The value of electric current on a sinking conductor

In summary, the problem involves a flat capacitor with two square plates of side 0.3 m and a distance of 2 mm apart, with a voltage of 250 V from a source. The capacitor is immersed in kerosene, with a relative permittivity of 2, at a velocity of 5 mm/s. The current between the plates and the source is calculated using the equation I=Q/t and the capacity equation for an immersed conductor. The time (t) does not need to be computed as it cancels out in the final calculation for current.
darkprior

Homework Statement

A flat capacitor formed by two square plates of side 0.3 m which are 2 mm apart. Source keeps voltage 250 V on the plates. What current flows between the plates and the source if the condenser is immersing in kerosene at velocity of 5 mm / s? The relative permittivity of kerosene is 2.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a pic
7TQE70j.png

I=Q/t

Because of the fact that immersing cunductor can be understood as two parallel conductors the capacity of an immersed conductor (the depth x = v*t) is C =(ε0*(a-x)*a)/d + (ε0εr*a*x)/d

My question is how do I compute the time in the x = v*t? And sorry for my english.

Physics news on Phys.org
The simple answer is you don't. Just assume you know it and hope it cancels out in the end.

vela said:
The simple answer is you don't. Just assume you know it and hope it cancels out in the end.
But it doesn't cancel in the end because of the plus and minus in the equation

What equation? Remember your ultimate goal is to find the current.

vela said:
What equation? Remember your ultimate goal is to find the current.
I think I get it now...

I put the "v*t" instead the "x" in the equation for capacity, multiply it by the voltage (U) and then derivate it following I=dQ/dt

Or am I wrong?

Anyways thank you for your clear explanation, it helped me a lot

Last edited:
That's right. Or you could just leave it as ##x##, and when you differentiate with respect to time, you'll get ##v## in its place.

Related to The value of electric current on a sinking conductor

What is the value of electric current on a sinking conductor?

The value of electric current on a sinking conductor is determined by the amount of charge flowing through the conductor per unit time. It is measured in amperes (A).

How does the value of electric current affect a sinking conductor?

The value of electric current on a sinking conductor can have a significant impact on its behavior and performance. If the current is too high, it can cause overheating and damage to the conductor. If it is too low, the conductor may not function properly.

What factors influence the value of electric current on a sinking conductor?

The value of electric current on a sinking conductor is influenced by several factors, including the voltage applied to the conductor, the resistance of the conductor, and the material and size of the conductor.

How can the value of electric current on a sinking conductor be controlled?

The value of electric current on a sinking conductor can be controlled by adjusting the voltage, using resistors to regulate the current, or changing the material or size of the conductor to alter its resistance.

Why is understanding the value of electric current on a sinking conductor important?

Understanding the value of electric current on a sinking conductor is crucial in designing and maintaining electrical systems. It helps ensure the safety and efficiency of the system and can prevent damage or failure of the conductor.