Theory of Relativity & Gravity: Is Space Pushing Us to Earth?

In summary, general relativity does not state that gravity is the force of space pushing us towards Earth. Instead, it explains that objects follow a straight-line path in space-time, and what we perceive as gravity is actually the result of this path being altered by the mass of objects. This is in contrast to Newtonian theory, which views gravity as a force between two bodies.
CollinsArg
It may be a silly question because I'm not sure if I really understand the result of this theory, but does it say that gravity is the force of the space pushing us to earth? If it is so I have a question that I'll edit here! thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
CollinsArg said:
does it say that gravity is the force of the space pushing us to earth?
No, general relativity does not say that.

Likes Chestermiller and CollinsArg
CollinsArg said:
It may be a silly question because I'm not sure if I really understand the result of this theory, but does it say that gravity is the force of the space pushing us to earth? If it is so I have a question that I'll edit here! thank you
It says that the "push to Earth" is just following a straight-line path in space-time. There is no "push" needed, since objects will naturally follow a straight-line path.

Likes CollinsArg
@CollinsArg, just to expand slightly on what FactChecker said, Newtonian theory says that gravity is a force that is the result of the natural attraction of two bodies. GR on the other hand says that what we call "gravity" is not a force, it is just the natural result of objects following space-time geodesics created by mass. In GR, your body is following a natural geodesic towards the center of the Earth but the surface of the Earth stops you from following that path.

Likes CollinsArg

1. What is the Theory of Relativity?

The Theory of Relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century that explains the relationship between space, time, and gravity. It is composed of two parts: the Special Theory of Relativity and the General Theory of Relativity.

2. How does the Theory of Relativity relate to gravity?

The Theory of Relativity states that gravity is not a force, but rather a curvature in the fabric of space-time caused by the presence of mass. This means that objects with mass, such as planets, create a "dip" in the space-time continuum, causing other objects to move towards them.

3. Why does gravity cause objects to fall towards the Earth?

According to the Theory of Relativity, the Earth's mass creates a curvature in the fabric of space-time, causing objects to follow a curved path towards the center of the Earth. This is commonly referred to as "falling" or "being pulled" towards the Earth, but in reality, it is the curvature of space-time that causes objects to move in this way.

4. Is space pushing us to Earth, or are we being pulled?

Neither of these statements is completely accurate. As mentioned before, gravity is not a force that pushes or pulls, but rather a curvature in space-time. Objects with mass, such as the Earth, create this curvature, causing other objects to move towards them.

5. Can the Theory of Relativity and gravity be proven?

The Theory of Relativity and the concept of gravity have been extensively tested and have been shown to accurately explain and predict the behavior of objects in space. However, like all scientific theories, they are subject to continued testing and refinement as our understanding of the universe evolves.