remotely familiar with history' and also that Art is 'ignorant' and capable of being 'fooled' (since he is the one who posted the list). I interpreted that as a personal attack on Art in the implications it was making and it would have been preferable if Pengwuino had actually addressed the items on the list and provided an argument to dispel what Art was writing (this is what I've been urging Pengwuino to do - provide evidence for his arguments).

It goes against my principles to falsely accuse anyone of anything as I have a very strong sense of fairness and social justice.

Talking of fairness I've just received a warning from Evo for my reply to Penguino. I have responded to Evo pointing out neither of the two dictionary definitions of the word Ignorant a) lacking knowledge b) uninformed about a fact or subject, to my mind constitute a personal attack simply an opinion. Thus I took no offence from Penqwuino's post and presume he took none from mine

Physics news on Phys.org
Mudslinging isn't allowed and people will appropriately be warned. A warning is to let you know that you need to stop a certain behavior.

I've now been exculpated :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yonoz said:
That is a legal matter and I am not familiar with US laws. Corruption, however, is everywhere and I do not think any other nation has done any better in that sense, with the exception of some European countries. I still maintain the administrative and military mechanisms involved in the process of initiating a war would not allow for such interests to prevail. You can argue that about politicians, but someone who has served in the armed forces would certainly have a sense of duty and responsibility to his compatriots and especially those under his responsibility. I cannot see someone who fought in several conflicts send others to an unnecessary war for his own personal gain. Maybe I'm naive in that sense, but I think I have a little more personal experience with that type of life.

I don't doubt that most of the military personel think they are doing good thinks and they are fighting for fredom and bla bla bla. but are politicians the ones who start wars, and all the military personel has to do what politician tell them, right or wrong. they have to obey...

IMHO that was not a matter of a company trying to gain a financially lucrative contract, but one of a national interest in the form of a critical resource. The impact of an oil shortage would be felt by everyone, not just the oil tycoons. These governments are trying to preserve the quality of life for their citizens. It is very similar to the Suez Canal conflict in 1956.

And who gives the rigth to US and england to overtrown goverments becouse they want to nationalize a british oil company? and what about irani people gettin access to their OWN Oil... if america needs oil then they must find someone to bought it from... but if they don't like the price, they just can't invade the country or overtrown the goverment.. off course. .killing people in the middle and training the puppet government military to suppress future disidents...
America need for oil is constantly increasing and oil reserves are constantly decreasing... should we expect more and more wars becouse US is "trying to preserve the quality of life for their citizens."?

For example in argentina we recently had an "Energetic Crisis", oil pricess rised becouse there wasn't enought oil... but oil companys keep exporting the same amount of oil that we consume... shall we pay the price for US oil shortage?. or maybe our government shall drop some bombs in america becouse it is trying to preserve the quality of life for their citizens...

Still, you haven't shown any proof that was the reason for the US and British intervention. (Military contracts from iran puppet government to Us defence corporations)
No. maybe not the main reason but consecuence are there..

As I mentioned before, in the case of oil, not unlike that of maritime shipping lines, there is a national interest. Once a particular event adversely affects all citizens in that country I think it's legitimate for the government to intervene to preserve the interest of its citizens.

So suppose tomorrow eeuu decides no to sell oil to argentina.. is ok to my government to evertrown USA government and start a war with USA?

Burnsys post goes to the heart of the matter. How far is any country morally justified to go in pursuit of it's own interests?

Remember too America is not a country devoid of oil resources itself. It has large proven reserves in it's own territories which for strategic reasons it prefers to leave in the ground whilst demanding cheap oil from the middle east. 55% of the USA's oil is imported.

Of the 90 countries with proven oil reserves America lies 16th with 22.45 billion barrels. (source CIA world fact book 2002)

America's consumption of oil is the highest in the world at 20 million barrels a day, Japan who are second consume just 5.4 million

Last edited by a moderator: