The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
wolram said:
shall we give a time limit for last correct poster to reply with new WHAT WAS IS IT?
Perhaps you, as thread starter, can post a new one anytime at your discretion, but lowrider has the option of posting one when he thinks of one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I did not know we had to come up with one of our own. But no sweat, here's one, though it is probably pretty simple:

This formula was first developed by the Rocket Chemical Company and was used for the first time by Convair, an aerospace contractor. It first hit the shelves in San Diego for public use in 1958. The name is comprised of what it does and how many tries it took to perfect it. What is it?

WD-40. "WD" stands for "Water Displacement"

Yeah, I knew that was too easy of a question for the likes of these intellects. I wonder if it would have been as popular if it had been called WD39 or WD647?

good idea ZOOBY.

According to legend this extremely important tool was invented in Samos in the 7th century BC. However actual pictoral evidence is not found until it was depicted in an Egytian tomb painting from about 300 BC, in a version that required two people to operate.
(Hint: hieroglyphics at the bottom of the painting have been translated to mean "Chisel sold separately")

minting machine

wolram said:
minting machine
Sorry.

Hint #2: Leonardo da Vinci designed a version that could be operated by one person using a foot treadle.

ah... a turning machine "lathe".

wolram said:
ah... a turning machine "lathe".
Correct.

If the legend of Theodorus of Samos is correct, the lathe has been in existence for 2,700 years, and is still going strong. It is said to be the only machine tool that can be used to produce another of the same: to reproduce itself, so to speak.

Your turn, Wolram.

Last edited:
it weighed 171 pounds, diameter 34 inches, 15 watts power max.

wolram said:
it weighed 171 pounds, diameter 34 inches, 15 watts power max.
Too easy: Telstar.

Maybe I'm out of turn:

This device includes a wooden bow to drive the drill, a shaft for the drill, a removable tube shaped drill bit with a serrated edge, a center pin to guide the drill and a wooden removable cup to protect the user's hand. The purpose this device is used for can be traced to the late stone age. This tool was used to relieve distress caused by variety of disturbances including parasites, pressure, hydrocephaly, and evil spirits. What was it?

i forget the name for this device, but it was used to expose the brain, trapaning
or some sutch.

to date NEREID is the only one that has betten us do we give her a star or
something, smarty pants.

part hippo and part cow, these were held in place with springs.

the thread is open, zooby, said my question was to easy, so come on guys and
dolls give him a NEREID.

wow ,this thing moves fast IVAN has the question.

While doing my taxes, I sneak in a question when I stop to wipe the blood off of my forehead.

Ivan Seeking said:
My brassiere.

Last edited:
Evo said:
My brassiere.
YIKES! :eek:

What in the world are you WEARING, woman? Where can you even BUY something like that? (or is it custom made? :eek: :biggrin: )

The visuals on this one are scaring me to DEATH! :biggrin:

I can understand that a bra might be part cow (leather) but part hippo?

Also, if Tsunami has access to visuals of Evo wearing a brassiere why can't I find this link?

zoobyshoe said:
I can understand that a bra might be part cow (leather) but part hippo?

Also, if Tsunami has access to visuals of Evo wearing a brassiere why can't I find this link?
It's part of an ensemble, boots, whip... :biggrin: The hippo skin trim gives it an exotic touch. The springs pinch, but are great for flexible support. I just don't know how Ivan found out about it.

You don't want the link zoob, you'd go blind. :wink:

In about 1676 a namesake of one of the star trek captains discovered an interesting electrostatic effect. What did he observe and what was his name?

Ivan Seeking said:
Not an S&M bra, but false teeth. Are you wearing these, Evo?

zoobyshoe said:
Not an S&M bra, but false teeth. Are you wearing these, Evo?
A girl never tells.

False teeth is the correct answer? :eek:

Evo said:
False teeth is the correct answer? :eek:
Yes. This is all part of the famous George Washington false teeth story:

Wooden teeth legend not easy to swallow - norwichbulletin.com
Address:http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/stories/20040217/localnews/426517.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is. :cool:

Evo said:
It's part of an ensemble, boots, whip... :biggrin: The hippo skin trim gives it an exotic touch. The springs pinch, but are great for flexible support. I just don't know how Ivan found out about it.

You don't want the link zoob, you'd go blind. :wink:

go to http://www.io.com/~mlangsdo/RPGs/Minis/GunNuns.html

Sorry, the link is fixed now.

WOW! Thanks for the link, Ivan! Evo! WOW! Who knew?

Anyway:

In about 1676 a namesake of one of the star trek captains discovered an interesting electrostatic effect. What did he observe and what was his name?

Ivan Seeking said:
go to http://www.io.com/~mlangsdo/RPGs/Minis/GunNuns.html

Sorry, the link is fixed now.
Oh, thank goodness! I was afraid he was going to link this:

http://imageuploader.milbrathnet.net/uploads/EvilEvo.JPG

Tsunami said:
Oh, thank goodness! I was afraid he was going to link this:

http://imageuploader.milbrathnet.net/uploads/EvilEvo.JPG
Damn, I didn't realize that I looked that good in a bikini! Just photogenic I guess. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
go to evilevo.org
Uh oh. :eek: :biggrin:

Sorry zooby - In about 1676 a namesake of one of the star trek captains discovered an interesting electrostatic effect. What did he observe and what was his name?

Got another hint?

Evo said:
Damn, I didn't realize that I looked that good in a bikini! Just photogenic I guess.
What does this say? Sorry, I am nearly blind now.
Got another hint?
It involved the element mercury.

zoobyshoe said:
What does this say? Sorry, I am nearly blind now.

It involved the element mercury.
I don't know what it's called, but it was the glowing effect noticed by astonomer Jean Picard when he moved a barometer containing mercury. I vaguely remembered this, but I'm more brain dead than usual tonight.

It was steam-engine powered, 144 ft long and 39 ft in diameter, contained 88,000 cu ft of coal gas, and could go up to 6.7mph.