The Von Mises stress equation on wikipedia does not balance out

FQVBSina
TL;DR Summary
The Von Mises stress relationship on Wikipedia shows an expanded expression using components is equal to 3/2*s_ij*s_ij but this is not possible.
On Wikipedia for Von Mises stress, it shows the following equation:

1706216828219.png

But this does not work out. If I expand the second term I get:

$$ \sigma_v^2 = 1/2[(\sigma_{11}^2-2\sigma_{11}\sigma_{22}+\sigma_{22}^2+\sigma_{22}^2-2\sigma_{22}\sigma_{33}+\sigma_{33}^2+\sigma_{33}^2-2\sigma_{33}\sigma_{11}+\sigma_{11}^2)+6(\sigma_{12}^2+\sigma_{13}^2+\sigma_{23}^2)] $$

$$ \sigma_v^2 = 1/2(2\sigma_{11}^2 + 2\sigma_{22}^2+2\sigma_{33}^2-2\sigma_{11}\sigma_{22}-2\sigma_{22}\sigma_{33}-2\sigma_{33}\sigma_{11}+6\sigma_{12}^2+6\sigma_{13}^2+6\sigma_{23}^2) $$

$$ \sigma_v^2 = \sigma_{11}^2 + \sigma_{22}^2+\sigma_{33}^2-\sigma_{11}\sigma_{22}-\sigma_{22}\sigma_{33}-\sigma_{33}\sigma_{11}+3\sigma_{12}^2+3\sigma_{13}^2+3\sigma_{23}^2 $$

And I don't see how this can be equal to the third term, when expanded equals to:

$$ 3/2s_{ij}s_{ij} = 3/2(\sigma_{11}^2+\sigma_{22}^2+\sigma_{33}^2+\sigma_{12}^2+\sigma_{13}^2+\sigma_{23}^2) $$

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not in a good place to look at this, but I believe s is deviatoric stress.

Frabjous said:
Not in a good place to look at this, but I believe s is deviatoric stress.
You are correct! But then, what is the definition of the following?

$$SVM = sqrt(3/2*\sigma_{ij}*\sigma_{ij})$$

sigma is stress. Previously I thought Svm is Von Mises Stress, but now it might be deviatoric stress, s. Then I am not sure what SVM defined as such is supposed to be.

sijij-(σkk/3)δij
Both s and σ appear in the equation

1. What is the Von Mises stress equation?

The Von Mises stress equation is a formula used in engineering and materials science to predict the yield of materials under complex loading conditions. It is derived from the distortion energy theory and is used to compare an equivalent or effective stress to the material's yield stress. The equation is generally represented as σv = √(σ1² - σ1σ2 + σ2² - σ2σ3 + σ3² - σ3σ1 + 3(τ12² + τ23² + τ31²)), where σ1, σ2, σ3 are the principal stresses and τ12, τ23, τ31 are the shear stresses.

2. Why does the Von Mises stress equation appear not to balance out?

Concerns about the Von Mises stress equation not balancing out often arise from typographical errors, misinterpretations, or simplifications in the formula as presented in various sources, including Wikipedia. The equation itself is theoretically sound and derived from well-established principles in continuum mechanics. If the equation seems not to balance, it is recommended to check the source and ensure that the equation is written and applied correctly.

3. How is the Von Mises stress used in practical applications?

In practical applications, the Von Mises stress is used to assess the safety of components subjected to multiaxial loading conditions. It helps in determining whether a given material will yield or fail under a specific set of loads. This is particularly useful in the fields of mechanical engineering, aerospace, and civil engineering, where materials are often subjected to complex stress states.

4. What are the limitations of the Von Mises stress equation?

The main limitation of the Von Mises stress equation is that it does not account for hydrostatic pressures and is therefore not suitable for predicting failures in materials where pressure is a significant factor, such as in brittle materials. It is primarily applicable to ductile materials and may not accurately predict failure modes that are not yield-related, such as fatigue or buckling.

5. How can one verify the accuracy of the Von Mises stress equation?

To verify the accuracy of the Von Mises stress equation, one can compare its predictions with experimental data or use finite element analysis (FEA) software, which can simulate real-world conditions and provide a detailed stress analysis. Additionally, reviewing case studies and engineering research that validate the equation under various conditions can also help in assessing its reliability and applicability.