Theoretical Physics Study Path (it's about tetrads....)

In summary: I really just wanted someone with enough knowledge in alternative gravity theories/GUTs to give their contribution to a simple question. I totally agree than peripherical details can be helpful, just not here.
modellatore
I'm a graduate theoretical physics student at the (almost) end of his master's degree with a fairly varied curriculum, as I attended both QFT (and sub-courses on qed qcd etc) and GR courses. However in my latest intro to quantum gravity classes I familiarised with tetrads and, after a lot of research, I think I found the subject I'd like to specialize in, as I believe they express many interesting and (perhaps) fundamental physical properties. So i guess my questions are:

-How do tetrads fit in modern unification theories (string th., supersymmetry, loop q.g. etc)?
-Is there one of them (or another) where they enter as more fundamental objects rather than a tool to deal with spinors?

Any guidance on the subject is welcome, as I have not the tools and knowledge to navigate all the bibliography to form a solid opinion myself.

Cheers

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
modellatore said:
However in my latest intro to quantum gravity classes I familiarised with tetrads and, after a lot of research, I think I found the subject I'd like to specialize in, as I believe they express many interesting and (perhaps) fundamental physical properties.

modellatore said:
Any guidance on the subject is welcome, as I have not the tools and knowledge to navigate all the bibliography to form a solid opinion myself.
These two sentences appear to contradict one another.

• Wow
Likes vela, Delta2 and Vanadium 50
Unfortunately there's no "tetrad fields in modern theories" list, and I can't go read every publication with "tetrad" in it. So no, studying something for something's sake is different from finding "all the bibliography" where it appears in modern theories

I would not classify tetrads as a subject in and of itself. They are a useful tool in some situations in differential geometry but whatever you can do using tetrads you in principle could do using coordinate bases as well.

Likes Delta2
Why are you not having this conversation with your advisor? That's what they are there for.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why are you not having this conversation with your advisor? That's what they are there for.
Ok but what are PF academic advisors for?

Likes Hall
Vanadium 50 said:
Advisors and professors are not omniscent. The broader audience the higher the chance of an interesting response, but I'm now reconsidering such conclusion

• Love
Likes PeroK and Delta2
Delta2 said:
Ok but what are PF academic advisors for?
Certainly not as a replacement for advisors at one's university.

Vanadium 50 said:
Certainly not as a replacement for advisors at one's university.
As he said advisors at a university are not omniscient but he also might have really bad advisors that know nothing about tetrads. At least if he is in a Greek university you never know what you get there lol. From Gods to scrubs as advisors lol.

@Delta2 -- he needs to be talking to his advisor. We can supplement this, but not replace it. In short -0 you are giving bad advice.

• Skeptical
Likes Delta2 and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
@Delta2 -- he needs to be talking to his advisor. We can supplement this, but not replace it. In short -0 you are giving bad advice.
Assuming what I did and what I did not before asking a wider group of people is extremely presumptuos. Especially given the fact that neither my advisor, nor you, clearly knew the answer to my question. The difference is you're [Mild insult deleted by the Mentors]. The closest answer was Teleparallel Gravity. Case closed
Edit: a good take on this matter is in Delta2's signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Sure it's presumptuous. The alternative, though, is "Why did you talk with your advisor and aren't telling us what he said?" Those are the only two options - and which is more presumptuous?

If you` don't provide facts,m people are going to presume. Since you dion't want to provdie all the facts (nor is it practical) and you don't want people to presume, I can only encourage them to stay silent.

Is that really want you want?

Vanadium 50 said:
Sure it's presumptuous. The alternative, though, is "Why did you talk with your advisor and aren't telling us what he said?" Those are the only two options - and which is more presumptuous?

If you` don't provide facts,m people are going to presume. Since you dion't want to provdie all the facts (nor is it practical) and you don't want people to presume, I can only encourage them to stay silent.

Is that really want you want?
I really just wanted someone with enough knowledge in alternative gravity theories/GUTs to give their contribution to a simple question. I totally agree than peripherical details can be helpful, just not here. I should have formulated it as "IF, and only IF, you know of a theory where tetrads are foundational objects rather than tools to fidget with spinors, could you give me its name?".

Every extra bit is pointless, as what I might or might not know wouldn't help who already knows the answer to such question, as intriguing as it is to debate on the legitimacy of one's right to ask strangers. Not to mention, without the detail of me being a graduate student, there wouldn't have been this discussion in the first place. Who would have I been? A curious kid? A guy with a bet on the legitimacy of tetrads? A professor in search for something new?

However, now I'm a guy with an answer, and that's what I call a relief

Likes Delta2
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

• Wow
Likes Delta2
modellatore said:
However, now I'm a guy with an answer, and that's what I call a relief
Since you have your answer, this thread will remain closed.

• Sad
Likes Delta2

What is the importance of studying tetrads in theoretical physics?

Tetrads, also known as vierbeins or frame fields, are essential tools in theoretical physics as they allow for the translation of mathematical equations into physical observations. They provide a way to connect the abstract concepts of theoretical physics to real-world phenomena, making them a crucial aspect of any study in this field.

How do tetrads relate to the concept of spacetime?

Tetrads are closely related to the concept of spacetime as they are used to describe the local geometry of spacetime. They represent the local basis vectors that define the coordinate system of a particular point in spacetime, and as such, they play a crucial role in understanding the geometry of the universe.

Can you explain the difference between tetrads and tensors?

While both tetrads and tensors are mathematical objects used in theoretical physics, they serve different purposes. Tetrads are used to define the local coordinate system of spacetime, while tensors are used to describe physical quantities such as energy, momentum, and curvature. Tetrads are also considered to be a special type of tensor known as a frame field.

How do tetrads contribute to our understanding of gravity?

Tetrads are an essential tool in the study of gravity as they allow us to describe the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of matter and energy. By using tetrads, we can translate the complex mathematical equations of general relativity into a more intuitive geometric framework, making it easier to visualize and understand the effects of gravity on the universe.

What are some practical applications of tetrads in theoretical physics?

Tetrads have numerous practical applications in theoretical physics, including the study of black holes, cosmology, and quantum gravity. They are also used in the development of theories such as loop quantum gravity and string theory, which aim to reconcile the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics.