The validity of the interconnection of ideal sources

In summary: They produce whatever voltage is necessary to make the specified current flow. However no current has been specified.
marsupial

Homework Statement

Sorry in advance for such a basic question, just starting my first electrical engineering course. The question asks if the interconnection of ideal sources is valid.

The next part of the question asks us to verify that the total power developed in the circuit equals the total power absorbed.

The diagram given is, from the left going clockwise: a -30V ideal voltage source, +10V ideal voltage source, -8V ideal current source.

edit: image added as requested:

eGkEev
https://ibb.co/eGkEev
eGkEev

Homework Equations

p = vi

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I gave the sign of each voltage above in lieu of a diagram (negative sign a voltage rise, positive a voltage drop). The 30V and 8V source are developing power, the 10V consuming it. I am not sure how this is a valid circuit given that we have -38V + 10V -> According to KVL shouldn't that equal zero?

However, it confuses me as to how this could be valid. According to the answer to a similar question, a circuit is valid when the voltage sources can carry the Amp of current supplied, and the current source can carry the voltage drop required by the interconnection. I don't understand how to calculate whether this is true of a circuit. In the similar question I referenced, which was valid, you first had one 50V source, then a 10V and 40V source, so I suppose you could equate 50 and 40+10 (there was also a 5A source) (the directions in at question were -50, -10, +40, so I wasn't adding them up, just trying to work out why it was considered valid (and I don't know if that is how you go about it anyway).

Regarding power absorbed, we are not given the current, so I am unsure how to proceed there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you just show us the circuit diagram ?

Nidum said:
Can you just show us the circuit diagram ?
I added a link to the diagram. It's not very clear, sorry, best I could do.

circuit.png

That's the best that the image enhancer could do . It's good enough to see what the problem is about anyway .

Hint: What kind of source is the one marked "8V" ?

CWatters said:
Hint: What kind of source is the one marked "8V" ?
It's an ideal current source, but I'm not sure how that helps.

marsupial said:
It's an ideal current source,
Yes, and how is it lebelled? What is the unit of current?

cnh1995 said:
Yes, and how is it lebelled? What is the unit of current?
It's labelled in volts. So 8V goes into the 10V source.

marsupial said:
It's labelled in volts. So 8V goes into the 10V source.
That dosn't make sense. How can 8V go into 10V source? It should be 8A. Current sources provide constant current.
It is either a typo or they did it intentionally and want you to spot it.

cnh1995 said:
That dosn't make sense. How can 8V go into 10V source? It should be 8A. Current sources provide constant current.
It is either a typo or they did it intentionally and want you to spot it.
That's what I thought (that they provide constant current), but they also supply some voltage too don't they? That's why it was confusing.Okay, so assuming it is a typo, how can 30V go into a 10V source?

marsupial said:
how can 30V go into a 10V source?
The two voltage sources are in series. I don't understand what you mean by "go into" 10V source.

cnh1995 said:
The two voltage sources are in series. I don't understand what you mean by "go into" 10V source.
Sorry, I just thought we started from the left. So do we start from the ideal current source and go round the circuit in that direction? In which case the 10V is developing power and the 30V absorbing it. And to make it balance the 8A current would have to develop 20V.

marsupial said:
Sorry, I just thought we started from the left. So do we start from the ideal current source and go round the circuit in that direction? In which case the 10V is developing power and the 30V absorbing it. And to make it balance the 8A current would have to develop 20V.
You can start from anywhere, it doesn't matter. I think what you want to find is who is supplying power and who is absorbing power.
marsupial said:
In which case the 10V is developing power and the 30V absorbing it. And to make it balance the 8A current would have to develop 20V.
Yes. So what is the 8A source doing? Supplying or absorbing?

Last edited:
Likes marsupial
marsupial said:
That's what I thought (that they provide constant current), but they also supply some voltage too don't they?

They produce whatever voltage is necessary to make the specified current flow. However no current has been specified. Specifying a voltage 8V is nonsense so the circuit has an error or is invalid. As a result further analysis of the circuit is rather pointless.

Likes marsupial
cnh1995 said:
You can start from anywhere, it doesn't matter. I think what you want to find is who is supplying power and who is absorbing power.

Yes. So what is the 8A source doing? Supplying or absorbing?
It would be supplying power. Thank you so much for your help, it makes sense now.

Likes cnh1995
CWatters said:
They produce whatever voltage is necessary to make the specified current flow. However no current has been specified. Specifying a voltage 8V is nonsense so the circuit has an error or is invalid. As a result further analysis of the circuit is rather pointless.
Thank you. I think given the rest of the question it was an error. Going through it helped clear up some of my misconceptions and helped with my general understanding though, so I am grateful for the responses. I really appreciate this forum!

marsupial said:
It would be supplying power. Thank you so much for your help, it makes sense now.
You're welcome!

What is the concept of ideal sources?

Ideal sources refer to theoretical, simplified models of real-world sources that are used in scientific and engineering calculations. These sources are assumed to provide a constant and ideal output, without any internal resistance or limitations.

Why is the interconnection of ideal sources important?

The interconnection of ideal sources is important because it allows scientists and engineers to model and analyze complex systems, such as electrical circuits, in a simplified and efficient manner. It also helps in understanding the behavior of individual components within a larger system.

Is the interconnection of ideal sources valid in real-world scenarios?

No, the interconnection of ideal sources is a theoretical concept and does not accurately represent real-world scenarios. In real-world systems, sources have internal resistance and limitations, and the interconnection may not behave as predicted by ideal models.

What are the limitations of using ideal sources in scientific calculations?

One of the main limitations of using ideal sources is that they do not accurately represent real-world scenarios. Additionally, they do not take into account factors such as temperature, aging, and other external influences that can affect the behavior of real sources. Therefore, the results obtained from calculations using ideal sources may not always be applicable in real-world situations.

Can the concept of ideal sources be applied to other fields of science?

Yes, the concept of ideal sources can be applied to other fields of science, such as fluid dynamics, where ideal sources are used to model the flow of fluids in a simplified manner. However, it is important to note that the assumptions and limitations of using ideal sources may vary depending on the specific field of study.