The use of diode in this circuit....

In summary: BJT is in saturation.But for the negative voltage larger than 5V the base-emitter junction is in reverse biased and current will flow through it, but no current will flow through collector.
brainbaby
please help me guys

My inference to above circuit...
The negative cycle of the output signal from the driver is entirely clipped off before getting to switching transistor..this however don't have any effect on output because the transistor won't conduct for negative cycles but when due to any circumstance the reverse bias voltage on the base of the transistor increases the excess current would flow from emitter to base and then to ground via the diode thus protecting the transistor...am i right..?

Does this circuit always sink current...?
What would be the output when the diode is not present..?
In order to make this circuit source current do i require a negative supply..?

Attachments

• power switching driver.png
    power switching driver.png
    3 KB · Views: 503
Engineering news on Phys.org
brainbaby said:
but when due to any circumstance the reverse bias voltage on the base of the transistor increases the excess current would flow from emitter to base and then to ground via the diode thus protecting the transistor...am i right..?
You are right.

The purpose of the diode is to protect the emitter-base junction from "reverse overvoltage".

Absolute maximum VEB = 7V

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/2466/MOSPEC/2N3055.html

But the current will go to VEE ( negative power-supply, not shown ).

Likes brainbaby
For this circuit the voltage at base cannot be lower than -0.7V because the diode do not allow to this to happen.
brainbaby said:
please help me guys
the reverse bias voltage on the base of the transistor increases the excess current would flow from emitter to base and then to ground via the diode thus protecting the transistor...am i right..?
No wrong. For negative driver voltage larger than -0.7V the diode will start to conduct a current. And this current will flow from GND through diode--->1kΩ resistor---> driver output--->Vee---->GND.
brainbaby said:
For the positive voltage BJT is in saturation.
But for the negative voltage larger than 5V the base-emitter junction is in reverse biased and current will flow through it, but no current will flow through collector.

brainbaby said:
Which part of a circuit?

Last edited:
Likes brainbaby
brainbaby said:
As seen from the load: Yes.
brainbaby said:
I assume the output is a squarewave. If you remove the diode, you will have to supply the op-amp by VCC and ground, thereby making the upper corners in the squarewave more soft: instead of .
brainbaby said:
It requires something like a complementary output stage.

Likes brainbaby
Hesch said:
brainbaby said:
but when due to any circumstance the reverse bias voltage on the base of the transistor increases the excess current would flow from emitter to base and then to ground via the diode thus protecting the transistor...am i right..?
You are right.
Are you sure about this ? How can a current flow from base to ground via forward biased diode for negative voltage at the driver?

Jony130 said:
But for the negative voltage larger than 5V the base-emitter junction is in reverse biased

But the base emitter junction could be reversed bias for any bias voltage larger than -0.7V..so why you said that it should be more than -5V in order to reverse bias it..
Are you taking about maximum reverse breakdown voltage...provided by the driver ( in extreme cases) ??

Jony130 said:
For this circuit the voltage at base cannot be lower than -0.7V because the diode do not allow to this to happen.
Also as you said that the voltage at the base cannot be greater that -0.7 V ...then how can the voltage be -5V..??

Hesch said:
You are right.
The purpose of the diode is to protect the emitter-base junction from "reverse overvoltage".
But i don't think so that the emitter-base junction would go into reverse overvoltage ..since the diode won't let it do ..as Jony 130 said..

brainbaby said:
But i don't think so that the emitter-base junction would go into reverse overvoltage ..since the diode won't let it do
Hesch said:
But the current will go to VEE ( negative power-supply, not shown ).
Say that the diode is removed and that the opamp is supplied by ±12V ( Vcc/Vee ), then the opamp could pull down the base of the transistor to say -11V while the emitter voltage is 0V ( ground ).

It would be quite normal to supply the circuit by these voltages.

That's why I think your assumption is correct in #1.

Likes brainbaby
brainbaby said:
But the base emitter junction could be reversed bias for any bias voltage larger than -0.7V..so why you said that it should be more than -5V in order to reverse bias it..
Are you taking about maximum reverse breakdown voltage...provided by the driver ( in extreme cases) ??
brainbaby said:
Also as you said that the voltage at the base cannot be greater that -0.7 V ...then how can the voltage be -5V..??
LOL
First you ask :

And my answer is :
For the positive voltage at the driver output BJT is in saturation, so base voltage is 0.7V and Vce is = 0.2V.
For the negative voltage at the driver output, voltage larger than -5V can breakdown transistor base-emitter junction, so the base-emitter is in reverse biased and if driver voltage is larger than -5V the b-e junction breaksdown and current will start flow through it, but no current will flow through collector. So Vce = Vcc.

brainbaby said:
base cannot be greater that -0.7 V
Actually i am sorry for the typo in post 7...instead it should be "cannot be less than"...after that now my confusion is solved..(self perpetuating vortex)...since the diode strictly hold that voltage to -0.7V...

So when the diode is present all of the current which flows across the b-e junction(earlier in diode's absence) now flows through diode as the reverse bias ain't increases to larger levels (-5V)..hence the junction gets protected from breakdown ...am i right?

Simple please notice that in this circuit we have two diodes connected in parallel but with their polarities reversed (anti-parallel connection). And as you should know from the basics that if we have two component connected in parallel with each other there will be the same voltage drop across them.
So when one of a diode is in forward biased the other diode will see the "forward" voltage of the conducting diode.

Likes brainbaby

1. What is the purpose of using a diode in this circuit?

The diode is used to control the direction of current flow in a circuit. It acts as a one-way valve, allowing current to flow in only one direction. This is useful for protecting sensitive components from reverse voltage and for converting alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC).

2. How does a diode work in this circuit?

A diode is made up of a semiconductor material with two terminals, an anode and a cathode. When a positive voltage is applied to the anode and a negative voltage to the cathode, the diode will conduct electricity. However, when the polarity is reversed, the diode will block the flow of current. This allows the diode to act as a switch, controlling the flow of electricity in the circuit.

3. Can any type of diode be used in this circuit?

The type of diode used in a circuit depends on its specific function. For example, a Schottky diode is ideal for high-speed switching applications, while a Zener diode is used for voltage regulation. It is important to choose the right type of diode for the specific circuit and its intended purpose.

4. What are the potential benefits of using a diode in this circuit?

The use of a diode in a circuit can provide several benefits. It can protect sensitive components from damage due to reverse voltage, prevent current from flowing in the wrong direction, and convert alternating current to direct current. Diodes also have low power consumption and are relatively inexpensive, making them a cost-effective solution for many electronic circuits.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a diode in this circuit?

One potential drawback of using a diode in a circuit is the voltage drop that occurs when current flows through it. This means that the output voltage will be slightly lower than the input voltage. Additionally, diodes have a maximum current rating and can overheat if too much current is passed through them. It is important to choose a diode with the appropriate voltage and current ratings for the circuit to avoid these issues.