The way the moon 'behaves', coincidence or 'something more'?

In summary, the moon is tidally locked with Earth, meaning that it only shows one side to us at all times. It also happens to be the perfect size and distance from Earth to create full solar eclipses, making it appear the same size as the sun in the sky. This relationship is not mystical, but rather a result of tidal friction over time. While this may seem like a rare coincidence, it is simply a matter of probability and there is nothing magical about it.
victorhugo
Even though the moon is much smaller than the Sun, the ratios between their distances to Earth is such that they look the same size in the sky. Further, we have a tidally locked moon with life to observe it all.

Now, I'll admit this does raise some superstition in me, especially since religions described the moon as the "Night's Sun" that went over our skies... Nonetheless, this relationship quite amazing.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
victorhugo said:
The moon's orbit around the Earth and it's axis behave such that we only see one side of te moon at all times. Further, even though the moon is much smaller than the Sun, the ratios between their distances to Earth is such that they look the same size in the sky.

Now, I'll admit this does raise some superstition in me, especially since religions described the moon as the "Night's Sun" that went over our skies... Nonetheless, this relationship quite amazing.
The moon is tidally locked. There's nothing even remotely magical or amazing about it.

phinds said:
The moon is tidally locked. There's nothing even remotely magical or amazing about it.
Oh I see, I didn't know that. I read somewhere that it was a "rare coincidence" and didn't bother researching any further.

As for 'they look the same size', this is only approximate.
Depending on the details of where the Earth is in orbit around the Sun, and the Moon around Earth this can vary.
So sometimes it's possible for the Moon to eclipse the Sun, but there is no 'total' eclipse.

Gradually the Moon is becoming more distant from Earth, so in the future this kind of 'annular' eclipse will be the usual case.
Annular_eclipse_-ring_of_fire-.jpg

Last edited:
victorhugo said:
Even though the moon is much smaller than the Sun, the ratios between their distances to Earth is such that they look the same size in the sky.

Eclipses are a phenomenon of present times. In the remote past, the moon was significantly closer to Earth (not that any organisms were present to observe eclipses), and the moon is currently moving away from earth, so that in the distant future, what we call eclipses will not longer occur with the same totality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_distance_(astronomy)

victorhugo said:
Oh I see, I didn't know that. I read somewhere that it was a "rare coincidence" and didn't bother researching any further.
Well, I suppose if a pop-science writer wanted to stretch the concept a bit, it's not too "normal" to have a situation where you have a tidally locked moon AND have that moon the exact right distance to cause full solar eclipses AND have sentient beings around to observe it. As has been pointed out, that has certainly not always been the case here on Earth.

phinds said:
Well, I suppose if a pop-science writer wanted to stretch the concept a bit, it's not too "normal" to have a situation where you have a tidally locked moon AND have that moon the exact right distance to cause full solar eclipses AND have sentient beings around to observe it. As has been pointed out, that has certainly not always been the case here on Earth.
Yes I agree, but I meant that the website just said that the moon's rotation around the Earth and itself was a mystical coincidence. Now I see that basically over time tidal friction caused it to slow down into a synchronous orbit (tidal locking).

There's nothing mystical about co-incidence, (in this case the apparent similar size of the Sun and Moon)

victorhugo said:
...the website just said that the moon's rotation around the Earth and itself was a mystical coincidence.

Well, there's science.

Then there's pop science, wherein there is usually a grain of truth hidden amidst stupidity

Then there's trash science, which is apparently what you stumbled across.

and then there is stuff that is not science at all, but is pure gobbledegook.

98% of regular moons are tidally locked.
58% of regular moons can completely occult the sun.
What is so unusual here?

Likes Imager
Vanadium 50 said:
58% of regular moons can completely occult the sun.
Yeah, but only one fits so nicely. Titan could easily occult the distant sun, but that's because it would completely dominate the sky in comparison, and the further you get out, the easier it is to cover up the sun. I'll bet tiny little Nix out there in the Pluto system can do it.

It's a coincidence that it so nearly fits, it's tidally locked, and that there is life to observe it, AND they both dominate the sky.

newjerseyrunner said:
Yeah, but only one fits so nicely. Titan could easily occult the distant sun, but that's because it would completely dominate the sky in comparison, and the further you get out, the easier it is to cover up the sun. I'll bet tiny little Nix out there in the Pluto system can do it.

It's a coincidence that it so nearly fits, it's tidally locked, and that there is life to observe it, AND they both dominate the sky.
thank you.

newjerseyrunner said:

It depends on what you consider as "nearly fits", The moon's angular size ranges from being nearly 10% smaller to 8% larger than the Sun.
Assuming a constant rate of recession for the Moon, it will be ~800 million years before it recedes far enough that's its greatest angular size will be smaller than the the Sun's least angular size ( assuming no changes in Earth's solar orbit.) and just annular eclipses will be possible. Prior to ~960 million years ago, the Moon was always larger than the Sun. So this gives a range of ~1.76 billion years in which the Moon and Sun could be of exactly the same angular size during an eclipse, out of the 5.3 billion year age of the Earth at the time total eclipses no longer happen. That's 1/3 of that time span.

Likes Vanadium 50

1. Is there a scientific explanation for the moon's behavior?

Yes, there is a scientific explanation for the moon's behavior. The moon's orbit around the Earth is influenced by the Earth's gravity and other celestial bodies, leading to its phases and movements.

2. Are there any patterns or cycles in the moon's behavior?

Yes, there are several patterns and cycles in the moon's behavior. The moon's phases follow a predictable cycle, as well as its orbit around the Earth. Additionally, there are various lunar cycles such as the lunar eclipse cycle and the lunar nodal cycle.

3. Why does the moon appear to change shape?

The moon appears to change shape because of its position relative to the Earth and the sun. As the moon orbits the Earth, different portions of its illuminated surface are visible from Earth, leading to its different phases.

4. Can the moon's behavior affect Earth and its inhabitants?

Yes, the moon's behavior can have significant effects on Earth and its inhabitants. The moon's gravitational pull influences the tides, and its phases can affect animal behavior and human emotions. It also plays a crucial role in stabilizing Earth's tilt and maintaining a stable climate.

5. Is there any evidence of a deeper meaning or significance behind the moon's behavior?

There is no scientific evidence of a deeper meaning or significance behind the moon's behavior. While some cultures may assign spiritual or symbolic meanings to the moon's behavior, it is ultimately a natural phenomenon governed by scientific principles.