There is a big bat in my apartment

• Thread starter PhysicsGente
  • Start date
In summary: These are devices that are specifically designed to remove bats from an area. Get a bat destroyer. These are devices that are specifically designed to remove bats from an area.
Haha where do you live OP, USA? I wish there were bats where I live, I never saw one. I think little bats don't attack people

Physics news on Phys.org
Tosh5457 said:
Haha where do you live OP, USA? I wish there were bats where I live, I never saw one. I think little bats don't attack people

Wow, I thought bats were just about everywhere. Do you live at the South Pole :tongue2:?

Tosh5457 said:

Little bats don't attack people; people with little bats attack people.

Kholdstare said:
Just get a paper and pick it up by hand. That is how I catch every living things that invades my house.

Not a good idea. Never touch it! It could bite you when scared and transmit bat rabies.

wukunlin said:
reminds me of a poor sparrow that flew into my house some years ago, kept slamming its head at a window that no one can reach.

Same problem from the inside as from the outside; birds can't see glass. To them, it's open space or in some cases a reflection of what's on the same side as themselves. I'm not sure why, since they have such incredible visual acuity, but it might have to do with their sensitivity extending into UV or perhaps something about polarization.

Danger said:
Same problem from the outside; birds can't see glass. To them, it's open space or in some cases a reflection

Yeah, my wife and I were talking about that very problem yesterday... right after a little bird

thunked our living room picture window. It's a BIG window, too.

She's done considerable research on birds hitting windows and the consensus is... reflection, mostly.

The solution seems to be an outside screen , or fine netting of some kind... diminishes the reflection,

and provides some impact cushioning if they do hit.OCR

Last edited:
Tosh5457 said:

Be careful what you wish for.
I'm currently living in the US, somewhere in Virginia.

Nikitin said:
Keep it. This constant exposure to fear will make you stronger.

Not really. It was here for two days and now I'm traumatized for life.

OCR said:
The solution seems to be an outside screen , or fine netting of some kind... diminishes the reflection,

and provides some impact cushioning if they do hit.

That sounds like a really good idea. Implementation, however, might prove problematic. It wouldn't be either hard or expensive to do, but convincing people won't be easy. It did bring a minor idea to my mind, though; perhaps some sort of fast-scanning laser sweeping windows to make the glass visible to birds without the light being annoying to humans.
I really like the nylon net idea, but it would be a big problem for high-rises or even my two-story house with 40 windows.