The Wiener Khinchin Theorem for chaotic light

In summary: It's a bit more complicated than the Wiener Khinchin theorem, but the basics are the same. In summary, the Wiener Khinchin theorem states that the normalized spectral power density is found from the Fourier transform of the electrical field. The W-K theorem states that the spectral power density is found from the Fourier transform of the wave-packet.
Wminus

Homework Statement

It's problem 4:[/B]
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12004675_10206509414950788_2644752353357758096_n.jpg?oh=e6292fae7cdc34b881c7ac31a506e315&oe=56680268

Homework Equations

The Wiener Khinchin theorem gives that the normalized spectral power density (I assume this is what my professor means with "normalized spectral distribution function") is found from: $$F(\vec{r},\omega) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g^{(1)}(\vec{r},t) e^{i \omega \tau} d \tau$$ where $$g^{(1)}(\vec{r},t) = \frac{<E^*(\vec{r},t)E(\vec{r},t+\tau)>}{<E^*(\vec{r},t)E(\vec{r},t)>}$$.The <> brackets denote taking the mean of the electrical field ##E## over a period ##T##which is much larger than the coherence time.

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem 4:
Hey all. I'm a bit confused by the wording of this problem. What exactly is my professor asking for? The Wiener Khinchin theorem is BASED on using the Fourier transform of the E field to get to the spectral power density... But he is saying now that this Fourier transform and the W-K theorem give different results??

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry was a bit unclear in the OP; the <> brackets denote taking means/autocorrelations of expressions that include the electrical field ##E##.

I think you might understand the issue if you compare the Fourier transform of a plane wave, which is a delta function, with the autocorrelation of a plane wave (i.e. sinc funtion).

Fred Wright said:
I think you might understand the issue if you compare the Fourier transform of a plane wave, which is a delta function, with the autocorrelation of a plane wave (i.e. sinc funtion).
What do you mean? The autocorrelation of a plane wave ## e^{i \omega t}## is another plane wave. $$<E^*(\vec{r},t) E(\vec{r},t+\tau)> = <e^{i \omega \tau}> = e^{i \omega \tau}$$

Dear Wminus,
I appologize for my nonsence. I think that if you consider a plane wave with additive noise, the Fourier transform will contain all the frequency components of the noise but the Fourier transform of the autocorrelation function will not.

Fred Wright said:
Dear Wminus,
I appologize for my nonsence. I think that if you consider a plane wave with additive noise, the Fourier transform will contain all the frequency components of the noise but the Fourier transform of the autocorrelation function will not.

No problem. And yeah I ended up using this kind of argument in my answer. I used the collision broadening of spectral lines as my example.

1. What is the Wiener Khinchin Theorem for chaotic light?

The Wiener Khinchin Theorem is a mathematical theorem that describes the statistical properties of chaotic light, which is light that has random fluctuations in its intensity and phase. It states that the power spectrum of chaotic light can be determined by the autocorrelation function of the light. This theorem is widely used in physics, engineering, and other fields to analyze and understand chaotic systems.

2. How does the Wiener Khinchin Theorem apply to chaotic light?

The Wiener Khinchin Theorem is applicable to any type of chaotic light, including light that is produced by lasers, light that is scattered by rough surfaces, or light that is emitted by stars. It states that the power spectrum of chaotic light can be determined by taking the Fourier transform of the autocorrelation function of the light. This allows scientists to analyze the statistical properties of chaotic light and make predictions about its behavior.

3. What are some practical applications of the Wiener Khinchin Theorem for chaotic light?

The Wiener Khinchin Theorem has a wide range of practical applications in various fields, including optics, telecommunications, astronomy, and signal processing. For example, it is used to analyze the coherence of laser light, to design efficient communication systems, to study the properties of astronomical objects, and to remove noise from signals in electronic devices.

4. Are there any limitations to the Wiener Khinchin Theorem for chaotic light?

Like any mathematical theorem, the Wiener Khinchin Theorem has its limitations. It assumes that the chaotic light is stationary, meaning that its statistical properties do not change over time. In reality, many sources of chaotic light, such as stars, have non-stationary properties, which can make it challenging to apply the theorem accurately. Additionally, the theorem only applies to fully developed chaotic systems, meaning that it may not be suitable for analyzing chaotic light that is in the process of becoming chaotic.

5. How does the Wiener Khinchin Theorem relate to other theorems in physics?

The Wiener Khinchin Theorem is closely related to other mathematical theorems in physics, such as the Central Limit Theorem and the Fourier Transform. It is also related to the theory of random processes and stochastic systems. Many of these theorems and theories are used together to describe and understand the behavior of chaotic systems, including chaotic light. By combining these different approaches, scientists can gain a more comprehensive understanding of the properties of chaotic light and other complex systems.