The velocity of a movable block that is penetrated by an arrow

In summary: To get 0.711 m/s you must be using the 0.086mm as the distance traveled "after impact", but that is the distance the block moves from the first contact between the arrow and the block, not the distance the arrow travels before impact.
PrincessPeach
Homework Statement
an arrow of mass 50g is fired horizontally from short range into a target consisting of a slap of expanded polystyrene glued between two blocks of wood. The mass of the target is 4 kg. The arrow remains embedded in the polystyrene, and the whole assembly slides a distance of 86mm along the steel table on which the target is resting. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the wood and the table is 0.3. Afterwards, it is determined that the arrow penetrated the polystyrene by 56mm.

Determine the velocity of the target immediately after impact. (Answer should be 1.03m/s)
Determine The velocity of the arrow immediately before striking the target. (Answer should be 83.43 m/s)
Relevant Equations
Momentum, Friction, and Energy
Problem Image.jpg
This problem is in a chapter on momentum in the book basic engineering mechanics explained.

Help me Mario

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

According to the homework guidelines you have to post your best attempt at solving this problem yourself.

I apologize.

I tried to solve by using the conservation of energy where I had the kinetic energy of the arrow before impact equal the work required to penetrate the arrow (F . x1) & move the block (F . x2).

Then I tried to arrange the expression and solve the velocity of the arrow although I did not get the correct answer.
IMG_1130.jpg

PrincessPeach said:
I tried to solve by using the conservation of energy
Why do you think energy is conserved?

PeroK said:
Why do you think energy is conserved?

I assumed that the kinetic energy from the arrow would be used to penetrate the block and move the block.

I saw a similar method performed in a similar question in the link below (Hint 3 - Eqn (3)).

https://physicstasks.eu/1994/bullet

• Wow
Likes PeroK
PrincessPeach said:
I assumed that the kinetic energy from the arrow would be used to penetrate the block and move the block.

I saw a similar method performed in a similar question in the link below (Hint 3 - Eqn (3)).

https://physicstasks.eu/1994/bullet
Perhaps you should give up on that site. This is what's called a totally inelastic collision, where kinetic energy is not conserved. Momentum, on the other hand, is conserved.

Okay, thank you for the insight.

I'm not sure as to how to use momentum to solve the problem when the velocity of the arrow or the target is not given in the question tbh.

PrincessPeach said:
Okay, thank you for the insight.

I'm not sure as to how to use momentum to solve the problem when the velocity of the arrow or the target is not given in the question tbh.
You have to work out the velocity of the block after the collision from the other information.

PeroK said:
You have to work out the velocity of the block after the collision from the other information.
I've tried to use Newton's second law to determine the deceleration generated by the resisting friction force.

Then using kinematic equations to solve for the initial velocity - 0.711m/s2.

Would you have another in mind?

IMG_1132.jpg

Likes bob012345 and PeroK
Has anyone been able to match the book answer of 1.03 m/s? I used the Work-Energy Theorem and also got 0.711 m/s.

Last edited:
Likes PrincessPeach
That looks like a good start. Now, can you use conservation of momentum to get the velocity of the arrow before the collision?

See below. Your answer is correct and the book is wrong.

Last edited:
Likes PrincessPeach and bob012345
PS The book answer looks wrong to me. Note first, that the mass of the system is irrelevant:
$$F_f = \mu Mg \ \Rightarrow \ a = -\frac {F_f}{M} = -\mu g = -0.3 \times 9.8 m/s^2 = -2.94 m/s^2$$Now, suppose the book answer is correct and the initial velocity of the block is about ##1m/s##. The motion will last about ##0.34s##, at an average speed of ##0.5m/s##, which gives a distance of about ##0.17m##.

My conclusion is that whoever did the book solution did the following erroneous calculation:
$$v = 2\sqrt{as}$$You might need a new book as well!

Likes PrincessPeach and bob012345
PeroK said:
That looks like a good start. Now, can you use conservation of momentum to get the velocity of the arrow before the collision?

See below. Your answer is correct and the book is wrong.
I have used momentum to determine the velocity of the arrow to be 57.6m/s.

Thank you for the help.

Likes bob012345 and PeroK
PrincessPeach said:
I have used momentum to determine the velocity of the arrow to be 57.6m/s.

Thank you for the help.
That's what I get!

Likes PrincessPeach
PrincessPeach said:
the kinetic energy of the arrow before impact equal the work required to penetrate the arrow (F . x1) & move the block (F . x2).
That would work, but you do not know what work was required to penetrate the block. In your first attempt, you seem to have assumed the force resisting penetration is the same as the frictional force from the table. Clearly that is not the case since we could make that frictional force infinite and still have the arrow penetrate the block.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
PS The book answer looks wrong to me. Note first, that the mass of the system is irrelevant:
$$F_f = \mu Mg \ \Rightarrow \ a = -\frac {F_f}{M} = -\mu g = -0.3 \times 9.8 m/s^2 = -2.94 m/s^2$$Now, suppose the book answer is correct and the initial velocity of the block is about ##1m/s##. The motion will last about ##0.34s##, at an average speed of ##0.5m/s##, which gives a distance of about ##0.17m##.

My conclusion is that whoever did the book solution did the following erroneous calculation:
$$v = 2\sqrt{as}$$You might need a new book as well!
A difficulty is how to interpret "the velocity of the target immediately after impact".
To get 0.711 m/s you must be using the 0.086mm as the distance traveled "after impact", but that is the distance the block moves from the first contact between the arrow and the block. If that is what "after impact" means then the velocity of the block at that time is zero. It is not going to immediately take off at max speed, yet the arrow continues to penetrate it for a while.

That said, I have not found a way to get the book answer.

Edit:
During the penetration phase, let subscripts A, B denote the arrow and block respectively. If the force required to push the arrow into a fixed block is F then I get the power equation
##m_Av_A\dot v_A+m_Bv_B\dot v_B=F(v_B-v_A)##
And the momentum equation
##m_Av_A+m_Bv_B=m_Au##
where u is the initial speed of the arrow.
From these I get an ODE of the form
##yy'+ay+by'+c=0##.
And there I am stuck.

PeroK said:
Perhaps you should give up on that site.
For the problem addressed there, the energy method is appropriate.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
A difficulty is how to interpret "the velocity of the target immediately after impact".
To get 0.711 m/s you must be using the 0.086mm as the distance traveled "after impact", but that is the distance the block moves from the first contact between the arrow and the block. If that is what "after impact" means then the velocity of the block at that time is zero. It is not going to immediately take off at max speed, yet the arrow continues to penetrate it for a while.
If the block moves before we consider the collision ended, then the remaining distance is less than ##86mm## and the initial velocity must be less than the ##0.711m/s##. It can't be greater.

Moreover, if we assume that the arrow has an initial speed of at least ##50m/s##, the its average speed during the collision will be about ##25m/s##, and it will only take about ##0.002s## to travel ##50mm##. Meanwhile, the accelerating block will travel only about ##1mm## in that time.

That rough calculation shows that the collision is effectively instantaneous.

What is the velocity of the movable block?

The velocity of the movable block is the speed at which it is moving in a specific direction. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

How is the velocity of the movable block affected by the arrow?

The velocity of the movable block is affected by the arrow when it is penetrated. The arrow transfers its momentum to the block, causing it to accelerate and change its velocity.

What factors can influence the velocity of the movable block?

The velocity of the movable block can be influenced by several factors, including the mass of the arrow, the speed at which the arrow is shot, the angle at which it enters the block, and the material and shape of the block.

Is there a maximum velocity that the movable block can reach?

Yes, there is a maximum velocity that the movable block can reach. This is determined by the amount of force applied by the arrow and the resistance of the block's material. Once the block reaches this maximum velocity, it will continue to move at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

How can the velocity of the movable block be calculated?

The velocity of the movable block can be calculated using the equation v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance the block has traveled, and t is the time it took to travel that distance. This equation assumes that the block is moving at a constant velocity.