There are 4 boxes. One of them contains a lottery ticket

• Thread starter sahil_time
  • Start date
  • Tags
    lottery
In summary, the probability of winning the lottery ticket remains at 0.25 even if someone else has already selected a box, as long as you do not know the outcome of their selection. However, if you do know the outcome, your chances of winning may increase or decrease depending on whether the ticket has already been found.
sahil_time
There are 4 boxes. One of them contains a lottery ticket...

There are 4 boxes. One of them contains a lottery ticket. Others have nothing. My probability that if i select and i win is 1/4 = 0.25. But before me someone selects a box, and i do not know if he has won or lost. What is the probability that if now i go to select i will win.

Physics news on Phys.org
P(you win) = P(you win| first win)*P(first win)+P(you win|first lose)*P(first lose)=0*1/4+1/3*3/4=1/4=0.25

You use the law of total probability, because, the events "first win" and "first loose" are mutually exclusive, and exhaustive.

bobby2k said:
P(you win) = P(you win| first win)*P(first win)+P(you win|first lose)*P(first lose)=0*1/4+1/3*3/4=1/4=0.25

You use the law of total probability, because, the events "first win" and "first loose" are mutually exclusive, and exhaustive.

does that mean that after first person, second person picks a box, then i select still probability will remain 0.25 ? Because for third time it is 3/4*2/3*1/2 = 0.25 ?

The probability remains at 1/4 if you don't know whether those previous one, two (or even three) people picked the winning box. That someone picked a box before you adds no new information. On the other hand, there is new information if you do know the outcome of those previous picks. If one of those people has picked the winning box (and you know it), your a posteriori probability drops to zero. If you know that none of them has picked the winning box, your odds of winning have just increased.

Does the first player leave his chosen box open, or will he close it so that you cannot tell what his choice was?

sahil_time said:
does that mean that after first person, second person picks a box, then i select still probability will remain 0.25 ? Because for third time it is 3/4*2/3*1/2 = 0.25 ?

Yeah, but that was if he kept the box open, so you knew which box he had chosen(but not if there was a prize or not in this). As someone else mentioned it will mean something if he closes the box or not. If he closes the box, and you can choose the same box again, then the probability is 0,1875.

There is an ambiguity here. Do you mean that the other person selects a box and that box is no longer available to select? Or that the other person selects a box, takes the ticket, if any, out of the box without you knowing and leaves it for you to select?

In either case, the probability the first person finds the ticket is 1/4. In the first scenario, if he does, you have 3 boxes to choose from and none have the ticket. The probability the first person does not find the ticket is 3/4. There are three boxes left to choose from and you have probability 1/3 of finding it. The a-priori probability of you finding the ticket is (1/4)(0)+ (3/4)(1/3)= 1/4.

In the second scenario, the if he finds the ticket, all 4 boxes are left but none have the ticket. If the first person does not find the ticket, all 4 boxes are left and you have probability 1/4 of finding the ticket. The a-priori probability of you finding the ticket is (1/4)(0)+ (3/4)(1/4)= 3/16.

D H said:
The probability remains at 1/4 if you don't know whether those previous one, two (or even three) people picked the winning box. That someone picked a box before you adds no new information. On the other hand, there is new information if you do know the outcome of those previous picks. If one of those people has picked the winning box (and you know it), your a posteriori probability drops to zero. If you know that none of them has picked the winning box, your odds of winning have just increased.

I agree.

My reasoning was also strengthened by doing a mind exercise where 1,2,..,n boxes were being offered and all but the first box were blocked and only the 1st was left for me to choose. Well, each box entity had from the get go 1/n, why change now?

jostpuur said:
Does the first player leave his chosen box open, or will he close it so that you cannot tell what his choice was?

The first player takes away that box . Only 3 are available after he chooses. :)

HallsofIvy said:
There is an ambiguity here. Do you mean that the other person selects a box and that box is no longer available to select? Or that the other person selects a box, takes the ticket, if any, out of the box without you knowing and leaves it for you to select?

In either case, the probability the first person finds the ticket is 1/4. In the first scenario, if he does, you have 3 boxes to choose from and none have the ticket. The probability the first person does not find the ticket is 3/4. There are three boxes left to choose from and you have probability 1/3 of finding it. The a-priori probability of you finding the ticket is (1/4)(0)+ (3/4)(1/3)= 1/4.

In the second scenario, the if he finds the ticket, all 4 boxes are left but none have the ticket. If the first person does not find the ticket, all 4 boxes are left and you have probability 1/4 of finding the ticket. The a-priori probability of you finding the ticket is (1/4)(0)+ (3/4)(1/4)= 3/16.

The first player takes away that box . Only 3 are available after he chooses. I think this question has a lot of practical applications. :)

1. What is the probability of winning the lottery ticket?

The probability of winning the lottery ticket depends on the total number of boxes and the number of tickets placed in each box. If there are 4 boxes and only 1 ticket in the winning box, the probability would be 1/4 or 25%.

2. How do you determine which box contains the lottery ticket?

The box containing the lottery ticket is determined by a random selection process. This could be done by using a random number generator or by physically shuffling the boxes and blindly selecting one.

3. Can the lottery ticket be in more than one box?

No, the lottery ticket can only be placed in one box. This is to ensure fairness and equal chances for all participants.

4. Is there a guarantee that the winning box will be chosen?

There is no guarantee that the winning box will be chosen. The selection process is random and the outcome is based on chance.

5. Is it possible to increase the chances of selecting the winning box?

No, it is not possible to increase the chances of selecting the winning box. Each box has an equal chance of being chosen and there is no way to manipulate the selection process.