Solving a Sequencing Problem: Allocating Cost Savings

In summary: What is the meaning of EGS? 4) The summary of the conversation is that the speaker is asking for help with a sequencing problem with 3 players and 6 jobs. They have provided the processing times of the jobs and the set of jobs for each player. They mention calculating the alpha values and the optimal order, but it is unclear what these are for. Finally, they ask if their calculation for EGS is correct.
Cyn
<Moderator's note: LaTeX code edited.>

1. Homework Statement

Hi, I have a question.
I have a sequencing problem ##(N, \sigma_{0}##, ##\{p_{j}\}_{j\in J}, \{c_{i}\}_{i\in N})## with ##N = \{1,2,3\}## the set of players, and ##J = \{A,B,C,D,E,F\}## the set of jobs. The processing times of the jobs are:
$$p_{A} =8\\
p_{B} =10 \\
p_{C} = 15\\
p_{D} = 5 \\
p_{E}=6\\
p_{F}= 12$$
De set jobs van de spelers, ##J(i)##, zijn:
$$J(1) = \{B,E\}, J(2) = \{A,D\}, J(3) =\{C,F\},$$
##c_{1}(\sigma) = 7min\{C_{B}(\sigma),C_{E}(\sigma)\}##,
##c_{2}(\sigma) = 4min\{C_{A}(\sigma),C_{D}(\sigma)\}##,
##c_{3}(\sigma) = 12min\{C_{C}(\sigma),C_{F} (\sigma)\}##,
##\sigma_{0} = (A B C D E F).##

Homework Equations

What is the allocation of the cost savings?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the $\alpha$'s and the optimal order begins with (EFD). Now I want to calculate an allocation of the cost savings.
I have said that my new order becomes ##(EFDCBA)##. So ##MP(\sigma_{0})=\{(A,B), (A,C), (A,D), (A,E), (A,F), (B,C), (B,D), (B,E), (B,F), (C,D), (C,E), (C,F), (D, E), (D,F)\}##
Then, I have calcultated ##g_{ij}. (g_{ij} = \alpha_{j}p_{i}-\alpha_{i}p_{j}).##

##g_{AB} = 16;
g_{AE} = 32;
g_{BC} = 15;
g_{BD} = 5;
g_{BE} = 28;
g_{BF} = 36;
g_{CE} = 33;
g_{DE} = 11##
If we use EGS, is it correct that ##EGS_{1}= 102##?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cyn said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I have a question.
I have a sequencing problem (N, $\sigma_{0}$, $\{p_{j}\}_{j\in J}, \{c_{i}\}_{i\in N}$) with N = \{1,2,3\} the set of players, and J = \{A,B,C,D,E,F\} the set of jobs. The processing times of the jobs are:
$$p_{A} =8\\
p_{B} =10 \\
p_{C} = 15\\
p_{D} = 5 \\
p_{E}=6\\
p_{F}= 12$$
De set jobs van de spelers, $J(i)$, zijn:
$$J(1) = \{B,E\}, J(2) = \{A,D\}, J(3) =\{C,F\},$$
$c_{1}(\sigma) = 7min\{C_{B}(\sigma),C_{E}(\sigma)\}$,
$c_{2}(\sigma) = 4min\{C_{A}(\sigma),C_{D}(\sigma)\}$,
$c_{3}(\sigma) = 12min\{C_{C}(\sigma),C_{F} (\sigma)\}$,
$\sigma_{0}$ = (A B C D E F).

Homework Equations

What is the allocation of the cost savings?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the $\alpha$'s and the optimal order begins with (EFD). Now I want to calculate an allocation of the cost savings.
I have said that my new order becomes (EFDCBA). So MP($\sigma_{0}$)={(A,B), (A,C), (A,D), (A,E), (A,F), (B,C), (B,D), (B,E), (B,F), (C,D), (C,E), (C,F), (D, E), (D,F)}
Then, I have calcultated $g_{ij}$. ($g_{ij} = \alpha_{j}p_{i}-\alpha_{i}p_{j}$).

$g_{AB} = 16;
g_{AE} = 32;
g_{BC} = 15;
g_{BD} = 5;
g_{BE} = 28;
g_{BF} = 36;
g_{CE} = 33;
g_{DE} = 11$
If we use EGS, is it correct that $EGS_{1}= 102?
Your problem statement is very difficult to understand.
1) One thing that would help a lot would be to use "##" instead of "$" to delimit your LaTeX notation. Then it would display correctly.
2) Please give definitions of the variables. What do p, c, g, σ and α represent?
3) You give as your goal that you want to allocate cost savings, but you have not clearly defined your objective in mathematical terms. Cost savings relative to what? What are you optimizing?

What is a sequencing problem?

A sequencing problem is a type of optimization problem that involves arranging a set of items in a specific order to achieve a certain objective. This can include minimizing costs, maximizing efficiency, or finding the shortest path.

How can cost savings be allocated in a sequencing problem?

Cost savings can be allocated in a sequencing problem by prioritizing the items that will result in the greatest cost reduction and arranging them in an optimal order. This can involve analyzing data and using algorithms to determine the most efficient sequence.

What factors should be considered when solving a sequencing problem?

Some factors that should be considered when solving a sequencing problem include the number of items, the cost associated with each item, the desired outcome or objective, and any constraints or limitations. It is important to also consider the potential impact of sequencing on other processes or systems.

What are some common approaches to solving a sequencing problem?

Some common approaches to solving a sequencing problem include using heuristics or algorithms, such as the greedy algorithm or dynamic programming, to find an approximate or optimal solution. Simulation and mathematical modeling can also be used to analyze and solve sequencing problems.

How can technology be used to aid in solving a sequencing problem?

Technology can be used in various ways to aid in solving a sequencing problem. This can include using programming languages and software to develop algorithms, using data analysis tools to identify patterns and optimize sequences, and using simulation software to test different scenarios and evaluate potential solutions.